Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors, and Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
What moves should we make this offseason? Who should stay and go? Will we be active in the UFA/trade market? Will anyone be bought out?

Discuss all offseason roster matters in here.

Hello!

I wanted to know (and figure asking here makes more sense than the trade board) if the Columbus Blue Jackets would do this trade:

To Boston:

LW/RW Patrik Laine ($3,700,000 Retained) at $5,000,000

To Columbus:

Whatever Boston gets for Ullmark (10th overall from NJ, etc)
+
?

The rationale is to give him a fresh start and avoid sending players not needed to CLB. While we don't know what exactly will be in the Ullmark return, we have lots of information to gauge it.

I think he is a great fit in the Boston culture and lineup and worth the risk. I also don't see him as a pure dump for CLB if they retain.

Can you all please share the value you see Laine being worth and if it is off in this case.

Cheers!

Reactions: Toe Pick

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Hello!

I wanted to know (and figure asking here makes more sense than the trade board) if the Columbus Blue Jackets would do this trade:

To Boston:

To Columbus:

+
?

The rationale is to give him a fresh start and avoid sending players not needed to CLB. While we don't know what exactly will be in the Ullmark return, we have lots of information to gauge it.

I think he is a great fit in the Boston culture and lineup and worth the risk. I also don't see him as a pure dump for CLB if they retain.

Can you all please share the value you see Laine being worth and if it is off in this case.

Cheers!
I’d do it but I’m not quite sure CBJ ownership is willing to retain on any long term transactions. They certainly haven’t yet to date, other than on players expiring at the deadline.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I’d do it but I’m not quite sure CBJ ownership is willing to retain on any long term transactions. They certainly haven’t yet to date, other than on players expiring at the deadline.
Thanks. It's good to know what the priorities are in CLB when discussing a trade and perhaps two years retaining $3,700,000 is high, but I countered that with the 1st round pick = $4,000,000 cap space idea.

That's assuming Ullmark is moved for a 1st and then the Bruins flip that to Columbus right away before the draft.

I see the Columbus wings being deep and same as the prospect pool so either a young C with potential or a 1st being the targets.

Cheers!

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Thanks. It's good to know what the priorities are in CLB when discussing a trade and perhaps two years retaining $3,700,000 is high, but I countered that with the 1st round pick = $4,000,000 cap space idea.

That's assuming Ullmark is moved for a 1st and then the Bruins flip that to Columbus right away before the draft.

I see the Columbus wings being deep and same as the prospect pool so either a young C with potential or a 1st being the targets.

Cheers!
I just got home but my first glance is the hypothetical 10th overall 2024 and a 2026 3rd with heavy conditionals. That 2026 3rd would escalate to the 2026 2nd if Laine plays in 100 regular season games during the remainder of his contract (60% ish) and the 2026 1st if played in 130 regular season games.

Retention is expensive and you are right its about 3.5-4 mil for a 1st at the current market so the idea is that if Laine busts outs and remain healthy we essentially get our money back with "interest" more but if he bombs out or if he's traded before the 2026 conditional is met then you cut your losses and is basically treated as a rental.

Reactions: Coach Parker

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Hello!

To Boston:

To Columbus:

+
?

Cheers!
Don't even need the "+". Would be a gift to ship Laine out and only retain $3.7m.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Hello!

To Boston:

To Columbus:

+
?

Cheers!

If you can get a top 12-13 pick in this draft I think it would be a wise swap for the Jackets. Even if it was 50% retention, $4.35m, the club is in a position for the next two years where the cap isn't that important. Our young players are still too inconsistent to merit big money extensions.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If you can get a top 12-13 pick in this draft I think it would be a wise swap for the Jackets. Even if it was 50% retention, $4.35m, the club is in a position for the next two years where the cap isn't that important. Our young players are still too inconsistent to merit big money extensions.
True vis-a-vis the cap but its still 4.35mm dollars out the door.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I hope Waddell is very, very careful in handing out anything but very short term deals.

It's essential that the roster becomes cohesive both on and off the ice. If there are players who are disruptive to team unity or are just plain selfish PITAs who suck to be around, they can't be part of the group going forward.

Jarmo had a lot of weaknesses, but one of his most glaring IMO was his utter inability to read the character and personalities of the players. His most highly paid players and his leadership group have had milque toast personalities (Z/Gaudreau/Jenner), are problem children (Elvis) or are so damaged that they need long term psych care. Let's not forget about his read on PLD as well.

Note: Not every player has to be Mr. Personality, but when none of your "leaders" seem to have much of it that's a problem IMO. Jenner and Z are very worthy players and decent guys from what I can see.

There are probably more than a few more that a healthy organization wouldn't want on the roster as well-who they are and how many of them there are I have no idea. If there are under performing prima-donnas, they need to go as well.

Waddell has his work cut out on him on so many levels. The frightening incompetence of the Jarmo and JD decade and the disengaged and disinterested ownership has left this organization a complete mess.

Reactions: Napoli and EspenK

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
This team has been dysfunctional for years. I know we are not supposed to post rumors here, and I haven’t, but there were rumors around Columbus about stuff going down at or after a party that may or may not have been Seth Jones birthday party which may or may not have led to a big COVID outbreak for the team. Some speculated that led to PLD wanting out. All I know is that since that time, PLD did want out, Jones wanted out, Gavrikov didn’t seem to sad to leave, and the team has been bad. Torts obviously wanted out. Jarmo kept saying we just needed to retool not rebuild. We have gone through a ton of coaches. You could argue that stuff goes back even further with Bob and Panarin wanting out or Josh Anderson being unhappy.

I don’t know what has been going on in Columbus, and I don’t know what rumors are true but something has been definitely going on. I don’t know if a bunch of first time coaching hires (surrounded by a dumb coaching hire with little in the way of background research) hired internally was the right path given all the internal dysfunction.

I do know that I am pretty happy we brought in an outsider who seems to be trying to solve the problem or problems. This team has had its head in the sand for years. I don’t think it will be a quick turn around. I am optimistic that we might actually be turning it around now.

I don’t know what the next moves are. I would be ok with Boone losing the C. He has been here through the dysfunction and nothing got better. He might not have been part of the problem (who knows) but he certainly couldn’t correct for what was going on. I am ok with any and all trades. Personally, nobody is off the table. I am making no assumptions about any potential development by anyone. I don’t know that anyone on this team is going to be a 1C or a 1 RD, and those are the most important positions in hockey. That kind of scares me. I am on board with the Fantilli and Jiricek picks, but I am not willing to say we have solved 1C and 1RD and we just have to wait.

“You’re not letting players dictate who your coach is, but you heard some things that probably weren’t what I expected to hear."

Not what you want to hear from your new GM. Can't say I'm surprised but it's a bit concerning. Hope it was just Vincent...

It is concerning, but I think also necessary.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
This team has been dysfunctional for years. I know we are not supposed to post rumors here, and I haven’t, but there were rumors around Columbus about stuff going down at or after a party that may or may not have been Seth Jones birthday party which may or may not have led to a big COVID outbreak for the team. Some speculated that led to PLD wanting out. All I know is that since that time, PLD did want out, Jones wanted out, Gavrikov didn’t seem to sad to leave, and the team has been bad. Torts obviously wanted out. Jarmo kept saying we just needed to retool not rebuild. We have gone through a ton of coaches. You could argue that stuff goes back even further with Bob and Panarin wanting out or Josh Anderson being unhappy.

From what we've heard, the reasons vary tremendously player to player.

Gavrikov if I remember correctly was salty that we didn't offer him enough, it seemed like he was eager for a long term deal here. [I hope he still gets one here]

Jarmo forced Anderson to sign a three year deal, he wouldn't give Anderson a short term offer, so when he approached UFA, Anderson made some high demands that we thankfully didn't meet.

Reactions: LJ7 and MoeBartoli

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
First of all Jarmo should never have had Gaudreau, I said it then and I have always said it. We lost Bjorkstrand because of that. Also Roslovic's resign was not too ideal. Then the next season he signed Severson, even though we needed a tough, defensive defenseman.

We had excellent lines:

Nyquist - Jenner - Laine
Domi - Sillinger - Bjorkstrand

Instead of point changes, the team composition was destroyed.

Last edited:
Reactions: domi28

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
First of all Jarmo should never have had Gaudreau, I said it then and I have always said it. We lost Bjorkstrand because of that. Also Roslovic's resign was not too ideal. Then the next season he signed Severson, even though we needed a tough, defensive defenseman.

We had excellent lines:

Nyquist - Jenner - Laine
Domi - Sillinger - Bjorkstrand

Instead of point changes, the team composition was destroyed.
I agree the signing of Johnny Hockey was a mistake. At the time it was exciting for fans and in some ways a deal Jarmo was hard-pressed to pass at the opportunity. But as Porty has said before this team was not ready for it based on where they were.

While the record nor coaching wasn’t great doing Lars first year, the young players and pipeline was promising and the rebuild on a good path. Signing Johnny led to premature optimism and some bad moves based on the mirage. Jarmo took a detour and lost track of the direction. Bjorkstrand traded, Babcock hiring, Severson signing, and false expectation messaging to the fans and ownership. Winning (yes, we all want to win) took precedence over development. The result - a total FUBAR.

Reactions: Napoli

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I agree the signing of Johnny Hockey was a mistake. At the time it was exciting for fans and in some ways a deal Jarmo was hard-pressed to pass at the opportunity. But as Porty has said before this team was not ready for it based on where they were.

While the record nor coaching wasn’t great doing Lars first year, the young players and pipeline was promising and the rebuild on a good path. Signing Johnny led to premature optimism and some bad moves based on the mirage. Jarmo took a detour and lost track of the direction. Bjorkstrand traded, Babcock hiring, Severson signing, and false expectation messaging to the fans and ownership. Winning (yes, we all want to win) took precedence over development. The result - a total FUBAR.
To me, the Gaudreau signing reminds me of Toronto and its Tavares signing.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Jarmo was in a tough spot with Johnny. He was batting the perception that every good player wants out of Columbus. Here he had a good player who wanted in. I think many of us recognized it was a challenging fit but I think it's easy for us to sit here and say it wasn't the best move from a roster standpoint.

Reactions: Viqsi

LJ7

#80 #13
Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Getting Gaudreau was one of the few good roster moves made in Jarmo's post COVID era tenure. He's a really good player and still can be part of a dominant line in this league. His salary isn't through the roof either. In an alternate reality Gaudreau-Jenner-Bjorkstand is a high scoring high possession line here.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Getting Gaudreau was one of the few good roster moves made in Jarmo's post COVID era tenure. He's a really good player and still can be part of a dominant line in this league. His salary isn't through the roof either. In an alternate reality Gaudreau-Jenner-Bjorkstand is a high scoring high possession line here.
And did he fit into the team? If you want a player, you have to have partners for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad