TV: Late Show - Letterman retiring May 20; Colbert debuting Sept 8 (post: 248)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Everything needs to be changed. Scripts, writing, graphics, music, etc, etc. Bookings for guests need 3 months alone. It takes awhile, but it's legit necessary.

He's already been off, what a month and it's only January. This has been known for a while. Too long. Never before has a transition taken this long after a replacement was chosen.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Wonder why he'd need such a long break. I'd think summer is when you really want to hit your target audiences hard

Stanley Foobrick

Clockwork Blue
Apr 2, 2007
Fooville, Ontario
List of the final guest are showing up in entertainment news...

http://time.com/3820331/david-letterman-final-late-show-guests/

Not a complete list as we don't see Regis on there:laugh:.

Also, some speculation as to why a Wednesday and not a Friday, apparently the TV rating season ends on Wednesday May 20th. I also think that the Foos playing a concert on the 15th might play into it. I expect the last thing you'll see on Dave's show is Dave Grohl and his band playing Dave off to Everlong, one of Dave's all time favourite songs.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-david-lettermans-last-late-show-guests-announced-20150514-story.html
The guest lineup for David Letterman's final three episodes of "Late Show" has been revealed, and while there are many long-expected names, there's still room for some surprises.

Monday night will feature Tom Hanks in his 60th appearance with Letterman. The musical guest will be Eddie Vedder.

On Tuesday, Bill Murray will appear. Murray holds the distinction of being the very first guest on both "Late Show" on CBS and "Late Night" on NBC. This will be Murray's 44th appearance with Letterman. Murray is the only announced guest on Tuesday's show, however, leaving plenty of room for others to make an appearance.

On Wednesday, May 20, Letterman's final show, there are no announced guests. The only thing the network is revealing is that there will be surprises, highlights and the show's final Top Ten list.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Colbert was fantastic doing his political slight of hand and just smiting down domestic and global events in general, but will he have that freedom here?

:(

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Definitely proud to say that I was able to attend a Letterman taping last year. He's certainly lost some velocity off his fastball in recent years, but Letterman's been on late night for pretty much my entire life. Will be sad to see him (presumably) off the air.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Colbert was fantastic doing his political slight of hand and just smiting down domestic and global events in general, but will he have that freedom here?

:(

Exactly. Stay in your lane sorta deal. I think Colbert is very good at what he does, just don't think he's suited as a late night talk show host, at all. He was ultra sarcastic political satire.

I hope they have Marty Short on one last time, maybe with Tom Hanks? Anyways, I'll be tuning in.

Last edited:

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Exactly. Stay in your lane sorta deal. I think Colbert is very good at what he does, just don't think he's suited as a late night talk show host, at all. He was ultra sarcastic political satire.

I hope they have Marty Short on one last time, maybe with Tom Hanks? Anyways, I'll be tuning in.

Colbert's a five lane superhighway.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley

Short was on last week.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Colbert's a five lane superhighway.

Even if he can be very good as a late night host (and he probably can be), he was so good as a satirist that, for the good of america, I wish he had stayed there. Many people could have been the host of the Late Show. No one else can be Colbert.

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
This will be my last time on the David Letterman show, I understand. Will all know that David Letterman was the greatest talk-show host who ever lived. But I remember Dave differently. The first time I saw him, I was 13 years old. I was living in Toronto, Canada, and I went to a talk show they have there, and David Letterman was the stand-up comedian on the show. I loved stand-up. David Letterman did this joke that I told everybody. I love this joke. It still stays with me as my favorite stand-up joke ever. I’d like to do it for you, if you’d like to hear.

He goes, “I was on the street the other day and I saw a garbage truck, and on the back of the garbage truck there was a small sign that said, ‘Please do not follow too closely.’ Another of life’s simple pleasures ruined by meddling bureaucracy, ladies and gentleman. Remember the old days, when dad would pile the kids in a station wagon and we’d all go and follow a garbage truck.â€

Mr. Letterman is not for the mawkish, and he has no truck for the sentimental. If something is true, it is not sentimental. And I say in truth, I love you.

:( :cry:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Norm Mcdonalds words were very touching for sure.
Colbert just ain't right for this. I'm gonna miss Dave.
I might agree but then Fallon has Lenos old show and they're night and day. And yes, Fallon is not that funny, but his show is good fun, and theres something to be said for that.

Colbert doesn't need to be Letterman, its just a talk show, he can do whatever he wants with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad