Player Discussion Lane Hutson Part 2

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
When I think of how Lane Hutson is being used the thought of "setting him up for failure" comes to mind.

You must know him better than management does.

I mean, Quinn Hughes totally broke down from being used on the first pairing in his first season, finishing 2nd after Edler for TOI. Poor kid is totally finished now.

Not every player is a Kotkaniemi.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
When I think of how Lane Hutson is being used the thought of "setting him up for failure" comes to mind.
In my opinion the only to set a top 6 or top 4 skilled player up for failure is by losing faith in him and running him under the bus and yo-yo-ing him between the NHL and the AHL until he needs to be waived and another team claims him.

As long as they are patient and communicate with the kid i don't see any issues. They might have to send him back to the AHL if he keeps struggling defensively but as long as they explain him why i don't see any problem with it.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I know you're joking but just in case someone reads this and be like right? right? Mete was a 4th round pick who never dominated anywhere (junior, AHL) outside of his very last junior season.
LOL
But you have to admit he was hyped for his offensive flair.

Reactions: LaP

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
In my opinion the only to set a top 6 or top 4 skilled player up for failure is by losing faith in him and running him under the bus and yo-yo-ing him between the NHL and the AHL until he needs to be waived and another team claims him.

As long as they are patient and communicate with the kid i don't see any issues. They might have to send him back to the AHL if he keeps struggling defensively but as long as they explain him why i don't see any problem with it.
Got to manage his minutes

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

I would shelter him long before thinking the AHL is a good option.
The problem is neither Xhekaj nor Struble has stood out as a decent second pairing place holder.
Even worse Savard has been a terrible second pairing RD place holder.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The problem is neither Xhekaj nor Struble has stood out as a decent second pairing place holder.
We have nobody to shelter him though outside of Guhle and Guhle is playing too much to "shelter" a younger player. We would need to get rid of Savard and find a better vet to do so imo.

I think one of the main problem we have atm is we have too many offensive dmen. KH will have to make a choice. Can't have Hutson, Matheson, Barron and Mailloux in the lineup. If the future is Mailloux and Hutson (i think it is) and you want to give them NHL exp now i feel loike you have to trade the other two and surround Guhle, Mailloux and Hutson with two solid steady vets closer to their prime than Savard.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
We can’t shelter him though because he’s our 3rd best defenseman lmfao

Reactions: jrom

Habs

Who needs Michkov when you've got Bustbacher
Feb 28, 2002
We are leading in some of the stats finally
1729818267805.png

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
We can’t shelter him though because he’s our 3rd best defenseman lmfao
We can't shelter him until someone can step up and defend better on that left side which is a huge problem isn't it?
As soon as we can get either Xhekaj or Struble stabilized we can shelter him fairly easily.
It's not something we'd set out to do all the time but something that may have to be done over the course of a season.
So go ahead and LYFAO but just realize we aren't in an ideal situation.
Any defender other than Hutson would have been scorched on these boards for his recent performances.
He's not immune you know.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
We can't shelter him until someone can step up and defend better on that left side which is a huge problem isn't it?
As soon as we can get either Xhekaj or Struble stabilized we can shelter him fairly easily.
It's not something we'd set out to do all the time but something that may have to be done over the course of a season.
So go ahead and LYFAO but just realize we aren't in an ideal situation.
Any defender other than Hutson would have been scorched on these boards for his recent performances.
He's not immune you know.
Man I’m not saying he’s immune he sucks dick defensively and badly needs sheltering

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
We have nobody to shelter him though outside of Guhle and Guhle is playing too much to "shelter" a younger player. We would need to get rid of Savard and find a better vet to do so imo.

I think one of the main problem we have atm is we have too many offensive dmen. KH will have to make a choice. Can't have Hutson, Matheson, Barron and Mailloux in the lineup. If the future is Mailloux and Hutson (i think it is) and you want to give them NHL exp now i feel loike you have to trade the other two and surround Guhle, Mailloux and Hutson with two solid steady vets closer to their prime than Savard.
It looks like opening spots on D was not the main issue. Everything would look better if Guhle were healthy, but even best case everyone is playing probably a pairing higher than what they can cope with. Guhle and Matheson would be good with fewer minutes and weaker competition, but no one else comes close to first pairing. They don't really have anyone else ready for the second pairing. Lots of third pairing guys, and lots who would benefit from time in Laval.

Once the team starts trying to make the playoffs they'll need to sign a defensive D or two and some bottom 6 guys. They may need someone to fill out the top 6 forwards as well.

Hutson can play offense, and he can play D at every level below the NHL, but so far he hasn't shown that he can be a net positive with the habs. He's got time to develop, but a season as the top guy in Laval might be better than getting owned in the NHL and getting passes until they decide he's had enough chances, sort of like Xhekaj and JK. Some players have their games together and just have to adapt to the NHL, some need to finish building their games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad