Confirmed with Link: Lawrence Gilman, Lorne Henning, Eric Crawford AND Mike Burnstein fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Not really as smart as he was wise. He was like the grandpa who was filled with knowledge. Not to downplay how smart he was, because the man was incredibly smart. But I've never seen a man with that kind of a re-call ability. He could tell you who the Vancouver Blazers' powerplay ran.

Also had inside intimate knowledge of virtually every personality in Vancouver sports and could talk fine cigars and whiskeys. He was a lawyer too so he'd give insanely in-depth run downs of contracts and CBA deals. Unfortunately the trolls here ran him off from what I remember.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Weird move firing the trainer. Be interesting to hear Linden's justifications for it. Maybe after 19 years or whatever it's been, the front office felt he was a dinosaur and wanted a more modern approach to training.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Weird move firing the trainer. Be interesting to hear Linden's justifications for it. Maybe after 19 years or whatever it's been, the front office felt he was a dinosaur and wanted a more modern approach to training.

I can't wait until the day management has the same approach to one of our head scouts.

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Also had inside intimate knowledge of virtually every personality in Vancouver sports and could talk fine cigars and whiskeys. He was a lawyer too so he'd give insanely in-depth run downs of contracts and CBA deals. Unfortunately the trolls here ran him off from what I remember.

I've heard different things, but I do miss Wet. I hope he's still kicking around somewhere with a bottle of Macallan and a fine Cuban laughing.

GranvilleIsland

Feb 26, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.
So is Linden just as figure head. Also why was TC Carling in the press box is he going from PR guy to scout? I guess if Brandon Benning can be a scout then anyone can.

Alpha

英霊
Dec 15, 2011
Not really as smart as he was wise. He was like the grandpa who was filled with knowledge. Not to downplay how smart he was, because the man was incredibly smart. But I've never seen a man with that kind of a re-call ability. He could tell you who the Vancouver Blazers' powerplay ran.

Where is he now?

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
From Gilman:

He was asked if he was surprised by the announcement.

“I’ve been in this business for 20 years and there are signs you recognize,” he said. “It looked like they wanted to move in a new direction.”

Was he marginalized in the new administration?

“I comported myself in the same manner I did for the previous regime,” he said. “Sometimes my counsel was heeded. Sometimes it wasn’t, but that’s no different than it was under Mike. That’s the sign of a healthy organization.”

The Jesus*

From Gilman:

He was asked if he was surprised by the announcement.

“I’ve been in this business for 20 years and there are signs you recognize,†he said. “It looked like they wanted to move in a new direction.â€

Was he marginalized in the new administration?

“I comported myself in the same manner I did for the previous regime,†he said. “Sometimes my counsel was heeded. Sometimes it wasn’t, but that’s no different than it was under Mike. That’s the sign of a healthy organization.â€

Maybe he would have been heeded more if he stopped using words like comported :sarcasm:

The Jesus*

I was hoping the part where he said it was no different then when mike was here would stick more.

I was just making a joke.

But it sure looks like our management is ridding itself of dissenting opinions. Which to me, is not the sign of a healthy organization. Dissenting opinions usually result from seeing things from a different vantage point, which is something healthy organizations embrace. Perspective is a good thing.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
I was hoping the part where he said it was no different then when mike was here would stick more.

Regardless of my opinion of the individuals involved - you don't expect a guy who probably wants to work again to go out guns blazing, do you?

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Well there's definitely only two options. :thumbu:

Hey maybe Gilman was a ****** AGM anyways, the fact that he was well liked apparently means he's by definition overrated.. did he have a Twitter account?

Why post stuff like this? Another on the ignore list.

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015

Maybe we have not heard from Linden because he doesn't know why he was fired. Perhaps Wise-braud did this without consulting anyone, asserting his authority.

Will be interesting to see if the Canucks sign some NCAA guy to come in and act as the new trainer. One thing I am disappointed about re Wise-Braud is his clear preference for US born talent. The one upside with Benning and Linden was that I though the Canucks might finally tap into the WHL more often.

Wise-Braud appears to have a woody for USHL and NCAA.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
You should read the comments on their facebook posts. Sounds like there are a lot of fans of the team who believe Linden and Benning do no wrong.

This is so sad and frustrating.

There are simply so many people who became fans AFTER 2011 and think that the team since then has been the worst it could ever get, with Linden and Benning bringing fresh legitimate change.

Until those fans start to lose faith, Benning and Weisbrod are completely secure. :(

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
I was just making a joke.

But it sure looks like our management is ridding itself of dissenting opinions. Which to me, is not the sign of a healthy organization. Dissenting opinions usually result from seeing things from a different vantage point, which is something healthy organizations embrace. Perspective is a good thing.

I agree, but where there is a vast discrepancy between overriding philosophy as to how to build an organization in a grand sense, it probably does not make sense to have competing opinions.

The Jesus*

I agree, but where there is a vast discrepancy between overriding philosophy as to how to build an organization in a grand sense, it probably does not make sense to have competing opinions.

Why not? There is value in other perspectives. Even if we all believe this 90's style of hockey Benning seems to embrace is the wrong philosophy and direction for the team relative the state of the NHL, that is not to say there is no worth or nothing to be gleaned from that perspective.

If we were going the completely opposite direction and trying to be a skilled and possession sort of team, I think there would be value in having someone like Jim Benning at the table. It's a little disheartening to see Jim doesn't seem to think likewise the contrary.

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
Why not? There is value in other perspectives. Even if we all believe this 90's style of hockey Benning seems to embrace is the wrong philosophy and direction for the team relative the state of the NHL, that is not to say there is no worth or nothing to be gleaned from that perspective.

If we were going the completely opposite direction and trying to be a skilled and possession sort of team, I think there would be value in having someone like Jim Benning at the table.

I think there is value if differing opinions, but not when there is a completely different point of view with respect to the broad philosophy of the organization. You have to work toward a common goal.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
This is literally the worst endorsement I've ever heard. It's like Paris Hilton handicapping this year's Booker Prize.

As for Weisbrod, he was an unmitigated disaster in Calgary. Full stop. Is a joke in that city. Someone earlier called him a cockroach who infests weak organizations and that sounds spot on.

Lmao I think that was me actually. Thought the analogy perfectly described him. :laugh:

How do you figure that one? What exactly did Gillis do? Trade away 2 franchise goalies? Throw an absurd amount of money at Mats Sundin? Keith Ballard? He got a core that was fully intact. He couldn't draft. You're overrating him.

He was a lot smarter than the current GM at least in just about all aspects of managing a team. It's not even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad