TV: Late Show - Letterman retiring May 20; Colbert debuting Sept 8 (post: 248)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stanley Foobrick

Clockwork Blue
Apr 2, 2007
Fooville, Ontario
Tribute to Dave on the side of the car he owns at this years Indy 500.

letterman-car.jpg

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Debuts this Tuesday!

Been looking forward to this for a while now. He's brought the same creative team from the Report to the Late Show, so I'm pretty stoked. With Jon Stewart having left, it'll be great to have one of my late night guys back.

First week of guests looks good.

Tuesday:

George Clooney
Jeb Bush
Jon Batiste

Wednesday:

Scarlett Johansson
Elon Musk
Kendrick Lamar

Thursday:

Toby Keith
Joe Biden
Travis Kalanick

Friday:

Amy Schumer
Stephen King
Troubled Waters

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
I enjoyed Colbert in the Report format, but will definitely check this out.

Last time Jon Batiste was interviewed/appeared on Colbert's show, they ended up having a show on the streets as if it was New Orleans or something. Epic.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Will be nice to see him after dropping the character. He has mentioned a few times that it grows tiring and is restrictive for him.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Will be nice to see him after dropping the character. He has mentioned a few times that it grows tiring and is restrictive for him.

Whether or not he portrayed the character "Stephen Colbert", he still has an exceptionally quick wit, and is great with satire.

He's going to do great, and I don't think it'll take him long to get situated and even bring in consistently better ratings than his counterparts.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
I don't remotely care about Colbert or this show or the political scene. But juxtaposing these guests is interesting.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I can't wait to see how he does. Late night TV has changed a lot during the past 2 years. The only show which hasn't changed is Kimmel.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I hope he does well, otherwise Late Night TV would be pretty much dead to me--- Myers, Fallon, and Corden are a perfect trifecta of lameness, IMO.

Last edited:

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I can't wait to see how he does. Late night TV has changed a lot during the past 2 years. The only show which hasn't changed is Kimmel.

I haven't really seen any late night tv for the past couple of years. How has it changed?

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
yeah i wonder as well. none of that made sense to me. maybe just with the demographic these late night programs are supposedly catering to?

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I haven't really seen any late night tv for the past couple of years. How has it changed?

In 2013 the Late Night landscape looked like this:

Daily Show with Jon Stewart
The Colbert Report
Late Night with Jimmy Fallon
Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson
Late Show with David Letterman
Tonight Show with Jay Leno
Jimmy Kimmel Live
Conan

By October 2014 it will be this:

Daily Show with Trevor Noah
The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore
Late Night with Seth Myers
Late Late Show with James Corden
Late Show with Stephen Colbert
Tonight Show Staring Jimmy Fallon
Jimmy Kimmel Live
Conan

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
In 2013 the Late Night landscape looked like this:

Daily Show with Jon Stewart
The Colbert Report
Late Night with Jimmy Fallon
Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson
Late Show with David Letterman
Tonight Show with Jay Leno
Jimmy Kimmel Live

By October 2014 it will be this:

Daily Show with Trevor Noah
The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore
Late Night with Seth Myers
Late Late Show with James Corden
Late Show with Stephen Colbert
Tonight Show Staring Jimmy Fallon
Jimmy Kimmel Live

Conan on TBS.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I'm intregued by the show. I hope Colbert does well even though it will be weird to hear him without the character. Not a fan of all the political guests, but tis the season I guess.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I'm intregued by the show. I hope Colbert does well even though it will be weird to hear him without the character. Not a fan of all the political guests, but tis the season I guess.

I think it's his way of making the show stick out. With Fallon his show is more playful and loose. Kimmel is like that as well. It seems like Colbert is trying to appeal to a more older/news driven crowd who doesn't care about games and skits.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I think it's his way of making the show stick out. With Fallon his show is more playful and loose. Kimmel is like that as well. It seems like Colbert is trying to appeal to a more older/news driven crowd who doesn't care about games and skits.

But wasn't The Colbert Report targeted to the younger demographic. Seems a little risky to go from the 18-39 crowd to a much older crowd.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint

I enjoy silliness, and games as much as the next guy, but it's nice to be able to watch some programs that are funny, intelligent, and a touch sophisticated. Colbert manages to be all that while still putting on a compelling, and intriguing broadcast. Not to mention he's charismatic as hell.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
How he handles the Jeb Bush interview will be very telling.

Yea it's interesting. Colbert is clever enough to eviscerate whoever he wants, if he chooses to do so. At the same time, he probably doesn't want to hurt his ability to attract politicians to his show in the future...and I would guess he probably is somewhat sympathetic towards Jeb, given who he's running against.

I anticipate that it'll be funny with next to no animosity/hostility.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Colbert was funny long before he started doing the "Colbert" shtick. I think he will also try to reach viewers who have been alienated by Fallon's insipid show. Thus, Bush..Toby Keith etc...

I'm sticking with Conan. But I'll dvr Colbert for a while to see how it goes. I have high hopes and believe he will do well. Perhaps not as good as Fallon, but in the days of dvr and the internet, it's not as big of a deal anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad