LD Alexander Nikishin - SKA St.Petersburg, KHL (2020, 69th, CAR)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
"So in a way yes, it makes no sense to praise one for being "remarkable" but be unsure (at best) about the other."

If it does not make sense to you, then yes, you are biased. It's okay to like one prospect on his own. It's okay to be unsure about some aspects of another's game on his own. The two are not twins. What does one has to do with the other?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
So does Nikishin play PP and PK now?

when might he come to nhl?
If memory serves they have injury issues. That's why he is promoted to PP. He is one of Spartak's relied upon DD's though, so he was always playing PK this season.

As for the NHL he should follow Gavrikov's footsteps. That's who I would compare him to. Gavrikov came over at 23-24. Plenty of time for Nikishin to work on his game.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Named to the Russia's roster for the Olympics.

What's your view on his ability to translate to the NHL? I've seen lots of highlights of big hits and what now, but I just don't know enough about him. Does he have the skating and defensive IQ to succeed in the NHL?

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
What's your view on his ability to translate to the NHL? I've seen lots of highlights of big hits and what now, but I just don't know enough about him. Does he have the skating and defensive IQ to succeed in the NHL?

Depends on what his development looks further, but in terms of the potential my opinion is that we can think about the 2nd pairing in the NHL.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I'd say so.
Depends on what his development looks further, but in terms of the potential my opinion is that we can think about the 2nd pairing in the NHL.
Bit late to the party but at this point, even a low-end 1st pair doesn't seem out of the question. His puck skills are coming along nicely. Holistically, there just aren't many holes in his game for a defenseman with that kind of size and physical ability.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
For those that watch him.

a) How is his skating. Not just straighline speed, but the ability to transition quickly as that's critical for any NHL defensemen (not saying it isn't critical for the KHL too, I just don't watch the KHL).

b) How is his quick decision making process. As a Canes fans, one of the things that stands out with guys like Pesce and Slavin is that they are able to make quick decisions (both with the puck and without) and the vast majority of time, they make the right call.

Carolina typically plays an aggressive style that has the defensemen pinching and jumping into the play a lot and they play tight gaps in the neutral zone so these two items are key to a defenseman's success in Carolina.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
His skating is slightly above average which is still outstanding for a 20 yo his size. Regarding the 2nd point, I don't feel I have watched him close enough to give a confident answer since you don't really get exposed in the KHL the same way and he plays with Heed most of the time so often the only decision he has to make is to give the puck to his defense partner by design.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
You would think SKA would only give up that kind of package if there was some kind of assurance from Nikishin that he was planning to stay around the KHL for a while.

Reactions: kp61c

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
It depends. If Chibrikov and Svechkov resign with Spartak next year, it's a lot. If not, it's not. There is a chance they will go to NA next season.
Knowing the Jets, there will be a huge push to get Chibrikov to the moose/jets next season once he's a UFA

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
You would think SKA would only give up that kind of package if there was some kind of assurance from Nikishin that he was planning to stay around the KHL for a while.

Word is he is signing a 3 year contract. Great for SKA. Not great for Carolina.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

Not ideal, no, but CAR is good on the left slide with Slavin signed for 3 more yrs and Skjei for 2 more. Nikishin getting 20mins a night or more in the KHL for the next 3 yrs works out pretty well when they’ll need him to step in, potentially right into their top 4 on his ELC.

Grudinin might be ready by then too, who knows. Wouldn’t they now be teammates?

Reactions: DaveG

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
So he has signed until the end of 2024/25, great for SKA, probably great for Nikishin too, as the salary increase should be really notable. Not great for Carolina, but I don't think it is tragic for them either, as effectively it is just one more year than it was previously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad