Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate it | {Insert Appropriate Seasonal Greeting Here}

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The Duel - (1971)

duel.jpg

This is a pretty fascinating movie when you learn more about its history, but it finds it’s beauty in the simplicity of the plot:

Mild manner electronic salesman on a lonely road is bullied by an unseen trucker who is probably sporting a CAT hat.

This is Maximum Overdrive meets Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr.

The Duel was an ABC movie of the week done by promising young director, Steven Spielberg.

The idea for the film was based on true events when the writer, Richard Matheson, was menaced by a trucker on the way home from a golf outing…. The day JFK was assassinated.

Spielberg read Matheson’s account of his encounter with the trucker in Playboy and swore he just had a subscription to the mag for the articles.

So a screenplay was born thanks to Miss March.

The Duel also lead to Jaws, Spielberg’s first big break. When he threw his ring in the hat to direct the future blockbuster, he told David Brown and Dick Zanuck he already directed ‘Jaws on land’ with The Duel.

He even used the exact same sound effect to signal the death of the ‘monster’ in both films.

All around an enjoyable film with a colorful history behind it.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I'm a sucker for movies that take place at one location, so you had me there. I ended up liking it, too. Sure, it offers nothing new, a lot of it is predictable, the final twist is ridiculous and the characters make some questionable decisions, but there are still a few surprises, the lead actress is pretty good and it's tense. It exceeded my expectations, at least for a low budget, straight-to-streaming movie made by and starring no one that I'd ever heard of, save for the AllState commercial guy. Thanks for the recommendation. If anyone else cares for an isolation thriller and doesn't expect too much, it's on Hulu.

Same here! Glad you liked it. Definitely agree that there was one twist too many.

Reactions: Osprey

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
The Evil Dead (1981) - 8/10

Bought an iTunes movie digital 10-pack for $20 and this was a part of it. Strangely, it's in full screen.

I've seen The Evil Dead many times before, but I've watched the original far less than its sequels/tv series. After this re-watch, I was feeling a "7" (IMDB is 7.4), but I upgraded to a light 8 considering the hell the cast and crew went to make this movie, how well it's held up over time considering its shoe string budget, and the fact that I'm a Michigander.

Reactions: OzzyFan

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I would suggest the latter, but in all honesty we can also assume that these actors aren't the caliber of a Daniel Day-Lewis or De Niro. That said, a bunch of soap opera actors have gone into movies and have given respectable enough performances. For example, Kathy Bates, Laurence Fishburne, and Leo Dicaprio and are a few standouts:

Respect

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
theboat.jpg

The Boat (2018) - 6/10

A recreational fisherman (Joe Azzopardi) discovers a seemingly abandoned yacht adrift off of the coast of Malta, becomes stuck on it and gets the sense that he's not alone. This Maltese (but in English) indie survival thriller is real minimalistic filmmaking. 95% of it takes place on the yacht with only one actor and very little dialogue. There's mystery, atmosphere, suspense and good cinematography. There's little plot, though, which isn't unusual for this type of survival film, but bears warning for those who are easily bored. It's mostly a series of situations, some a lot more stressful than others, as he tries to get control of the boat and stay alive. As I said yesterday, I'm a sucker for movies set in one location, especially claustrophobic ones, and a good chunk of this one takes that to the extreme. I liked it. It's very simple, but I was engaged. It won't be for everyone, but it may be up your alley if you like minimalist movies or survival ones set on boats. It can be streamed for free at Plex and Tubi.

Last edited:

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Doctor Strange 2 MoM - 7.5/10

Bit of a messy one this but pretty enthralling throughout. I think if you break it down into plot points, it's bad. It has some cheesy Raimi-isms and a bit of a hastily done 'just believe in yourself' type of conflict resolution. But it's a pretty fun ride getting there and feels differen than other Marvel movies. Good chemistry between cast even if they're given some poor lines.

Also probably the best or most interesting looking Marvel movie. I know the bar is low but it's inching higher and a lot of well done effects here.

I will say though that I can sympathize with people who watch Marvel movies and have not seen past Marvel films and are confused because I have seen past Marvel films and I'm starting to get more and more confused. There's a lot of shit going on now.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
theboat.jpg

The Boat (2018) - 6/10

A recreational fisherman (Joe Azzopardi) discovers a seemingly abandoned yacht off of the coast of Malta, becomes stuck on it and gets the sense that he's not alone. This Maltese (but in English) indie survival thriller is real minimalistic cinema. 95% of it takes place on the yacht with only one actor and very little dialogue. There's mystery, atmosphere, suspense and good cinematography. There's little plot, though, which isn't unusual for this type of survival film, but bears warning for those who are easily bored. It's mostly a series of situations, some a lot more stressful than others, as he tries to get control of the boat and stay alive. As I said yesterday, I'm a sucker for movies set in one location, especially claustrophobic ones, and a good chunk of this one takes that to the extreme. I liked it. It's very simple, but I was engaged. It won't be for everyone, but it may be up your alley if you like survival movies set on small boats. It can be streamed for free at Plex and Tubi.

Before I watch this, I need to know if there was a tiger…

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
The Rum Diary (2011) by Bruce Robinson 6.25/10

I actually thought this film was okay. Not profound or anything, and perhaps 25–30 minutes too long, and some semi-bad acting along the way, but it had some nice views and things, and actually some decently funny scenes.

CIpYsWE.jpg

Where else have I seen these two guys?

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
The Descent (2005) - 6/10

Second movie I'm watching from the "Fright Nights" 10 movie cheapo pack I bought on iTunes. Watched this film over two nights. I couldn't focus well the first time I sat down to watch it after my favorite hockey team... let's just say had me singing the blues.

Really well acted and the build up (first 45 minutes) was great. But...I thought things went sideways a bit in the 2nd half when the monsters appeared. There was an instance where the idiot plot reared its ugly head, and the side plot became the main point of the movie by the end. And because said side plot became so prominent, the ending was somewhat predictable.

I almost wish this was just a movie about 6 girls trapped in a cave fighting for survival. The fears of injury, losing hydration, and losing light while racing against the clock to find an exit that might not exist is a premise that's as scary as hell. The addition of generic monsters didn't do it for me.

It's also worth noting it was really hard to see what was going on for a good 20 minute stretch, and not in a "darkness adds to the claustrophobia" kinda way. I was watching this in a pitch black room on a projector, so the problem wasn't on my end.

I clearly have a bit to say about this one, and that's because I was expecting to like it more than I did. It was still a fine movie, but I liked it less than the audience (IMDb score of 7.2). Take this review with a grain of salt, as I'm clearly in the minority.

Reactions: OzzyFan and Osprey

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The Rum Diary (2011) by Bruce Robinson 6.25/10

I actually thought this film was okay. Not profound or anything, and perhaps 25–30 minutes too long, and some semi-bad acting along the way, but it had some nice views and things, and actually some decently funny scenes.

CIpYsWE.jpg

Where else have I seen these two guys?

Awesome novel, though.

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
lgww.png

The Looking Glass War (Frank Pierson, 1969)

After British intelligence suspects the Russians have set up a missile site in East Germany, a Polish defector is smuggled over the German border to investigate and confirm the alleged site. I’ve said it before in reviews of adaptations of John le Carré novels, but films based on his novels could not be further from James Bond films. Despite having a Bond like character, a charming, rebellious, and handsome Polish defector (played by Christopher Jones) who is easily distracted by women, the film is more about the grinding bureaucracy of espionage. A really bleak portrayal of Western intelligence. A lot of people seem to dislike this one but I actually really enjoyed it and thought it was a strong 1960s spy thriller, albeit at times a little too similar to The Spy Who Came in From the Cold (also a le Carré adaptation). The film has a young Anthony Hopkins in one of his first film roles, so for fans of the actor it is worth watching for his supporting role here. By no means an essential spy thriller but it certainly is a good underwatched one.

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
Cargo (Ben Howling and Yolanda Ramke, 2017)

After a pandemic has swept through Australia which turns those infected into zombies within 48 hours, a man (Martin Freeman) races against the clock to find someone who can care for his baby before he turns into a zombie after being bitten. Part of the 2000/2010s zombie film craze that now feels a little too prescient now that the 2020s have been totally signified by pandemic. Despite being a late entry to the tired genre, it makes a bit of an effort to get outside of the trappings of the genre, notably the time element to the infection and the location in the Outback, which is beautiful. Hard to tell if the cinematographer is good or if the Outback is just that beautiful, either way as a location it is really photogenic. Martin Freeman is great as a relatable everyman trying to survive, very much in a role similar to Viggo Mortensen in The Road to which this film has a lot of similarities too. That said, despite its best efforts it does fall to some of the cliches of the genre and it is hard not to feel tired of pandemic films now that I’ve lived through two years of a pandemic. Definition of a mid film.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
74a75ca0-19d0-11ec-926f-029586158b4a

One Second (2021--rereleased) Directed by Zhang Yimou 7B

What a lovely valentine to the movies One Second is. Set in 1975 in the desert outback of China, "Mr. Movie," who bills himself as world's greatest projectionist, is travelling from ramshackle town to ramshackle town showing an old six reel patriotic movie called Heroic Sons and Daughters to delighted audiences everywhere. An orphan and a fugitive enter into the action. Liu, the orphan, covets the movie for an odd reason--she wants to make a lampshade out of the celluloid so her little brother has better light to read by. The fugitive covets the movie because in the newsreel that accompanies the feature film, his estranged daughter is visible for one second, and he desperately wants to see her The first half of the movie is an inventive comedy, one that recalls Chaplin and silent film humour, as the film reels bounce around haphazardly from one interested party to another. Some how the three competitiors become oddball allies protecting the film as the reels are in danger of being ruined or lost in a host of different ways.

The charming and funny first half gives way to character studies that comment implicitly on the excesses of the Cultural Revolution. Not implicitly enough, however; Chinese censors demanded changes to the work. However, Zhang, far more directly a social critic here than in his previous films, has managed to keep the damage to a minimum, most of it coming in a coda that can and should be easily ignored. One Second is not only about the universality of movies and people's love for them. It is also a lament for their importance as a shared experience, the joy inherent in watching a memorable film with others, one of the nicest ways we can find common ground as a society. The communal bond has been severely compromised during the pandemic and it may never return to what it was. If it doesn't, that will be a great loss.

subtitles

Last edited:

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
3.70 out of 4stars

“Five friends head out to rural Texas to visit the grave of a grandfather. On the way, they stumble across what appears to be a deserted house, only to discover something sinister within, armed with a chainsaw.”
An excellent horror classic that originated many elements of the slasher sub genre while bringing heavy terror, a raw low budget masterpiece. Realistic and deeply disturbing, without being over the top or silly. With minimal use of blood and much of the violence offscreen, this movie is a crash course in highly effective ingenious horror. Just about every aspect is done memorably well. The imagery is haunting, the atmosphere smothering and volatile, the score blended and enhancing, the hopelessness, the murder weaponry top notch and multisensory, the villain mighty and expansive, and the nightmare lengthened beyond expectation. One of the most primally scary movies I’ve ever seen. There are political undertones present here also, which I won’t dive into, only deepening one’s appreciation of the film.

Les Diaboliques (1955) (subtitles)
3.45 out of 4stars

“The wife and mistress of a loathed school principal plan to murder him with what they believe is the perfect alibi.”
An excellent psychological horror mystery thriller that keeps the audience on its toes through a mix of tension, mood, emotional weight, twists, and the supernatural. The style is in the vein of a Hitchcock film. This features a premise that is just as frightening as its murder target’s relationship/love triangle with his 2 lovers; full of abuse, exploitation, and disgust. The trip is good old fashion intense suspense/tension building and building and building. And concludes with an excellently climactic ending that brings closure with possibility. I’d rather not say too much because letting this movie unfold itself in domino effect style is a great joy and easily ruinable. A must see for Hitchcock fans.

Repulsion (1965)
3.20 out of 4stars

“In Polanski’s first English-language film, beautiful young manicurist Carole suffers from androphobia (the pathological fear of interaction with men). When her sister and roommate leave their London flat to go on an Italian holiday with her married boyfriend, Carole withdraws into her apartment. She begins to experience frightful hallucinations, her fear gradually turning into madness.”

A great claustrophobic psychological horror about the world through the eyes of a schizophrenic after she is left alone with her own thoughts, with elements of expressionism and surrealism at use. I kind of wish Polanski’s ending didn’t hint at an explanation for the protagonist’s psychological issues, because it would have led to more interpretations of the film, so I am going to make believe that it doesn’t exist here. Far and away the scariest thing about this is its matter of fact realism. Caroles do exist in the world, and the stuff she’s going through I feel safe saying that many other women currently live with, and have in the past and will in the future. It’s a sad living nightmare. The theme here is sexual repulsion/sexual repression due to sexual abuse, an antisexualism upbringing, STD fears, pregnancy fears, lesbianism, second hand views/experiences, or even one’s natural feelings. We experience the intense mental trauma Carole lives with first hand through nightmares and hallucinations she literally feels are happening to her repeatedly (as if they were real occurrences). This helpless violated feeling turns Carole’s personal life into a withdrawn hesitant existence, a semi-catatonic hell. Which only adds on to the real life experiences Carole has with aggressive carnally motivated men in the film. The literal “sounds of silence” score overpowers its jazzy moments, with repetitive natural noises enhancing the lonely and growing crazier aspects of Carole’s life.

Peeping Tom (1960)
3.15 out of 4stars

“A young man murders women, using a movie camera to film their dying expressions of terror”
A great menacingly creepy psychological horror about voyeurism, sadomasochism, addiction/fetishism, snuff films, and even metaphorical of the audience/film relationship and separationally in the film industry, and horror industry specifically also. Heavily controversial for its time, with consequences for the director. This and the movie Psycho have been touted as the first slasher films or the forefathers of slasher films and their elements, including memorable point of view shots during murders. On the surface it’s about a lonely filmmaker with a troubled past that is obsessed with filming others romantically/erotically and fearfully, whom also has a bloodlust. But it’s much more profound than that. There’s commentary on, including societal views of, sexuality, taboo, violence, gender, fear, experimentation, morality, nurture, loneliness, filmmaking, film viewing, horror enthusiasts, self-reflection, and of course psychological disorders.

Phantom of the Opera (1925) (silent)
3.15 out of 4stars

"A disfigured recluse, living under the Paris Opera House, unrequestedly helps an aspiring opera singer rise to stardom through savage ruthless acts in exchange for her love.”
A great creepy horror drama about obsession and madness, with Lon Chaney Sr giving an excellent iconic turn. Chaney’s look and performance here are nothing short of remarkable. Chaney’s historic self-created makeup for the phantom was unforgettable, inventive, accurate to the novel, and even painful. Chaney also brings the phantom alive with passion and nuance to this powerful crazy love-struck outcast. The phantom’s all encompassing lair is elaborately brooding and effectively perilous, just as its occupant is throughout the film. And the phantom is a coldly chaotic destructive force. Don’t want to ruin anything, so I’ll leave this suspenseful and thoroughly well done movie at that.

Vampyr (1932) (subtitles/semi-silent)
3.15 out of 4stars

“A drifter obsessed with the supernatural stumbles upon an inn where a severely ill adolescent girl is slowly becoming a vampire.”
A great stylish surreal enigmatic horror movie with memorable imagery and sequences to go alongside its heavily macabre elements. I am no filmmaking expert, but almost all the appeared abnormal choices here succeed greatly. The lighting, the lens use, the “shadow” people, the camera angles, the standalone shots of objects and places, and filming style all give this a dreamlike sinister feel (which matches the events going on). Last but not least, that coffin sequence was a chiller.

An American Werewolf in London (1980)
3.10 out of 4stars

“Two American college students on a walking tour of Britain are attacked by a werewolf that none of the locals will admit exists.”
A great horror comedy that is constantly clever, fun, and excellently balanced. Known most for it’s iconic werewolf transformation scene, but the film also has a few other nice pieces of “body horror” going for it that doesn’t feel the least dated at over 40years old. There are a lot of witty giggles but the frights definitely hit harder, including some great horror violence, and the werewolf scenes do not disappoint. This, albeit not that extensive, is one of the most hilariously ironic soundtracks I’ve ever heard in a film. I don’t want to spoil the songs list, but it’s just the icing on the cake here. Interestingly enough, even some of the most minimal things are given a touch of depth in the movie. Along with the horror and comedy elements, the film is imaginative and the story building is good with a theme on insanity and much commentary on foreigners/outsiders as “strangers in a strange land” being touched upon. An all around joy.

Dead Alive/Braindead (1992) (Uncut)
3.05 out of 4stars

“A young man living in Wellington’s strict mother becomes bitten by a hybrid rat-monkey creature and begins to transform into a zombie, while also infecting other townsfolk.”
A great zombie comedy horror film that doesn’t take itself at all seriously and succeeds greatly with its fun gorey stomach-churning tactics. Not for those that are squeamish or become easily queasy. It’s gleefully looney and grotesque, and very often funny. I must state this style was never my cup of tea, but it's over the top graphic blood drenched oozing squirting mutilating slapstick hit all the right notes for me. Lots of tongue in cheek wit outside the visual stuff too. A definitely recommended experience for those that enjoy comedy horror and can stomach the above. I love the fact that Peter Jackson made this and similar stuff early in his career, the guy that brought the world Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and 2005’s King Kong. :)

Train to Busan (2016) (subtitles)
3.05 out of 4stars

“A man, his estranged daughter, and other passengers become trapped on a bullet train during a zombie outbreak in South Korea.”
A great zombie horror action that’s highly entertaining and stylish while bringing a slightly fresher, skilled and completely developed take on the genre’s recycled tropes. There is a lot of social commentary on class differences, which is a nice ode to “Night of the Living Dead” but not close to as controversial or groundbreaking. There is also smaller scale discussion involving topics of government intervention, family dynamics, kindness vs selfishness, and pandemic/apocalyptic human reaction. Character development is good here, with a touch of an emotional connection for the audience to the story. The action is great and well shot, with solid pacing throughout to go along with its nonstop intense and quiet tension.

The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945)
2.95 out of 4stars

“A corrupt young man somehow keeps his youthful beauty, but a special painting gradually reveals his inner ugliness to all.”
A great drama horror that tells a philosophical morality tale about a human monster, who’s impersonal depths of cruelty are left to the audience’s imaginations. Don’t get me wrong when I say that, the main story shows plenty of reasons for Dorian Gray’s dark dark wickedness, but not much informally (which hit my imagination as I was watching this). There are a number of things to take from this. Looks can be deceiving, as Gray is a quiet rich and good looking man, yet his heart acts selfishly and immorally. It’s quite surprising how manipulative and evil one can be with the smallest of acts done or words said. Selfishness vs selfless, virtuous vs sinful, conscientious vs corrupt, spiritual vs irreverent, are all similar ways of extremes on how one should or could live their life. Every action leans one way or the other and essentially creates the person who we are, “and either dirties our soul or keeps its cleanliness”, showing what is most/more important to us in our lives. By all means, I kind of wish Lord Henry had a lot more screen time here. Henry’s waxing poetic on the selfish side of life was an entertainingly intriguing analysis on the subject and side characteristics/elements. That said also, kind of wish we had a stronger anti-Henry character to hear the other side more vividly also.

The Changeling (1980)
2.90 out of 4stars

“After the tragic death of his wife and daughter, a music professor staying at a long-vacant Seattle mansion is dragged into a decades-old mystery by an inexplicable presence in the mansion’s attic.”
A great haunted house mystery horror with atmosphere and a complexly fleshed out story. The journey and ghostly elements are well written and pull you in while taking you on an adventure. While not religiously tinted or dealing with possession, this movie definitely feels like a pre-Conjuring Conjuring-esque movie with lots of supernatural things going on during an investigation. While the majority of the haunted house ‘tricks’ here have been done repeatedly, they are effective and executed well, including the iconic bouncing ball staircase scene and a great metaphysical ending. And another great score that enhances the feel of the movie. Lastly, George C Scott gives a driven performance alongside the rest of the cast to ground this tale into reality.

The Host (2006) (subtitles)
2.75 out of 4stars

“Six years after the careless dumping of chemicals into South Korea’s Han River, a giant creature emerges from the tainted waters and sinks its ravenous jaws into local residents. When the creature abducts their daughter, a vendor and his family decide that they are the only ones who can save her.”
A great monster horror comedy drama about a dysfunctional family that is unpredictable and emotionally all over the place. Thematically, this can have many different interpretations and lessons including but not limited to family importance, impact of life circumstances, anti-American impact on Korea, South Korean government deficiencies, and corruption. My 2 favorite themes involve child rearing’s influence on one’s life and the importance of family. One, is that child rearing plays a major influence in the outcome of one’s life. Gang-Du is a dim-witted socially awkward failure with narcolepsy on the surface, but was once an above average intellectual child that needed direction. Apparently, Gang-Du’s promise was lost due to a poor upbringing, with zero parental interaction/nurture, assumedly minimal friendships/social connections, and nutritional deficiencies in his diet. Second, no families are perfect, but they should try to work together and build their relationships because they are often the most important people in one’s life and have impactful effects in one’s life. Aside from understandable atrocities or deaths, atrocities sometimes heal with time, there’s generally always time to reconnect with your family. This is a fun movie with a lot of dark comedy sprinkles, I just wanted to like this more than I did, but I took issue with its tonality shifting that was not smooth or clear way too often for me.

Sputnik (2020) (subtitles)
2.55 out of 4stars

“Summoned to a secluded research facility, a controversial young doctor examines a cosmonaut who returned to Earth with a dangerous alien organism inside him.”
A good alien sci fi horror that surprisingly has more brains and mood than action/gore. It’s essentially about the studying of the alien and its human host, leading to a learning vs militarizing motive battle. The alien is interesting and the turns keep you interested throughout, but it’s mostly recycled material. I took the major metaphor as Russia’s time and involvement in the Cold War times on a large and small scale. Not bad if you like the subgenre.

Montana Story (2021)
2.75 out of 4stars

“Two estranged siblings return home to the sprawling ranch they once knew and loved, confronting a deep and bitter family legacy against a mythic American backdrop.”
A great slow burn family drama about a traumatic experience’s fallout and the relationship dynamics between family members from the incident 7years ago up to the present time, and even a reflection on the past prior to it all. It all boils down to one’s guilt and another’s resentment over inaction against a somewhat common enemy. Inaction as a whole is a highly debated topic on small and large scales throughout history, summing up to the old “inaction is action/acceptance/complicity” which isn’t always so concrete as seen here imo, especially in an explosive instance. What I’m seeing is, everyone has limitations on what they can do and how they react under certain situations, and honestly should not be faulted for something they are incapable of (especially an inaction that haunts themselves). In the end, this is a movie about how everyone has different personalities and everyone deals with and responds to explosive “and” lingering things differently. Sadly still, the most important person in one’s life can be stripped away by such things and a resolving communication opportunity can be withheld for unforeseeable lengths. Though sometimes fate gives you another chance. Both main actors bring emotional depth to their performances. And of course, every now and then we get some artwork-esque landscape backdrops from the state it’s occurring in.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Cannes results are out

The best links right now are at Wikipedia, where you can dig a bit deeper to get more info. Just scroll down to Awards In Competition at the bottom of the page. Links in blue work, links in red don't have a page yet.

Reactions: kihei and OzzyFan

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
What happened to the Morbius thread?

Anyway, I recently saw Morbius

It wasn't as bad as I was expecting given the reviews, but there were some questionable casting choices, and the tone of the film did feel a bit off

A Morbius film similar in tone to the recent The Batman would've been the way to go

Last edited:

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
We need to step it up. OzzyFan is putting us to shame. He's reviewed more movies in the last week than I have in the last month. I haven't seen that many reviews in one post since ORRForever returned from a 6-month ban.
Thanks, but don't go crazy. It's just a week off from work and a well planned movie schedule around other vacation activities. Finally got to view a bunch of horror I've been sitting on across a century of release dates. Twas very rewarding and something I likely won't be able to do for a while again. You'd also be surprised what I got done besides that movies list in 1 week's time. :)

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Just noticed that Riley Keough, won the Camera D'Or for directing War Pony. She was the ditzy blonde in Under the Silver Lake. (also related to Elvis which coincidently also had a bio-movie at Cannes). More than just a pretty face, the girl has smarts.

1653834031595.png

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Cannes results are out

The best links right now are at Wikipedia, where you can dig a bit deeper to get more info. Just scroll down to Awards In Competition at the bottom of the page. Links in blue work, links in red don't have a page yet.

Looks like a good year. I'm hoping Broker, Three Thousand Years of Longing, Decision to Leave, Holy Spider, and Triangle of Sadness, among others, find their way to TIFF '22.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I'm sorry you didn't like The Host more. One of my favorite movies.

Also I wept at the end. What a ride - you feel the entire spectrum of human emotions in that film. Not to discredit your critique - it is a bit all over the place.

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
The Apartment (Billy Wilder, 1960)

Bud Baxter (Jack Lemmon) is an ambitious insurance clerk in NYC who wants to climb the corporate ladder. He devises a scheme to help his climb by lending his apartment to executives at the firm to use as a place to take their side chicks after work. (Note to self: forget climbing the corporate ladder this is a great idea to help make rent in Toronto. Pitching the idea of AirBnB love hotels to Silicon Valley). Closing in on a promotion, things become complicated when an executive brings over a girl (Shirley MacLaine) who Bud had a crush on. A masterly set-up film that hits all the right notes in its balance between comedy and pathos. Did not realize how dark this film got at times but yet I would still describe it as a romantic comedy. Lemmon and MacLaine are both outstanding displaying their loneliness and vulnerability while keeping things light with their wit and comedic charm. Lot to love in this film that has been said a million times in reviews about it, very clear why it is a masterpiece. But holy shit can’t imagine the sexual harassment lawsuits that would occur at that workplace today.

Reactions: OzzyFan and Osprey

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
lgww.png

The Looking Glass War (Frank Pierson, 1969)

After British intelligence suspects the Russians have set up a missile site in East Germany, a Polish defector is smuggled over the German border to investigate and confirm the alleged site. I’ve said it before in reviews of adaptations of John le Carré novels, but films based on his novels could not be further from James Bond films. Despite having a Bond like character, a charming, rebellious, and handsome Polish defector (played by Christopher Jones) who is easily distracted by women, the film is more about the grinding bureaucracy of espionage. A really bleak portrayal of Western intelligence. A lot of people seem to dislike this one but I actually really enjoyed it and thought it was a strong 1960s spy thriller, albeit at times a little too similar to The Spy Who Came in From the Cold (also a le Carré adaptation). The film has a young Anthony Hopkins in one of his first film roles, so for fans of the actor it is worth watching for his supporting role here. By no means an essential spy thriller but it certainly is a good underwatched one.
Way back when, I thought for about fifteen minutes that Christopher Jones was going to be the new James Dean. But he genuinely wasn't the least interested in the gig.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad