Proposal: Lazar for your U-23 roster winger

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
I'd think Ottawa is overpaying.
Imo you could snag Yak for a 2nd and trade Lazar for something better than that.

Oh, do tell, what does the player who is 1.25 years younger and who has never had one season as good as Yakupov's two best fetch that is "better than" a 2nd?

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
My optimistic view on Lazar when originally drafted was that he would be an awesome bottom 6 forward while contributing around 15 goals/40points a year.

Lazar has terrible advanced statistics and has shown near zero level of offensive ability at the NHL level. He has pretty much cemented himself as a bottom line energy guy at this point early on in his career.

Does he have a chance to fulfill my original hopes for him? Sure. I'm just disappointed in the fact that he has really shown zero offensive flashes.

I hope the new coaching staff gives him a clear role this coming year as it seems that has been lacking for him early on in his career.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
90% chance Lazar is protected..

Turris/Ryan/Hoffman/Stone/Brassard/Pageau/Lazar

Leave Mac unprotected due to injury history (not likely he gets taken for that reason)

I assume we leave him unprotected regardless, in hopes Vegas takes him over Methot.
Also, if Smith re-signs before the draft, we leave Lazar unprotected anyways.

Personally, I roll the dice on leaving him unprotected. He's no Methot, but he's also not in his 30's on a brand new team.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
This is exactly why the deal makes no sense for Ottawa. Yak isn't going to unseat Stone or Ryan. He'd be in the bottom six in Ottawa.

Ottawa needs decent role players in the bottom six too. Keeping Lazar makes the most sense.

Your team doesn't make sense if it still lives by the bottom 6/top 6 mentality. The NHL is very much a top 9/bottom 3 league.

You have to roll three "scoring" lines and 4 th that can play 10 effective shut down minutes a night.

Yakupov's problem isn't that he was on the 3rd line, it was that he is very much a supplementary player. He needs a creative playmaker to succeed. He played his vest hockey with McDavid and Roy, and not so great hockey with Leetstu (sp?) and Lander.

In this scenerio he would likely line up with Pageau behind Brassard and Turris, so you have to believe Pageau can do that for him. If you do, it could do wonders for the team.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Oh, do tell, what does the player who is 1.25 years younger and who has never had one season as good as Yakupov's two best fetch that is "better than" a 2nd?

I just see Yak as trending way down. And Lazar, who isn't killing it by any means, having more room to improve. Yak could end up as a good project, hope he isn't entirely damaged - but I'd personally pay a bit more for Lazar, if both were side by side.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
You won't get much for Lazar, it'll be a 3rd liner for 3rd liner type trade, so I wouldn't expect a really good AHLer kept off the team due to better talent blocking him because that would mean it's an A-level prospect.

For the habs, the closest in value would be Sven Andrighetto but only in the off-season when Desharnais is gone. He's been good for the most part on the habs, but he's been used as a 1st line winger (lol) which he clearly is not. He can fill into the 2nd line occasionally imo, but would best be suited on the 3rd line. He'll be slotted into the 2nd line this year I imagine. Definitely not a frustrating player yet, he's a quick and small skilled winger.

I'd say more along the lines of lehkonen as opposed to ghetto. But lehks and lazar are essentially the same player

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
There is so much wrong in this thread... Sens are NOT shopping Lazar. Maybe a few impatient fans would, but Ottawa isn't shopping Lazar at all.

Hopefully other GM:s haven't realized how bad he is.

Just a note to say that this opinion isn't shared by the Sens management and fanbase. Many are disappointed by Lazar's offensive numbers so far but that's it. The Kid just turned 21, the age most forwards START playing in the NHL.

Yeah, put me down as another Oilers fan who would do Yak for Lazar. Helps both clubs.

Sorry but how does it help Ottawa exactly?

Sure the hype that comes with the name would look good on Ottawa's 3rd line but would he really help to win hockey games over Lazar?

Lazar
19yo = 67-6-9-15
20yo = 76-6-14-20

Fisher
19yo = 32-4-5-9
20yo = 60-7-12-19
21yo = 58-15-9-24

Doan
19yo = 74-7-10-17
20yo = 63-4-8-12
21yo = 33-5-6-11
22yo = 79-6-16-22

Pacioretty
20yo = 34-3-8-11
21yo = 52-3-11-14

RyJo
19yo = 67-9-12-21
20yo = 40-5-7-12

Backlund
20yo = 23-1-9-10
21yo = 73-10-15-25
22yo = 41-4-7-11

I could keep going all day because just about everybody outside of the top-2 picks every years looks like this, if they make the NHL.

I attest this, having followed the NHL for a quarter century now, most NHL players have modest debuts in the league, except the exceptionnals and a few "anomalies" or late bloomers

And I like the Mike Fisher comparison. It's true that Lazar reminds me of a young Fisher, which would be awesome for the Sens.

always wondered if lazar should have spent some more time in the minors and gone to the ahl then nhl would have probably better for his dev. Leafs have a plethora of players/prospects to offer take your pick(reasonable one)

Maybe, maybe not, there is no reason to really know. My opinion is that he won't change much in the end. It's just that he is slowly gets promoted at the NHL level with more responsibility every year, instead of having been one of the main guys in the AHL. That doesn't guarantee at all that he would have become a top scorer. IMO, he is what he is, a young valuable 2-way top-9 forward that is developing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad