Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate it | {Insert Appropriate Seasonal Greeting Here}

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Can anyone tell me if War and Peace is worth a watch? Not normally a question I would ask, but we are talking about an 8+ hr movie here.

You're in luck. We happen to have someone here crazy enough to watch an 8-hour Russian movie in one sitting and with no bathroom breaks.

kihei said:
war-and-peace_07.jpg

War and Peace (1968) Directed by Sergey Bondarchuk 9A

Having just sat through this 7+ hour adaptation of War and Peace in one sitting, I came away very impressed. Originally the movie was intended to show that in terms of epics Russia could compete with Hollywood and anyone else in the world. Further it was a form of revenge to be taken on the disastrously bad Hollywood version of War and Peace that starred Henry Fonda and Audrey Hepburn. That massively edited Hollywood abomination was largely seen as a desecration of a national treasure in the Soviet Union. So Sergey Bondarchuk, not exactly a young lion but not a member of the old guard either, was provided with virtually an unlimited budget and as many extras as he needed, courtesy of the Red Army, and instructed to make the definitive film version of Leo Tolstpy's great novel. The end result is an epic film that is remarkably faithful to the sprawling novel while setting new standards for battle sequences that have yet to be matched to this day without the help of CGI. War and Peace is a historical romance that deals with both Napoleon's attempts to reach Moscow and thus control Russia and with the fates of three people whose lives are caught up in these turbulent times: Natasha, the youthful, graceful princess who wears her heart on her sleeve; Prince Andrey, aloof and aristocratic who falls in love with her despite his better judgement; and Pierre, kind-hearted but of low birth, who always somehow finds himself at the centre of great events. How their personal fortunes play out amidst the backdrop of the cataclysmic seismic shifts of history is at the heart of both the novel and the movie. The first four hours of the movie focus on the romantic intrigue but does include the battle of Austerlitz which the French won; during the final three hours, romance takes a back seat as war dominates everything. The battle at Borodino and the failure of the French to hold Moscow, both beautifully photographed and edited, dominate this part of the movie, which includes battle sequences of a prolonged duration, like 45 minutes, that are as breathtaking to behold today as they were half a century ago. Not just film buffs, but European literature aficionados and military historians should find War and Peace well worth its imposing running time.

subtitles

available on the Criterion Channel

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Holy Motors (2012)
3.25 out of 4stars

"A man boards a limousine to be driven to his day's work: 9 mysterious "appointments., where he plays a number of strange, semiscripted roles."
A great 'arthouse' fantasy drama of a rollercoaster ride that tells the story of a day in the life of a man, and more to whatever way you interpret it. I personally interpreted it as the life of a middle aged actor and a metaphor for movies themselves. Lavant himself is magnificent in all the characters he displays, worthy of an Oscar nomination he never received. On the actor side, we get to see the life this 50 something actor has lived, one full of roles across all major genres. He has donned many faces, many apparels, many personalities, many body languages, and even different languages/speech patterns. His job is to be a constantly transforming human chameleon. Now the actor is rich and famous, yet seems discontent or at best a sort of comfortably numb. I'd argue this feeling on the actor's life is from the combination of a professional life that doesn't challenge him anymore and a personal life that has ghosts in it's past, with maybe even a touch of ordinary life seeming mundane comparatively to the characters that he's lived out on screen. Lavant is a man that keeps acting for "the beauty of the act", which can be interpreted as what movies mean to people, what acting itself means to him/actors, possibly abstractly, or otherwise. The movie metaphor angle I feel is much more direct. Movies are able to create experiences to endless possibilities for viewers, able to intellectually and emotionally engage and influence us in an escapist style across an infinite spectrum of subjects. The movie itself is quite fun genre hopping that effectively executes it's erratic style. Any way you slice it, Holy Motors is an imaginative adventure unlike anything else.

The Big Heat (1953)
3.10 out of 4stars

"A police officer seems to have committed suicide, but Detective Bannion thinks there's more to the story. After talking to the man's mob-connected mistress, Bannion discovers far-reaching corruption that leads all the way from the police station to a mob kingpin."
A great violent noir with a few shocks about mob control and a restless detective, that is portrayed strongly by Glenn Ford. Surprisingly brutal, this is one of the more murder and violence ladened noirs I've seen. Mob corruption is also taken a step deeper here, showing how far a mob's reach can go, into politics, into upper policeforce, and into bachelorette women and other citizens they comingle with. It becomes very hard to arrest or stop mob folk who have witnesses that don't talk and friendships that create get out of jail free cards. Whether on the mob payroll or through fear, the power of connections run deep. And of course, beware those who fight this mob power, consequences about and if your ''in for a penny you are in for a pound'' against them. I was also quite surprised how widespread of a meaningful cast this film had.

This Gun for Hire (1942)
3.00 out of 4stars

"When assassin Philip Raven takes what feels like a normal job, he shoots a blackmailer and his beautiful female companion dead. Little does he know that he is paid off in marked bills by his employer and things are not at all what they seem to be."
A great noir film with a refreshing storyline, lots of suspense, and a lead assassin turn that made Alan Ladd famous. A complex enough intertwining story plays out with relationships and acquaintances meeting by chance and changing one another's lives' drastically. One of my favorite elements of this movie is how there is a bit of blurred line between acts being purely cynical and sympathetic amongst a couple of the main characters. All concluding to a climactic finish, arguably climactic 3rd act/final 3rd of the film, with a touch of era relevancy. Only caveat being, you need to get by the fact that someone tried framing a hit man with stolen bills, a man "who is his own police" with cold blooded murderous talents, and then there is a great movie there to be had.

Dr Strange In the Multiverse of Madness (2022)
2.60 out of 4stars

"Dr. Stephen Strange casts a forbidden spell that opens the doorway to the multiverse, including alternate versions of himself, whose threat to humanity is too great for the combined forces of Strange, Wong, and Wanda Maximoff."
A middling level marvel movie, but a pleasant attempt at something different in the darker/horror-esque realm. It's definitely a Sam Raimi film with some strong violence and dark humor and just plain horror and dark elements altogether, and you can also feel the movie was edited down from an R rating in some parts rather clearly. That said, it's not full blown Sam Raimi, especially early in the movie, which I sort of wonder if that's production limiting or the writing or what have you (even when taking into consideration PG-13 limitations). It's good, visually fun, and has moments of humor, but it feels kind of uneven and convoluted and too often charmless. And yes, lots of cameos again are to be had.

Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Can anyone tell me if War and Peace is worth a watch? Not normally a question I would ask, but we are talking about an 8+ hr movie here.
I thought it was pretty great but it's definitely a commitment. The four separate movies make it easy to digest though. I spread it out over a few weeks. Not sure if that's the best approach but it worked for me.

I struggled following the story at points but the scope of the whole thing is pretty stunning. Some incredible battle scenes -- part 3 is nearly all battle.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The Northman (2022) - I liked it. It kinds of toes that line between Hollywood and Auteur pretty well, though I didn't love some of the casting choices. I like Hawke and detest Kidman but both of their accents struck me as terrible and I generally disliked Kidman's entire performance, finding it a bit too overtly venomous for my taste. Didn't always like the CGI either, as I find it kind of jarred with the rest of the film's aesthetic, as it looked kind of cheap and corny while the naturalistic feel of reality struck as as expansive and appropriate.

I did really like the camerawork though, especially the rapid motions. The structure of the narrative was cool too. Maybe it's me and I'm an idiot but I found the unexpected ambiguity as to whether Ahmlet's quest was a noble one/whether his uncle was truly the bad guy to have been a nice touch that was handled without the bombast that other films may have used.

I don't think it comes close to The Lighthouse, but definitely worth a watch.
The production design and the camera work kept me watching, but I thought it was a cold fish otherwise. Maybe a few too many "Monty Python" moments in there, too, with the rituals and battle scenes.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The production design and the camera work kept me watching, but I thought it was a cold fish otherwise. Maybe a few too many "Monty Python" moments in there, too, with the rituals and battle scenes.

I believe the rituals are actually based on historical research. The last battle scene was...not great.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I believe the rituals are actually based on historical research. The last battle scene was...not great.

It's funny. I have zero issues with folks watching this and finding the whole commitment to the bit by all involved to be a little silly. It's a basic story with broad characters and some outlandish flourishes. These are all things I could just as easily laugh at in some other hands, but in this case it all worked for me. Sorta lept past silly straight to admirable.

Perhaps I'm giving Eggers a benefit of the doubt I wouldn't afford others? Maybe I'm a little MCU'd out (where everyone has the shared super power of being quippy!) and found The Northman's stone faced commitment to seriousness refreshing?

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
Contempt / Le Mépris (Jean-Luc Godard, 1963)

Have you ever watched a film and then read reviews about it and wonder “wow did we watch the same film?”. That is my experience with Jean-Luc Godard’s Contempt, a film considered by many to be among his best works. I love French New Wave, I love much of Godard’s work (this film was a blind spot of mine), but this film leaves me feeling so lukewarm. Contempt follows a screenwriter (Michel Piccoli) and his wife (Brigitte Bardot, phoning it in) who are in Italy working on a script for an America producer (Jack Palance, phoning it in even harder) who is producing an adaptation of Homer’s Odyssey directed by the elderly Fritz Lang (playing himself and the best part of the film). She thinks the screenwriter is using her sexuality to cement his contract for the film, he thinks she no longer loves him, queue up 90mins of arguing, Godardian misogyny, and ton of melodrama.

I get that Godard is poking at the genre of melodramas, I get the metatextual references of the film for the most part, I get that the Italian coastline is absolutely gorgeous, and I get that you get to stare at Brigitte Bardot’s cleavage for most of the film, but I do not get why people love this film. The two lead characters are just so unlikeable that I don’t really give a damn whether or not they love each other or not – they’re just both so insufferable I wish them nothing but unhappiness! I also feel like I’ve seen films in this vein that examine relationships that crumble due to insecurity, guilt, and contempt done so much better both prior to and after this film was released. And I swear to god if I heard that song “Theme de Camille” one more time during the middle of a scene I would have thrown my remote through the TV.

Also the trailer for this film is amazing because it could be used to describe any French film from the 1960s

Reactions: OzzyFan and kihei

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Contempt / Le Mépris (Jean-Luc Godard, 1963)

Have you ever watched a film and then read reviews about it and wonder “wow did we watch the same film?”. That is my experience with Jean-Luc Godard’s Contempt, a film considered by many to be among his best works. I love French New Wave, I love much of Godard’s work (this film was a blind spot of mine), but this film leaves me feeling so lukewarm. Contempt follows a screenwriter (Michel Piccoli) and his wife (Brigitte Bardot, phoning it in) who are in Italy working on a script for an America producer (Jack Palance, phoning it in even harder) who is producing an adaptation of Homer’s Odyssey directed by the elderly Fritz Lang (playing himself and the best part of the film). She thinks the screenwriter is using her sexuality to cement his contract for the film, he thinks she no longer loves him, queue up 90mins of arguing, Godardian misogyny, and ton of melodrama.

I get that Godard is poking at the genre of melodramas, I get the metatextual references of the film for the most part, I get that the Italian coastline is absolutely gorgeous, and I get that you get to stare at Brigitte Bardot’s cleavage for most of the film, but I do not get why people love this film. The two lead characters are just so unlikeable that I don’t really give a damn whether or not they love each other or not – they’re just both so insufferable I wish them nothing but unhappiness! I also feel like I’ve seen films in this vein that examine relationships that crumble due to insecurity, guilt, and contempt done so much better both prior to and after this film was released. And I swear to god if I heard that song “Theme de Camille” one more time during the middle of a scene I would have thrown my remote through the TV.

Also the trailer for this film is amazing because it could be used to describe any French film from the 1960s

I'm a huge Godard fan, but Contempt isn't anymore than a curiosity to me. Maybe we need Pranzo's take on it.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Coming Up - The Cannes Film Festival

The 75th edition of the next Cannes Film Festival will take place from may 17 to 28, 2022.

Virginie Efira will be the mistress of the opening and closing ceremonies of the 75th edition of the festival.
Tom Cruise's presence is confirmed, for the first time in 30 years on the Croisette. He will present the new Top Gun. Vincent Lindon will be the president of the jury.

The official website

Wikipedia page

1652289058488.png

official poster

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
Accident / 意外 (Soi Cheang, 2009)

Through elaborate setups that feel like something out of the Final Destination series, a small team of assassins kill their targets through staged “accidents” – panes of glass falling from four stories up, lightning strikes to electrocute them on tram tracks etc. Very deliberately planned, a little over the top, and definitely silly. The planning and execution of these accident assassinations takes up the first half of the film, and I had seen this film called a combination of Final Destination and The Conversation and I couldn’t for the life of me understand where the latter reference was coming from, until the film makes an abrupt turn. The influence of The Conversation becomes clear when an assassination goes wrong and our lead becomes paranoid and obsessive at the little details and if he is the next target for another assassin. The result is an extremely stylish and thrilling film and not a bad way to spend 90 minutes if you’re looking for a pulpy thriller with a ridiculous premise.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Dr.Strange: Multiverse of Madness.

3/10
written/directed like they were intentionally trying to copy multiple different movies(Wizards of Waverly place meets cheap horror movie tropes) from other genres and be unique in the MCU and just shit the bed. They had an ocean of possible options they could've used and they chose to do the least exciting thing possible while simultaneously slapping any hardcore Marvel fans in the face.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Fury (1936)
3.15 out of 4stars

"Joe Wilson, a man wrongly accused of kidnapping, is held under arrest. While at the local police precinct, a lynch mob attacks the building and Wilson is presumed dead. After surviving, Wilson wants to exact justice on the lynch mob as he decides to keep his survival unannounced and uses his brothers to get those responsible convicted and hanged."
A great noir about power of lynch mobs, the criminal justice system, and the issues involved with them. Hate breeds more hate or violence begets more violence and vengeance isn't justice, I'd say are the themes at large here. Lynch mobs, since the beginning of time, are powerful mindless reckless lawless groups that are driven by hate as they act out with violence on property, resistance, and of murder. They are even capable of physically overpowering and consequentially overruling police forces. Lynch mobs are the definition of uncivilized primitive irrational justice, and here are seen to be aggressive misinformed gossipers. Ironically on the other side, we have a present day justice system of police and courts that still is shown to be fallible through mistakes made by it's 'members' or inner/outer manipulation. Police can make wrongful arrests and jurors can make wrongful convictions. As seen here and beyond; lies, fact concealment, lawyer-witness manipulation during cross examination, and arguably emotional juror persuasion can turn "beyond a reasonable doubt" into "you will think based on how you are subjectively told to think", correct or incorrect (and that doesn't even get into personal juror biases). Also, It can be echoed here, directly and indirectly, into deeper meanings/reflections on politics and governmental bodies or whole government's themselves alongside society. Kind of makes one think and see, if they already didn't, the inherent weaknesses (natural and corruption based) with even the most advanced, logic based, check and balance democratic systems in place.

The Blob (1958)
2.50 out of 4stars

"Teenagers Steve and his best girl Jane try to protect their hometown from a gelatinous alien life form that engulfs everything it touches, which they discovered as a product of a meteorite's falling to earth one night."
A good sci fi horror B-movie that is more often than not campy cheesey fun, targeting and trying to connect with teens during it's release time period. Apparently a wildly profitable cult classic for it's time. Lots of teen themes thrown into the story with fast cars, midnight movies, police hijinks, parental condemnation, teenage rebellion, and even the old 'lover's lane' concept. A nostalgia trip for some and memories of youth for others with mild relatableness to today's times. My favorite parts almost entirely involve the blob, save a couple of memorable comedic parts. It's quite an interesting 'horror monster/villain', being alien (unknown), gelatinous, infinitely growing, literally all-consuming, indestructible, and appearedly unstoppable is a hell of a combo in many regards. Not to mention the blob and townspeople's use in the final 20mins/last act delivers on it's potential fairly well.

The Duke (2020)
2.70 out of 4stars

"In 1961, Kempton Bunton, a 60-year old taxi driver, stole Goya's portrait of the Duke of Wellington from the National Gallery in London with the intent on forcing the government to invest more in care for the elderly for the portrait's return."
A good stranger than fiction comedy drama about humaneness, while being endearing and witty. Charmingly acted and very light, even while it deals with more weighty issues from time to time.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Glen or Glenda from 1953. I have had a strange fascination with Ed Wood ever since i watched the Tim Burton movie many years ago so every now and then i watch one Ed Woods movies.

On paper it's about the first ever sex change but in reality it's just a mad vehicle for Ed Wood to crossdress while making a few bucks. It's a pretty odd movie since the narrative is all over the place, in one scene you have Ed Wood doing reaction shots of himself dressed in angora looking like one the the Monty Python guys and in the next scene you have Bela Lugosi high as a kite screaming about dragons and strings.

All in all a movie i would recomend for the crowd that enjoy bad movies.

1,5/5

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
The Goldfinch (John Crowley, 2019)

After surviving a terrorist attack at the MoMA which killed his mother, preteen Theo snags a work of art on his way out escaping the attack - Carel Fabritius’ The Goldfinch. So begins a sprawling bildungsroman involving high society melodrama, teenage acid trips in the desert, antique furniture restoration, art dealers, and gunfights. Based on Donna Tartt’s Pulitzer Prize novel, I have no idea how anyone who hadn’t read the nearly 800 page book would be able to follow this mess of a film. I’ve read the book and I could barely follow it as it suddenly jumps from scene to scene with bizarre plot and tonal changes. It also doesn’t help that the film is two and a half hours and feels simultaneously overlong and underdeveloped. An utter mess of a film, with some awful performances (the worst being Stranger Things’ Finn Wolfhard who plays the son of a Russian gangster with a parody of a Russian accent), and even the usually great cinematographer Roger Deakins seems to be bored and on autopilot here.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Moonfall - 8/10

Thought it was a GREAT sci-fi flick. Definitely not for everyone but if you are fan of the genre you will probably like it.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
A-Boy-And-His-Dog-Feratured.jpg

A Boy and His Dog (1975) - 5/10

A sex-obsessed young man (Don Johnson) and his telepathic, talking dog search the post-apocalyptic wasteland for females. Initially, I wondered how I missed this growing up, since the title and talking dog made it sound like a wholesome family adventure. Nope. There's sex, nudity, violence, cannibalism, crude sexual innuendo and perhaps the most distasteful element of all: folk music. You can't have a mid-70s movie without folk music, even one set in the distant future of 2024. Our protagonist roams the nuclear wasteland and has a mutually beneficial arrangement with his four-legged, chatty friend: the dog gets fed in exchange for sniffing out women for him to hone in on. They eventually find a beautiful young woman and Don Juan tries to rape her at gunpoint. She doesn't mind this as much as you might expect and quickly falls for him, but does mind his furry friend who never did a thing to her. Figures. A stranger watched her undress from the shadows and sexually assaulted her, but it's his talking dog that creeps her out. Then again, a mutt with more brains, personality and sense of humor than any of the humans could be threatening. It's credited as the first post-apocalyptic wasteland movie and was an inspiration for Mad Max. It shares some of the same look, but with a kinky storyline ala Zardoz and some of the dystopian edginess of A Clockwork Orange. Only the first hour is wasteland, though, while the last half hour takes place in a "civilized" underground cult society in which everyone wears clown makeup and is into perverse mating practices. Have I made it clear that it's an odd movie? I can't say that I liked it, but it's certainly unique and its ending is memorable, to say the least. It can be watched for free on Crackle if the above has somehow sold you on it.

Last edited:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Accident / 意外 (Soi Cheang, 2009)

Through elaborate setups that feel like something out of the Final Destination series, a small team of assassins kill their targets through staged “accidents” – panes of glass falling from four stories up, lightning strikes to electrocute them on tram tracks etc. Very deliberately planned, a little over the top, and definitely silly. The planning and execution of these accident assassinations takes up the first half of the film, and I had seen this film called a combination of Final Destination and The Conversation and I couldn’t for the life of me understand where the latter reference was coming from, until the film makes an abrupt turn. The influence of The Conversation becomes clear when an assassination goes wrong and our lead becomes paranoid and obsessive at the little details and if he is the next target for another assassin. The result is an extremely stylish and thrilling film and not a bad way to spend 90 minutes if you’re looking for a pulpy thriller with a ridiculous premise.

The premise is a neat little idea, and the filmmakers throw enough bells-and-whistles to keep both the core mystery, and subsequently my attention, in tact for the majority of the movie, but the whole thing runs out of gas in the end, because it literally feels like the people involved just give up and decide to hastily finish. That is a shame too, because it probably needs just an additional scene or two, especially at the final set piece, for it to resolve everything and not feel rather dumb.

Now that I think about it, I happened to have watched a lot of Hong Kong movies from that period, and those pure local productions without a lot of mainland China involvement seem to suffer from that issue. If I have to guess, it is likely a budget issue, but that is just the reality of the Hong Kong film industry.

Last edited:

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
The premise is a neat little idea, and the filmmakers throw enough bells-and-whistles to keep both the core mystery, and subsequently my attention, in tact for the majority of the movie, but the whole thing runs out of gas in the end, because it literally feels like the people involved just give up and decide to hastily finish. That is a shame too, because it probably needs just an additional scene or two, especially at the final set piece, for it to resolve everything and not feel rather dumb.

Now that I think about it, I happened to watched a lot of Hong Kong movies from that period, and a lot of pure local productions without a lot of mainland China involvement seems to suffer from that issue. If I have to guess, it is likely a budget issue, but that is just the reality of the Hong Kong film industry.

Yeah I think I agree. It's one of those rare films that could have used an extra 10-15mins to flesh it out a bit more

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Multiverse of Madness

Pretty stupid, but fun nonetheless. Felt too cartoony at times and the… I guess scary parts were more laughable than anything, and it never really found it’s own tonal constant.

5/10

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

Operation Mincemeat (2022) - 5/10

During WWII, a British intelligence officer (Colin Firth) cooks up an outlandish plot to deceive the Germans. It's a spy drama and a retelling of a true story that was first put to screen in 1956's The Man Who Never Was, which I saw last year and liked. Most of it takes place in London as a small team of officers and secretaries working in secrecy think up and put into motion "Operation Mincemeat." The deception, itself, is quite interesting and there's suspense throughout its conception and execution. Unfortunately, the film spends too much time on dull personal subplots (particularly a romantic one) that were much less interesting, dragged the film out (to 2hrs) and made it boring at times. It's hard to believe that some writer thought that one of the more fascinating true stories of WWII needed a heavy dose of fictionalized personal drama added to it. At least it gets back on track at the end and the final half hour is the best part of the film. In the end, I didn't dislike it and did appreciate it as a period piece without CGI, but it could've been better. Some of that is probably because I'm judging it against The Man Who Never Was, which I prefer. I would recommend that, instead, but that doesn't appear to be streaming anywhere currently, so you'll have to settle for this if you're interested in the story. Perhaps you'll like it better if you're not already familiar with it or have something to compare it to, though. It's out now on Netflix.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad