TV: Late Show - Letterman retiring May 20; Colbert debuting Sept 8 (post: 248)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
It was decent but Colbert kept talking over both Clooney and Bush. Hopefully this gets ironed out because it's the reason I don't like Fallon. Fallon interviewed my favorite actress a few weeks ago (Tatiana Maslany) and she barely said like 5 words the entire interview. Let the guests speak.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
To be fair, Clooney was as stiff as a board. Didn't seem to want to be there. I thought the Bush interview went well.

Nurmagomedov

Apr 13, 2015
I know they needed to bring in really big names for the opening night but i'd have really loved to see them bring in Neil DeGrasse Tyson given he was the most regular guest on the Report. They have great buddy comedy chemistry too.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
He should have just revamped his whole act. It is not as funny, when the audience knows he is being a straight man, and not a parody who wants to troll the whole world.

I will give him some time, because I have great respect for his ability, but he needs to figure things out, quick. Otherwise, he will just lose the audience to his other competitors.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Debut went as expected. Some good, some bad.

Colbert is better off doing his own thing then be another giggling kiss ass like game show host, I mean talk show host, Jimmy Fallon. I don't see Colbert surpassing him as time passes. But I'll continue to tune in.

Next to Conan, Colbert's interview skills are top notch. If not, above Conan. That will be the strength of this show. Some of the other kinks can be worked out and improved over time.

The product placement bit was ripped straight out of the Conan playbook and was good. But the Walker Texas/Mentalist bit just bombed.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I think the only problem with Colbert is that he talks over his guests a lot. That was fine on the report, since many of his guests were dry authors, but he'll have to adjust to interviewing a different type of guest now.

Scarlett called him out on that tonight.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
It's not a surprise that enjoyed the political segment with Trump in the first show. It was a throwback to his character on the Report and I really enjoyed it.

He interviewed different types of guests on the Report and was equally good with actors, politicians or authors. His style is to poke fun at the first two types of guests but always with a motive behind it (for example when he was talking about George W. during the Jeb interview).

I like to watch the highlights of talk shows on youtube usually since I don't watch all episodes and apparently Colbert's videos are blocked outside the US (but Corden's isn't?). That's lame.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
The first bit last night was classic Colbert. Seems like they're trying to do a Report-esque bit and a Dave-would-do-that bit every night.

Nurmagomedov

Apr 13, 2015
The election merchandise bit was indeed gold. The big furry hat was far less succesful. It's also interesting how out of his zone he seems interviewing Hollywood stars compared to Bush/Musk, he probably should reverse the time allocation given to the guests. House band so far seems to be there solely to entertain the in-house audience.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
The election merchandise bit was indeed gold. The big furry hat was far less succesful. It's also interesting how out of his zone he seems interviewing Hollywood stars compared to Bush/Musk, he probably should reverse the time allocation given to the guests. House band so far seems to be there solely to entertain the in-house audience.

Yeah if there is one thing I'm not really liking now it's the band. It will take some time to get used to, but Shaffer and Dave had so much chemistry together that it's something I miss on this new Late Show. Yeah it will take some time to form that chemistry, but now it kinda feels weird.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
There is really no banter between Colbert and the band, and with Colbert doing the intros himself...its like Colbert is doing a one man show. Feels very empty.

But of course rapport is something that will build. Everyone can't have The Roots or Paul Schaefer.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
He lost 35% in one night...you can bet that number will settle further over time. He better hope at this point he doesn't drop below Letterman's numbers.

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
He lost 35% in one night...you can bet that number will settle further over time. He better hope at this point he doesn't drop below Letterman's numbers.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tv-ratings-colbert-loses-fallon-821697

It's still a vast difference from the type of competition seen between Fallon and Colbert's predecessor, David Letterman. His Late Show was relegated to second — or often third — place status behind Tonight. And Wednesday's Late Show showing is still more than double what Letterman brought in on the comparable night last year.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Plus Seth Meyers has the benefit of having Fred Armisen to play off of too. And Conan mined comedy out of his band for years.

Conan has always had the best "crew". Andy Richter, Max Weinberg, Jimmy Vavino, La Bamba, etc....

Kimmell with the Roots is great too. I am kind of surprised they're still on the show. I didnt figure they would be a permanent fixture but I have been pleasantly surprised.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Watched it, loved parts of it, thought others fell flat.

BUT, it's Stephen friggin Colbert. This guy gets all my patience and loyalty.

There aren't much better out there in the world than he is.

It will take time, but he will elevate the classic network talk-show above the 'vanilla, let's not offend people, let's keep dumbing down people' that exists.

He's going to make people laugh and think, of this I have no doubt.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Watched it, loved parts of it, thought others fell flat.

BUT, it's Stephen friggin Colbert. This guy gets all my patience and loyalty.

There aren't much better out there in the world than he is.

It will take time, but he will elevate the classic network talk-show above the 'vanilla, let's not offend people, let's keep dumbing down people' that exists.

He's going to make people laugh and think, of this I have no doubt.

Yeah, I agree, it'll take him a little bit of time to get in the groove. Patience will be rewarded.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
To me it's come across as watered down Report mashed up with an obsolete genre.

The first night I forgot it was on and only saw about 20 minutes. The second time I changed the channel during a commercial and forgot to change back.

The late night format is so tired and has been for years. And with the giant studio, overly bright lights and the cheesy band off to the side, it even just looks tacky and old fashioned.

Last edited:

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Honestly, most of my late night exposure is clips on youtube where I can get access to the highlights, basically, and not have to sit through the garbage time.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I actually enjoyed last night's episode. Honestly, I am sold.

It will take some time, but the man will do great. He is too smart to not succeed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad