LD Andrew Nielsen (2015, 65th, TOR)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Deserves a thread as a likely mid-round selection come June.

Slides in as my 27th rated WHL prospect for the 2015 NHL Draft. Full list can be found here: http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/2015/05/final-whl-rankings-2015-nhl-draft.html

#27 Andrew Nielsen

Team: Lethbridge Hurricanes
Position: D
Shoots: L
Height: 6’3
Weight: 207
GP: 59
Goals: 7
Assists: 17
Pts/Gm: 0.40
PIM: 101

Player Analysis: Andrew Nielsen is a big and rugged two-way blueliner for the Lethbridge Hurricanes…generates plenty of power with his big legs but doesn’t have the prettiest stride…footwork and edges are a bit clunky from time to time but does a decent job getting from point A to point B…speed both forwards and backwards is fairly passable for this stage of his development as a WHL rookie…has a look to him like he has really big feet, which doesn’t help the optics of his overall mobility…has a bit of a rigid and stiff look to his lower body movement at times…lack of overall pure speed and flair in his skating gets made up for with a long reach and good stick…will need to work on his consistency when it comes to reading and reacting to transition plays…had some viewings where he was fantastic in his defensive posture and reaction time but had other games where he was chasing and a step behind the play…plays with an edge and has the size and strength to back it up…isn’t a guy that will lead the rush but does a fairly good job on the offensive side of the puck…can execute clean and simple outlets when given time and space…consistency in his play with the puck will be another area he should improve with more minutes at this level…owns a big shot and should have no issue nearly doubling his goal totals next season…slowly grew his role on the team this year, eventually getting to the point where he was quite clearly the Hurricanes top defender despite being a late-blooming rookie…regularly faced the toughest matchups with plenty of starts in his own zone…saw time both on the powerplay and penalty kill…is a definite late bloomer who needs to have many of his skills refined and polished, but the base exists here…is a late 1996-born player…won the Hurricanes Community Relations Award this season…his 7 goals were good enough to be ranked 9th among all first-year draft-eligible WHL blueliners…scored 4.19% of all Lethbridge Hurricanes goals in 2014-15, the 6th best mark of any first-year draft-eligible WHL defender…was undrafted in the 2011 WHL Bantam Draft, rather being listed by the Hurricanes later down the line…overall I see Nielsen as a big and strong kid who has intriguing tools and was able to stand out despite tough minutes and a tough situation in Lethbridge…I think he has legitimate NHL potential, although he could take some time to develop…at the next level I feel he will be counted on as a defensive player first and foremost, while still possessing the ability to chip in offensively from time to time…I project him as a good #4 style defender at his NHL peak if development goes well and I feel that he’ll come off the board in the 4th round range come June’s NHL Draft, even though I would rate him roughly a round lower than that right now…

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
A prospect I commented on that was going under the radar this preseason. Most were looking at other higher profile prospects. But this kid caught my eye as a straight forward make the simple play D man.

Off to a good start in the WHL.

4G, 6A, 10Pts in 9GP.

Looks like a solid quiet pick in the 3rd rd.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Great write up as always from R S.

The thing that stood out for me about Neilsen is how sharp his developmental curve seems to be.

Playing AAA as a seventeen year old, then as an 18 year old goes from undrafted walk on to WHL top pairing defenseman in the space of one season. That's quite a jump

In the Leafs camps he looked exactly as RS described him. Impressively steady and effective, but visibly toolsy and raw.

Excited to see if he keeps trending up so quickly, could be a good one once he gets more experienced and polished.

Can anyone out west speak as to whether his numbers are reflected in his play and if he's taken another step this season?

Ed Belfour

Nov 9, 2011
Toronto
He was funny to watch during camp because he was noticeable for not being noticeable, for lack of a better way to put it. He would stop a play and make a quick, crisp pass out. Nothing fancy, no nonsense. Never tried anything too crazy. Physical with a good shot.

He'll be an interesting guy to keep an eye on.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Andrew Nielsen is now tied for the 3rd highest scoring Defenceman in the WHL.

15 points in 12 games.

2nd PPG wise.

I'm not going to say Shea Weber like just yet, but the improvement in his offensive stats are very similar.

I made mention of him this preseason and how impressed I was with him. He's a very much under the radar prospect on HF boards.

Got a rocket for a shot.

[NHL]834074[/NHL]

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Lethbridge finally having a competent team probably has something to do with it.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
yeah, I'm really liking the first draft class of Hunter and Dubas. Nielsen going from AAA in 2013-14, to a guy getting top pairing minutes by the end of last year, to the offensive upside he is showing this year is truly intriguing. If this is more than just a hot streak and he finishes near the top of D scoring in the WHL, then he will have far exceeded the expectations of even the people who were highest on him.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Highest PIM of anyone in top 20 WHL D scoring. Mean streak or minors here and there?

No fighting majors but 5 roughing, 2 crosschecking and 2 slashing penalties. Four sets of offsetting minors. Draw from that what you will.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
yeah, I'm really liking the first draft class of Hunter and Dubas. Nielsen going from AAA in 2013-14, to a guy getting top pairing minutes by the end of last year, to the offensive upside he is showing this year is truly intriguing. If this is more than just a hot streak and he finishes near the top of D scoring in the WHL, then he will have far exceeded the expectations of even the people who were highest on him.

At the time, I thought, at least we're not drafting Luke Schenns in the top 5 anymore. How wrong I was. Love the pick. Our scouts are doing a great job.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
He was drafted as a physical defensive defenceman but he's developing into an offensive juggernaut

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
is he the next snaheim, or chase bigras, a defensive minded dmen who developes into a offensive force. Was really happy with this pick back at the draft, his max ceiling could be close to shea webers if he hits it

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
is he the next snaheim, or chase bigras, a defensive minded dmen who developes into a offensive force. Was really happy with this pick back at the draft, his max ceiling could be close to shea webers if he hits it

Shea Weber? I mean I like the pick but lets slow down a little bit lol

thething

Jul 28, 2014

Lol wow, how can you say he has Weber ceiling if you don't know if he's like Sanheim or Bigras?

Nielsen has been good but he isn't the best/most important player on the team which he would be if he had the potential of those guys.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Lol wow, how can you say he has Weber ceiling if you don't know if he's like Sanheim or Bigras?

Nielsen has been good but he isn't the best/most important player on the team which he would be if he had the potential of those guys.
i mean that would be the max(dream scenario) but not a scenario i would say is likely to happen and I would say right now he is not anywhere close to that. My bad i didn't mean to say that is what people should think his max ceiling will be. Its what i think his max ceiling could be if he develops insanely(i said this when he was drafted too not just now). However yeah my thats what my opinion is, i think if he improves his skating, and keeps getting reps and practice he can become a really good player(with weber being the extreme example usen). He started playing hockey pretty late so i hope he can develop a great amount over the next few years

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
In his post-draft year, Weber had 32 points in 60 games. Draft year + 2 was 41 points in 55 games.

So I guess Nielsen has the potential to be the next Weber. But so do fifty other defensemen who were drafted in the last couple of years. Weber was a very late bloomer.

If he can even be a decent middle pairing option, that's fantastic for a 3rd round pick.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
So, haven't really watched him play, but some leaf fans claim he'd be selected in the 1st round in a re-draft. I felt like that obviously might have been an exaggeration, but what does the general community think? I haven't watched any games to be able to express an opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad