Proposal: Lazar for your U-23 roster winger

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Quote from Ryan Rishaug of TSN.

Yakupov doesnt have the value some people think he has.

And they're not actively shopping him if that's the expected return. Value's not there? He stays in Edmonton. The same would go for Lazar in Ottawa.

And I've never understood the valuating of players with draft picks. What is Lazar's value? A late 2nd? Is that considered much better than the perceived 3rd for Yakupov?

I think that this deal makes a lot of sense with the player-city connection and the fact that Yakupov is going to be a cheap scoring option for a few more years unless he breaks out this season. But like a lot of Sens fans on Lazar, I'd like to give Yakupov half a season post-Taylor Hall to see if he can put together some good games.

Not a bad offer, but let's revisit at the deadline.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Lazar probably isn't available, because the organization is probably still a lot higher on him than the OP is.

These were his 19 & 20yo seasons.
- Improved his PPG to just over 1/4. Expecting further improvement to 1/3 (27/82) or maybe even half (41/82).
- starting to get PK time (1:24/gp last year)
- has posted an average of 2 hits a game in his career.
- played C, RW and LW up and down the lineup which adds versatility, though probably isn't as good for his development as playing in 1 role.

He's basically on the Mike Fisher track. Fisher was a 4th liner at this point in his career.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
What's the biggest reason? Is it because the Senators have a crappy blueline behind Karlsson? Still not a good reason for a player to be untouchable. A decent middle pairing defenseman who maybe will maybe be a maybe passable #2 one day is not untouchable in any regular person's book.

Ceci will lockdown that 2nd RD spot for the next 13 years. Thats very valuable.

Sens defense is far from crappy. We have a legit #1, #2, #3 and #4.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Lazar is the current poster child for brought up too soon. I mean, he made the Sens as a 19 year old to play limited minutes and be shuffled around multiple positions. Didn't make any sense.

He's still waiver exempt, so he should probably be in the AHL, playing top-line minutes/pp/pk for at least the first half of the season. See what he can do.

If I'm a team trading for him, I consider him a prospect given his young age but complete lack of accomplishment in the AHL.

I think if Ottawa is going to move him, you are looking for a better but older player. Someone with limited upside only a year or two from UFA.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
What's the biggest reason? Is it because the Senators have a crappy blueline behind Karlsson? Still not a good reason for a player to be untouchable. A decent middle pairing defenseman who maybe will maybe be a maybe passable #2 one day is not untouchable in any regular person's book.

The team just got burned because they left a top-4 hole and expected Wiercioch or Cowen to step up. They are not going to trade a 22yo, top-4 d-man. There are lots of reasons not to do it and few realistic possibilities would change that opinion.

Do you want to start listing implausible scenarios where it's a good idea to trade him or do you wish to continue arguing the semantics of using the word "untouchable"? ... perhaps you could bring up the Gretzky trade in your response.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
It was last reported the Oilers want a 3rd for Yak. Sens woudnt accept a 3rd for Lazar. Yakupov doesnt get you Lazar.

It was reported that some teams were only offering a 3rd for Yak. There is no way Edmonton would accept that.

If he could be had for a 3rd you would have 29 interested teams

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Which is a hilarious statement about the Senators. Ceci isn't even close to being a top-2 defenseman. Like I said, one of the most overrated players around here. Just because a player is from Ottawa is no reason for him to be untouchable... :laugh:

I'd take JT Miller over Ceci in a heartbeat, and y'all know how I feel about the Rangers.
Welp ,if Millar Played with Cowen and Wiercioch .i wonder what most would think about him .Ceci has carried those two worthless sacks since he came into the league at 20 ,and if you bothered to watch him instead of just looking at his stats you would see what most see:nod:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Which roster winger 23 or younger, would you be willing to part with for Curtis Lazar?

Not looking for spare parts, but one roster player (or really good AHL:er kept off the roster due to quality and quantity up front).

This depends on what the team trading views Lazar as long term.
What is he?
An NHL top 6 forward?
An NHL bottom 6 forward?

If you answer bottom 6 then what do you consider spare parts?
You probably get another teams equivalent.
For example the Leafs just recently traded Harrington for Rychel.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
There's absolutely no point in trading Lazar anytime soon. What he needs is to show he can produce at the NHL level this year, or be demoted to the AHL to find his offensive feet, if he has any. Then Ottawa might look at a bust for bust, but why now? There's no one out there ready to offer anything that Ottawa would want, so it'd be trade for the sake of trade.

Pass.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
It was last reported the Oilers want a 3rd for Yak. Sens woudnt accept a 3rd for Lazar. Yakupov doesnt get you Lazar.

No. Ryan Rishaug last reported the price for Yak was a 3rd or late 2nd. PC last said Yak isn't being shopped...so there's that.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Just be patient with Lazar. As a Flames fan I have an idea of your frustration with him. We are currently sitting on Shinkaruk, Emile Poirier and Morgan Klimchuk from that draft.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Hopefully other GM:s haven't realized how bad he is.

Man peddle this crap somewhere else. This does not represent anyone other than you're very own personal dubious opinion. Lazar is not your shiney little toy of a prospect that promises dangles and top cheese highlights but the facts are he is an effective bottom 6 player that is improving in multiple facets.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
always wondered if lazar should have spent some more time in the minors and gone to the ahl then nhl would have probably better for his dev. Leafs have a plethora of players/prospects to offer take your pick(reasonable one)

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
This depends on what the team trading views Lazar as long term.
What is he?
An NHL top 6 forward?
An NHL bottom 6 forward?

If you answer bottom 6 then what do you consider spare parts?
You probably get another teams equivalent.
For example the Leafs just recently traded Harrington for Rychel.

Middle-6 forward, leaning towards 3rd line C or RW and 2nd line fill-in. Perhaps, if he steadily improves offensively, he could be a 2nd line RW on a more permanent basis.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Don't want to trade Lazar. Sens made a lot of mistakes in his development. He has too many intangibles, and is one of the few guys on the team that goes hard to the net.

He'll never be a 'pretty' goal scorer, but he'll be the guy who will get a ton of hard points by being a bulldog in the paint and making life miserable for the opposition.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Quote from Ryan Rishaug of TSN.

Yakupov doesnt have the value some people think he has.

That's what was being offered for him, not what the Oilers would accept. It's fair to say Yakupov's value to "some clubs"(who knows how many) is a third round pick, but just because there was a quote on that doesn't mean people haven't been calling up and offering the Sens a third for Lazar and getting shot down. He's not really being shopped so that situation hasn't presented itself enough to be mentioned by the press, that's all.

Anyway, in real world scenario Lazar and Yakupov are probably pretty equal value in most gm's minds. No reason to trade Lazar at this point though his potential is worth more than his value whereas Yak is in the position where his ceiling is being less and less regarded as valuable as the years roll on.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I'd easily trade Lazar for Yakupov as a Sens fan. Easily.

Max McCormick can come in and do Lazar's job no problem, or Nick Paul, or other prospects we have.

I think it could be a good trade for both teams actually.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
I don't think the rest of HF realizes how bad Lazar is.
Is he Hoffman bad at 20 years old? You know, the same Mike Hoffman who couldn't get a regular NHL shift till he was 25 and now makes over $5m per.

If any fan base should know not to give up on a prospect it should be Ottawa's.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Man peddle this crap somewhere else. This does not represent anyone other than you're very own personal dubious opinion. Lazar is not your shiney little toy of a prospect that promises dangles and top cheese highlights but the facts are he is an effective bottom 6 player that is improving in multiple facets.

Are you trying to tell me that the majority of Ottawa fans DON'T view Lazar as disappointing at this point?

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I'd easily trade Lazar for Yakupov as a Sens fan. Easily.

Max McCormick can come in and do Lazar's job no problem, or Nick Paul, or other prospects we have.

I think it could be a good trade for both teams actually.
I'd think Ottawa is overpaying.
Imo you could snag Yak for a 2nd and trade Lazar for something better than that.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
2+2 = 4 . You don't have to see rumours all the time to believe them . Often times rumours is someone putting things together . I have said this before and each time I added it a gut feeling .

Lets look at the facts

1) When Mac T was GM he went behind the bench because there was a known problem in the dressing room .

2) Yakupov does not fit with Hall's and Eberle MO . Not that they are bad . This is not a Kane situation . The are young rich kids with money to burn and they probably have beautiful women throwing theirselves at them .

3) It been well accepted by fans that Yakupov is isolated

4) It well accepted Hall has his own little group he sticks with .

5) I never mention this before . I talked with a person who has a nephew who is a Oiler prospect . He stated that his nephew roomed with RNH for a time in BC and RNH even mention to him Hall is a problem .

If a mod wants to talk to me about this they can . Other wise I will end it there

Still no links to items 1-4? Sounds like gossip.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Are you trying to tell me that the majority of Ottawa fans DON'T view Lazar as disappointing at this point?

Lazar
19yo = 67-6-9-15
20yo = 76-6-14-20

Fisher
19yo = 32-4-5-9
20yo = 60-7-12-19
21yo = 58-15-9-24

Doan
19yo = 74-7-10-17
20yo = 63-4-8-12
21yo = 33-5-6-11
22yo = 79-6-16-22

Pacioretty
20yo = 34-3-8-11
21yo = 52-3-11-14

RyJo
19yo = 67-9-12-21
20yo = 40-5-7-12

Backlund
20yo = 23-1-9-10
21yo = 73-10-15-25
22yo = 41-4-7-11

I could keep going all day because just about everybody outside of the top-2 picks every years looks like this, if they make the NHL.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I have not made a survey on it and the 100 or so HFSens fans (max) that would bother to complete such a poll is not really enough to call a majority.

It is one thing to say you are disappointed in one or more aspects of his play and a totally other thing to say "Hopefully other GM:s haven't realized how bad he is" wouldn't you say? Disappointment vs expectations have to be measured.

Further a fan might be disappointed but willing to be more patient as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad