Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate it | {Insert Appropriate Seasonal Greeting Here}

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
The Northman (2022) - 6.5/10 - I just didn't enjoy this movie as much as I wanted to enjoy this movie. Having a hard time putting a finger on exactly why. The story was compelling; if maybe a little too straight forward, the acting was for the most part strong, the cinematography was excellent, the violence was well executed, the mysticism added to the overall product, the costumes and set design I thought were done well, the dialogue although somewhat sparse always served a purpose, and the pacing was generally good. I'm genuinely not sure what was missing to elevate the piece.

I guess without spoiling too much I would say having the major plot driving incident occur and the motivation for every major character revealed in the first 5 minutes of the film just kind of failed to draw me into the story. Seemed like the rest of the movie just unfolded predictably with very little else to it. Maybe that's what I should have expected for a glorified gory fairy tale. The climax and the build up to it was good though. Might have to come back to this one eventually.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Beach Blanket Bingo (1965)

50288.jpg

I watched this in the background, while finishing up a Lego set.

A 23 year old Linda Evans was quite attractive and Buster Keaton spoke. Oddly, I was mildly entertained, something with skydiving, a kidnapping, but not The Skydivers.

6/10

Afterwards, TCM was running promos for their Underground (read: B movies), and I'm quite intrigued.

And while I can't give full reviews, yesterday I caught part of The Traveling Executioner (1970) and today, King of Hearts (1967). The later seemed like a fever dream, and the former just had an unusual story for me, and a young Marianna Hill (if you've seen Star Trek:TOS, you'd recognize her).

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
I haven't been posting here much but still enjoying reading the movie reviews here. My viewing habits changed a lot during the pandemic. For some reason I have shifted more towards watching series on the streaming platforms like Gaslit, Bosch Legacy, and Slow Horses. They are all very good and highly recommended. I've also recently been watching Moon Knight, The Man Who Fell From Earth etc...I like the new Star Trek Strange New Worlds, more than Picard and Discovery for some strange reason. Maybe because it is more old style Trek. Also enjoyed the Netflix film The Takedown with Omar Sy but film viewing has been rare. I do have Everything, Everywhere All at Once ready to view but have not gone around to it yet. Reviews here for that were very positive. But for the most part, I'm just not in the movie watching mode recently. Movie theatres are open again but I'm just not motivated to going back just yet. I have no idea why that is. (it's not Covid fears)

I expect there will be more Hollywood action flicks out this Summer, more than the last two years. But I still expect that the good art-house fare to come out only later in the Fall and Winter. I noticed that kihei proclaimed that the 2021 crop of 'cinephile films' were good in the end, but that was late in coming (after a late flurry of releases). I figure the same might happen this year (most might be released later). I am keeping an eye on what is being released at Film Festivals right now, a good indication of the content that will be released later.

Aside from that, nothing to report. Just not into movies lately. If I do see something interesting though, I will post a review. (more to let you know that the specific film exists than to just hearing myself talk)

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
The Sacrifice (1986) (subtitles)
3.70 out of 4stars

“Tarkovsky’s final picture, it focus on a middle-aged intellectual atheist who attempts to bargain with God to stop an impending nuclear holocaust.”
An excellent existential art drama about the relationship between mankind, a seemingly Christian God, and the state of the world. Tarkovsky himself admits there are 3 viewpoints for this film: a supernatural unknown explanation, a faith based literal explanation, or rational/purely agnostic delusoional insanity explanation. The early on discussions, which are mostly monologues between our protagonist and his child, are nothing short of exceptional, as are the cinematography and subtle important touches throughout the film. In a refreshingly cerebral way, covered topics include spirituality, faith, hope, sin, purity, prayer, silence, truth, meaning, the unknown, technology, materialism, secularism, fear, death, suffering, regeneration, nature, peace, harmony, the future, sacrifice, and Nietzsche. And there are literally endless amounts of biblical connections and metaphors in this film on that side of the spectrum, and more symbolism of non-christian things also throughout. Altogether a very deep intellectually engaging movie with lots of aesthetic beauty and meaning about some of the most important aspects of life.

Criss Cross (1949)
2.90 out of 4stars

"An armored-car guard must join a robbery after being caught with his ex-wife by her gangster husband, after he was away on business."
A great stylish heist noir filled with crosses (as you would guess), a couple quality action scenes, solid suspense, and prototypical obsessive forbidden love, femme fatale, fate, flawed hero, and cynicism. The heist buildup and execution itself is fun and effective, yet a small part of the bigger picture. The main story is about Lancaster’s love for his ex-wife, even though she’s ‘bad for him’, disliked by all his family and friends, and gets into arguments with her every time they meet. Yet, Lancaster just can’t get her out of his head or his life no matter the consequences, and they are criminal here. Because of lust, first true love, taboo, adrenaline junkie thrill, taboo angle, or otherwise, his fate is tied to this femme fatale. The film has great depth for sure, but for me the entertainment and execution factor of everything was more enjoyable, including some excellently memorable shots.

The Seventh Victim (1943)
2.85 out of 4stars

"A young woman travels to New York City in search of her missing sister, who stopped paying her boarding school tuition. There she uncovers a Satanic cult that may have something to do with her sibling's random disappearance."
A great atmospheric psychological horror noir with existential themes of mental illness and absurdist nihilism. This was a very creative way to dive into existential issues, through the use of many horror elements and some noir ingredients. And it works in all facets, aside from a little unevenness I'll get into later. Shown is how mental illness, like depression, can be caused by one trying to find their place in a world that doesn't accept them as they naturally are, rejects their attempts at conforming or connection, refuses to provide meaning/purpose for their life, or multiple of those listed together. Val Lewton suggests the theme here is, "Death can be good", or at least the lesser of 2 evils, as a release from a relentless slowly annihilating cancer that deep depression can be. Absurdist nihilism is what I see, that life can be seen by some as purposeless, chaotic, and meaningless and that attempting to connect or make sense of it leads to pain through resentment/antipathy. I also see the theme of religious persecution evident with a different type of Satanists group evidenced here. The movie was supposedly highly controversial for it's time given it's subject matter involving undertones (or overtones even) on lesbianism, death, and Satanism. The story feels a bit uneven at times also, but I have researched this is likely due to production company demands of cutting/limiting the running time and budget (a few major scenes apparently were chopped from this), arguably retaliation for Val Lewton's choice of director.

The Reckless Moment (1949)
2.70 out of 4stars

"After discovering the dead body of her teenage daughter's lover, a housewife takes desperate measures to protect her family from scandal."
A good noir about the lengths parents go to protect their ignorant children and morality gap between criminals and 'average folk'. Not groundbreaking or new, but short and sweet, housewives raise, groom, and protect children for and from themselves and the world. Now the more interesting theme here, the morality gap and reasons/reasonings for actions between a criminal and an upperclass housewife here. Some criminals can have a clear conscience and put a smile on as they blackmail and threaten others for personal gain, while a housewife seen here only acts illegally when protecting her family, and does so with immense stress and even self-sacrificial thoughts if things go south (yet, still no Mother Teresa). But there is something to be said about selflessness vs cynicism in the world. Whether that morality gap is learned or innate for all is debatable, and whether the pureness of one's heart can change also is questionable. In civilized societies, there are pressures all around pushing and molding children/youths to be ethical and moral through the forces of parents/guardians, schools, religions, promoted role models, age specific media, and/or governmental bodies/laws. The flip side is there are always rebelling forces that also promote their ideals/benefits, but are always the minority and quietest voices in the crowd. Which concludes to the most interesting thought in the middle ground on both sides of the equation, is a major evil act for the right reason wrong or taint one's purity, and does a grand good sympathetic deed in reaction to negative ones make up for one's 'sin' or clean one's personal filth? Is a clean soul corruptible or is a corrupted soul cleanable?

Men (2022)
2.65 out of 4stars

“In the aftermath of a personal tragedy, Harper retreats alone to the beautiful English countryside, hoping to have found a place to heal. But someone or something from the surrounding woods appears to be stalking her. What begins as simmering dread becomes a fully-formed nightmare in visionary filmmaker Alex Garland's (Ex Machina, Annihilation) feverish, shape-shifting new horror film.”
A good psychological horror film about trauma, guilt, grief, toxic masculinity, and biblical/religious metaphors. It’s definitely eerie, dream-like, keeps you on your toes, creative at times, and has a touch of body horror. That said, it’s not as effective as it wants to be, is a bit too on the nose at times, and a bit too abstract at other times, if that makes sense. Last but not least, the very very very absolute ending (moments prior deliver for certain) is a bit of a let down. A good swing and final product for Garland, but likely his weakest work nonetheless.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
I haven't been posting here much but still enjoying reading the movie reviews here. My viewing habits changed a lot during the pandemic. For some reason I have shifted more towards watching series on the streaming platforms like Gaslit, Bosch Legacy, and Slow Horses. They are all very good and highly recommended. I've also recently been watching Moon Knight, The Man Who Fell From Earth etc...I like the new Star Trek Strange New Worlds, more than Picard and Discovery for some strange reason. Maybe because it is more old style Trek. Also enjoyed the Netflix film The Takedown with Omar Sy but film viewing has been rare. I do have Everything, Everywhere All at Once ready to view but have not gone around to it yet. Reviews here for that were very positive. But for the most part, I'm just not in the movie watching mode recently. Movie theatres are open again but I'm just not motivated to going back just yet. I have no idea why that is. (it's not Covid fears)

I expect there will be more Hollywood action flicks out this Summer, more than the last two years. But I still expect that the good art-house fare to come out only later in the Fall and Winter. I noticed that kihei proclaimed that the 2021 crop of 'cinephile films' were good in the end, but that was late in coming (after a late flurry of releases). I figure the same might happen this year (most might be released later). I am keeping an eye on what is being released at Film Festivals right now, a good indication of the content that will be released later.

Aside from that, nothing to report. Just not into movies lately. If I do see something interesting though, I will post a review. (more to let you know that the specific film exists than to just hearing myself talk)

It's funny, I'm the exact opposite. I have difficulty getting into series', especially subsequent/serial ones that have a connective/cliff hangery story episode to episode, usually spanning 4-8hours a season, sometimes up to a total of 16hours. And focusing on generally a couple main plot points/stories/themes/relationships. Much easier for me to wash my hands and mind with something over 80-120mins in general and get something different out of it just about every time. Series are a commitment I don't want to generally make. If I am putting that much time into something, I better love it. Anytime I watch series it's generally non-linear/standalone stuff, mostly comedy stuff. To each his own though. Always stop in when you can. Reading reviews is my favorite part of participation in this thread. :)

Reactions: Puck and Zeppo

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
The Sacrifice (1986) (subtitles)
3.70 out of 4stars

“Tarkovsky’s final picture, it focus on a middle-aged intellectual atheist who attempts to bargain with God to stop an impending nuclear holocaust.”
An excellent existential art drama about the relationship between mankind, a seemingly Christian God, and the state of the world. Tarkovsky himself admits there are 3 viewpoints for this film: a supernatural unknown explanation, a faith based literal explanation, or rational/purely agnostic delusoional insanity explanation. The early on discussions, which are mostly monologues between our protagonist and his child, are nothing short of exceptional, as are the cinematography and subtle important touches throughout the film. In a refreshingly cerebral way, covered topics include spirituality, faith, hope, sin, purity, prayer, silence, truth, meaning, the unknown, technology, materialism, secularism, fear, death, suffering, regeneration, nature, peace, harmony, the future, sacrifice, and Nietzsche. And there are literally endless amounts of biblical connections and metaphors in this film on that side of the spectrum, and more symbolism of non-christian things also throughout. Altogether a very deep intellectually engaging movie with lots of aesthetic beauty and meaning about some of the most important aspects of life.

Criss Cross (1949)
2.90 out of 4stars

"An armored-car guard must join a robbery after being caught with his ex-wife by her gangster husband, after he was away on business."
A great stylish heist noir filled with crosses (as you would guess), a couple quality action scenes, solid suspense, and prototypical obsessive forbidden love, femme fatale, fate, flawed hero, and cynicism. The heist buildup and execution itself is fun and effective, yet a small part of the bigger picture. The main story is about Lancaster’s love for his ex-wife, even though she’s ‘bad for him’, disliked by all his family and friends, and gets into arguments with her every time they meet. Yet, Lancaster just can’t get her out of his head or his life no matter the consequences, and they are criminal here. Because of lust, first true love, taboo, adrenaline junkie thrill, taboo angle, or otherwise, his fate is tied to this femme fatale. The film has great depth for sure, but for me the entertainment and execution factor of everything was more enjoyable, including some excellently memorable shots.

The Seventh Victim (1943)
2.85 out of 4stars

"A young woman travels to New York City in search of her missing sister, who stopped paying her boarding school tuition. There she uncovers a Satanic cult that may have something to do with her sibling's random disappearance."
A great atmospheric psychological horror noir with existential themes of mental illness and absurdist nihilism. This was a very creative way to dive into existential issues, through the use of many horror elements and some noir ingredients. And it works in all facets, aside from a little unevenness I'll get into later. Shown is how mental illness, like depression, can be caused by one trying to find their place in a world that doesn't accept them as they naturally are, rejects their attempts at conforming or connection, refuses to provide meaning/purpose for their life, or multiple of those listed together. Val Lewton suggests the theme here is, "Death can be good", or at least the lesser of 2 evils, as a release from a relentless slowly annihilating cancer that deep depression can be. Absurdist nihilism is what I see, that life can be seen by some as purposeless, chaotic, and meaningless and that attempting to connect or make sense of it leads to pain through resentment/antipathy. I also see the theme of religious persecution evident with a different type of Satanists group evidenced here. The movie was supposedly highly controversial for it's time given it's subject matter involving undertones (or overtones even) on lesbianism, death, and Satanism. The story feels a bit uneven at times also, but I have researched this is likely due to production company demands of cutting/limiting the running time and budget (a few major scenes apparently were chopped from this), arguably retaliation for Val Lewton's choice of director.

The Reckless Moment (1949)
2.70 out of 4stars

"After discovering the dead body of her teenage daughter's lover, a housewife takes desperate measures to protect her family from scandal."
A good noir about the lengths parents go to protect their ignorant children and morality gap between criminals and 'average folk'. Not groundbreaking or new, but short and sweet, housewives raise, groom, and protect children for and from themselves and the world. Now the more interesting theme here, the morality gap and reasons/reasonings for actions between a criminal and an upperclass housewife here. Some criminals can have a clear conscience and put a smile on as they blackmail and threaten others for personal gain, while a housewife seen here only acts illegally when protecting her family, and does so with immense stress and even self-sacrificial thoughts if things go south (yet, still no Mother Teresa). But there is something to be said about selflessness vs cynicism in the world. Whether that morality gap is learned or innate for all is debatable, and whether the pureness of one's heart can change also is questionable. In civilized societies, there are pressures all around pushing and molding children/youths to be ethical and moral through the forces of parents/guardians, schools, religions, promoted role models, age specific media, and/or governmental bodies/laws. The flip side is there are always rebelling forces that also promote their ideals/benefits, but are always the minority and quietest voices in the crowd. Which concludes to the most interesting thought in the middle ground on both sides of the equation, is a major evil act for the right reason wrong or taint one's purity, and does a grand good sympathetic deed in reaction to negative ones make up for one's 'sin' or clean one's personal filth? Is a clean soul corruptible or is a corrupted soul cleanable?

Men (2022)
2.65 out of 4stars

“In the aftermath of a personal tragedy, Harper retreats alone to the beautiful English countryside, hoping to have found a place to heal. But someone or something from the surrounding woods appears to be stalking her. What begins as simmering dread becomes a fully-formed nightmare in visionary filmmaker Alex Garland's (Ex Machina, Annihilation) feverish, shape-shifting new horror film.”
A good psychological horror film about trauma, guilt, grief, toxic masculinity, and biblical/religious metaphors. It’s definitely eerie, dream-like, keeps you on your toes, creative at times, and has a touch of body horror. That said, it’s not as effective as it wants to be, is a bit too on the nose at times, and a bit too abstract at other times, if that makes sense. Last but not least, the very very very absolute ending (moments prior deliver for certain) is a bit of a let down. A good swing and final product for Garland, but likely his weakest work nonetheless.
Have you seen the other Val Lewton produced films? While I don't think none of them stray far from B movie territory, some still punch above their weight, like Cat People. I felt that being unable to show violence, added so much to the story, just shadows and sound effects, really makes the mind fill in the blanks.

I personally liked the ones with Boris Karloff most of all, he added a lot of class, although Tom Conway was no slouch. Both he and his brother George Sanders could pull off that suave, yet sleazy villain so well.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
The Northman (2022) - 6.5/10 - I just didn't enjoy this movie as much as I wanted to enjoy this movie. Having a hard time putting a finger on exactly why. The story was compelling; if maybe a little too straight forward, the acting was for the most part strong, the cinematography was excellent, the violence was well executed, the mysticism added to the overall product, the costumes and set design I thought were done well, the dialogue although somewhat sparse always served a purpose, and the pacing was generally good. I'm genuinely not sure what was missing to elevate the piece.

I guess without spoiling too much I would say having the major plot driving incident occur and the motivation for every major character revealed in the first 5 minutes of the film just kind of failed to draw me into the story. Seemed like the rest of the movie just unfolded predictably with very little else to it. Maybe that's what I should have expected for a glorified gory fairy tale. The climax and the build up to it was good though. Might have to come back to this one eventually.

I have it around that 6.25 to 6.5/10 mark myself too. Eggers really knows how to create the perfect atmosphere for his movies, and I like the fight scenes and the acting, but otherwise, the whole thing is just fine, and nothing more. Like you mentioned, something is amiss, but I also cannot put my finger on it either. Perhaps the time for mythological epics has passed, and the audience is no longer impressed by them. That is my only explanation anyways.

Last edited:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
The late Roger Ebert was extremely complimentary to Witness, as he wrote, "We have lately been getting so many pallid, bloodless little movies- mostly recycled teenage exploitation films made by ambitious young stylists without a thought in their heads- that Witness arrives like a fresh new day." That gave me high hopes for it, but my initial review was that Ebert greatly exaggerated, as it is merely fine, but not as spectacular as he made it out to be. However, after I have some time to digest, I realize that he might not have lied, because most of the movies from the 80s are indeed pretty terrible. After a while, when something half-decent comes along, it would indeed seem like a masterpiece.
:laugh:

To be clear, the movie is good, because Peter Weir is a good director who knows his craft, and I do like the clean and straight forward film style. It is also one of the very few Hollywood movie that depicts the Amish with what I thought as respect and dignity, and that is rather rare, since the whole community is usually used as the butt of jokes. Unfortunately, as an action movie, there are major issues with the pace, as it has a great first 30 minutes, and then the whole thing just halts into an exploration of the Amish lifestyle, along with a romance, only for it to jump back to life in the final 20 minutes or so. I have read a lot of compliments on the romance, and perhaps that is able to keep people's interests, but personally, it does nothing for me. In fact, that big kiss scene where the camera spins around looks very awkward, since Ford basically puts his mouth on anywhere but the mouth of his counterpart.
:laugh:

That is the only issue I have with the acting though, because I do like the chemistry between Ford and McGillis. Interestingly, while Ford got his only Best Actor Oscar nomination in his career for this role, which is another reason I wanted to check this one out, he is not any better than he is in any other role. In fact, McGillis acted circles around him, and I am far more impressed by her than him. It is too bad she just has so many personal demons, due to a very hard personal life, and her height basically ended by 1990, because she is a great actress. Juilliard is indeed a great school, as some notable alumni include Jessica Chastain, Viola Davis, Adam Driver, Oscar Issac, and Laura Linney, etc.

I will give it a 6.5/10. It is fine, and while it has pacing issues, that is not fatal. While I am not too impressed with it, it really is decent. I can recommend it, but it has no re-watch value. Once is enough for me.

Edit:
I bumped it up to a 6.5 from my initial 6.25. There is a range, but at the very least, I liked it more than The Northman, and I cannot grade it lower than it.

Last edited:
Reactions: OzzyFan

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Have you seen the other Val Lewton produced films? While I don't think none of them stray far from B movie territory, some still punch above their weight, like Cat People. I felt that being unable to show violence, added so much to the story, just shadows and sound effects, really makes the mind fill in the blanks.

I personally liked the ones with Boris Karloff most of all, he added a lot of class, although Tom Conway was no slouch. Both he and his brother George Sanders could pull off that suave, yet sleazy villain so well.

Isles of the Dead, was good, but didn't blow me away. I saw Cat People and was honestly conflicted on what to think. I don't know if I watched it at a time I wasn't ready to absorb it or found it too predictable or it was missing something for me to be taken with it. Might have to rewatch it one day. I still have I Walked With a Zombie on my to watch list, but for some reason constantly put it off.

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
small.jpg

The Small Back Room-1949 (aka Hour of Glory)

Powerful drama of a disabled munitions expert as he struggles to deal with his pain and demons. He agonizes whether to dull the pain with whiskey, while his girlfriend is steadfast in her support. And there is a mystery to solve of booby trapped bombs. Cool that they used Stonehenge as a backdrop for one scene. Impressive use of closeups throughout. Very little music, nice use of natural sounds instead. The two leads are great, another vgood, well written film from Powell & Pressburger. On archive.org.

the-man-who-knew-too-much-1934-3.jpg

The Man Who Knew Too Much-1934 & 1956

A man goes on holiday with his family and ends up pulled into an assasination plot. Same director, similar plot but two very different movies from setting to length, from British film to Hollywood version. The remake is more polished, has top stars (Jimmy Stewart & Doris Day), is ~ 45 minutes longer and is in colour. Liked the first one more though. Hitch liked to visit Switzerland and had a daughter, must have influenced the original. More humour in the first film, the two guys singing a conversation in church (neither can sing well), while Doris Day has a great voice. And Peter Lorre always seem to add an interesting angle. Two good films.

genius-2016-jude-law-nicole-kidman-colin-firth.png

Genius-2016

Biopic of writer Thomas Wolfe. Wasn't familiar with him but the fact that Max Perkins was his editor piqued my interest (also an editor for F. Scott Fitgerald and Ernest Hemingway). Great cast but pretty standard story. Does have me interested in checking out one of his books, some were autobiographical novels.

Nightmare%2BAlley%2B3.jpg

Nightmare Alley-1947

Carnival con man works his way up using people in the process. I've seen quite a few Tyrone Power films, this may be the best of them. Everyone is good, several plot twists. Well done film.

Last edited:

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Rocketman (2019)

Absolute rubbish

Egerton was poorly cast in the lead role, and the entire film is style over substance

I found myself forwarding through the musical numbers

There was nothing remotely entertaining about the characters, the performances, or the story

And I would have liked to love it
But it was all just shit
My interest ended long before
The movie ever did

Reactions: Zeppo

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Uncharted 5/10

There is some fun to be had here, and on it's own if it was called almost anything else it would be OK

But the problem is it's Uncharted and the established characters are not done right at all

Mark Walhberg doesn't even try to do Sully's accient , or act like Sully in any way

he doesn't have Sully's Mustache at any point in the money except for the post credit scene.

There is no chemistry between Nate and Chloe, if you played the games you know they have at least a fling if not a full blown relationship before he meets Elena, nope not even a hint of that.

Speaking of Elena there is a scene where Nate serves a drink to a blonde girl at the start of the movie, I wonder if that's supposed to be Elena in the sequel .because it kind of looks like her a little bit.

speaking of the games, if you played the games you know the twist at the end was coming a mile away, that being that Sam is alive, you can tell me he's dead all you want Sony I'm not stupid I played the games I know he's alive, I went into the movie knowing that stop telling me Sam is dead, he's not I know he's not.

the whole process of figuring out the puzzle and where the keys go is dumb.

the Main bad guy twist is also dumb it reminded me of the dark knight which was the worst part of that movie

there are very few, if any super natural elements, which uncharted is kind of known for.

It was cool to see the plane scene from uncharted 3.

Sully tries to stab Nate in the back during the auction when he tries to leave with the cross, Sully wouldn't do that he's Loyal to Nate he wouldn't attempt to abandon him.

Chloe flips back and forth between good guy and bad games more times in this movie then she ever does in the game.

It's just not done right

although like I said if it didn't have the uncharted name it would be a fine movie.

I am interested in the sequel after seeing the post credit scenes.

Hopefully they do that one justice

I forgot to mention Nathan Drake isn't funny and the ting is he's a sarcastic funny character in the games

there is VERY little of that in this movie

Chole is supposed to be confident, borderline cocky but she's not that at all

it's just not done right

Last edited:

Mantis

I am a doctah
Mar 7, 2011
Crimetown, Saskatchewan
Rocketman (2019)

Absolute rubbish

Egerton was poorly cast in the lead role, and the entire film is style over substance

I found myself forwarding through the musical numbers

There was nothing remotely entertaining about the characters, the performances, or the story

And I would have liked to love it
But it was all just shit
My interest ended long before
The movie ever did
Yep. I like Elton John but I had to turn this movie off after about half an hour.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Our Vines Have Tender Grapes (1945)

MV5BNzYzNmY5NDQtOGQxOS00NjBmLTkwYzgtNDQ1MjM1NTczN2Q0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzk3NTUwOQ@@._V1_.jpg

I missed the first part of this movie, but I couldn't turn away. Overall, saccharine sweet, tugging at the heart strings, emotional drama

Romanian-born Edward G. Robinson played a Norwegian farmer(!), raising two kids during WWII, in a small WI village, but both he and Margaret O'Brien gave great performances, the later in particular.

7/10

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Query: I'm currently at my father-in-law's and a modern soap is playing in the background. The stereotype of bad acting in soap operas has been well-established for years, which raised the following question. Are soap actors legitimately bad actors or do the showrunners ask the actors to act in such a manner to follow genre expectations and mold themselves to the aesthetics of the genre?

If anyone has an answer, I'd be really curious.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

I was a bit underwhelmed too. I think there was a strong "Vikings did it first" vibe in this. Meaning the show Vikings already did this sort of stuff.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I hadn't heard about this movie until several big Youtubers began talking about it, like John Campea. For him it was by far the best movie of the year. Very well liked by critics and movie goers: Everything Everywhere All at Once

I probably won't be able to watch it until torrents become available but I'm really looking forward to watching it.
Follow up: Now that I have seen it, I understand the hype. Maybe because I was getting tired while watching it and had to rewind a couple of times due to falling asleep, I probably didn't enjoy it that much but a clear 9/10 movie. It got a bit confusing at times but the essence of the movie is something Fast & Furious fans would enjoy. :laugh: Some of the things were definitely not PG, like using dildos as weapons bit. :biglaugh:

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
I also just saw Everything, Everywhere all at Once.

A delightfully insane romp with the accent on insane. I wish the Directors could have pushed it further with quick Easter egg cameos of various martial arts stars as tributes. What started ot as a bit of a mess of various journeys through the vast multiverse by 'Evelyn' to save it, was all brought into focus at the end to simply reconcile her own life within it. I'd easily give Jamie Lee Curtis an Oscar nom as Supporting Actress for her performance (what a great character that turned out to be).

A film like this had so many possibilities. I wondered after if you gave the same script to other Directors like a Woody Allen, Leos Caras, Spielberg or Tarantino, what they would have come up with here. The multiverse theme is becoming more recurrent, it might become a genre of its own.

p.s. if you have the time you could check out Hi Mom (2021), a film from China on a similar theme of Mother-Daughter reconciliation with altering timelines

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Mafia Inc --> for those familiar with Canada, its more or less about the Rizzuto family. They don't explicitly say on IMDB/Wikipedia its about them, but the parallels are obvious. If you know even a little about them, youll notice the story follows theirs to an extent.

Its like 2 1/2 hours and it doesn't really have any slow points.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
The Batman (2022) - 7/10

Good but had issues. Meaningless subplots and it's a mystery movie where the mystery isn't possible to solve. Considering the hype, I was slightly let down by this movie.

No Exit (2022) - 7/10

Really good low budget horror thriller. It's a "bottle" movie where 95% of it takes place in one location (a rest stop).

Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022) - 8/10

Really great genre blending; comedy, horror, and action are all here. Fans of "Army of Darkness" will love this.

Reactions: Osprey and OzzyFan

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Query: I'm currently at my father-in-law's and a modern soap is playing in the background. The stereotype of bad acting in soap operas has been well-established for years, which raised the following question. Are soap actors legitimately bad actors or do the showrunners ask the actors to act in such a manner to follow genre expectations and mold themselves to the aesthetics of the genre?

If anyone has an answer, I'd be really curious.

I would suggest the latter, but in all honesty we can also assume that these actors aren't the caliber of a Daniel Day-Lewis or De Niro. That said, a bunch of soap opera actors have gone into movies and have given respectable enough performances. For example, Kathy Bates, Laurence Fishburne, and Leo Dicaprio and are a few standouts:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I also just saw Everything, Everywhere all at Once.

A delightfully insane romp with the accent on insane. I wish the Directors could have pushed it further with quick Easter egg cameos of various martial arts stars as tributes. What started ot as a bit of a mess of various journeys through the vast multiverse by 'Evelyn' to save it, was all brought into focus at the end to simply reconcile her own life within it. I'd easily give Jamie Lee Curtis an Oscar nom as Supporting Actress for her performance (what a great character that turned out to be).

A film like this had so many possibilities. I wondered after if you gave the same script to other Directors like a Woody Allen, Leos Caras, Spielberg or Tarantino, what they would have come up with here. The multiverse theme is becoming more recurrent, it might become a genre of its own.

p.s. if you have the time you could check out Hi Mom (2021), a film from China on a similar theme of Mother-Daughter reconciliation with altering timelines
I still haven't mentally moved on from this movie.

This thing could have so easily fallen apart by loving it's own theme too much and become a stylistically fun but ultimately empty calorie movie. But it stayed so grounded in the story it wanted to tell.

Once again - I recommend this flick to pretty much anyone. I did not expect this to have such "broad" appeal - I thought it would be much more of a genre movie. But I really think this walks a very tough path to make the movie fun enough for popcorn movie enthusiasts, with a good, emotional story for those that want more meat on the bones.

I think this is the best movie I've seen in theaters since Parasite.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
No Exit (2022) - 7/10

Really good low budget horror thriller. It's a "bottle" movie where 95% of it takes place in one location (a rest stop).

I'm a sucker for movies that take place at one location, so you had me there and I checked it out last night. I ended up liking it, too. Sure, it offers nothing new, a lot of it is predictable, the final twist is ridiculous and the characters make some questionable decisions, but there are still a few surprises, the lead actress is pretty good and it's tense. It exceeded my expectations, at least for a low budget, straight-to-streaming movie made by and starring no one that I'd ever heard of, save for the AllState commercial guy. Thanks for the recommendation. If anyone else cares for an isolation thriller and doesn't expect too much, it's on Hulu.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad