Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
I am really surprised on how he progress, I thought it would be really difficult to adapt but he already is making safe play and is way better than I thought in his zone, the only concern for me is his coverage in front of the net, when the other player is bigger (which is 97% of the time) he has problem with pushing the body and blocking the stick of his oppononent has they use their size to their advantage, other than that I think he has a 60-70 pts upside and maybe more

Darz

Sep 22, 2002
Where's the ANY key?
Visit site
- Smart play by Gallagher to give Hutson the puck back and head straight to the net.

- Been a fan of Hutson's since we drafted him, but have to admit, my fandom is growing each and every game. He can create scoring chances out of nothing multiple times a game. I was in the gruop that thought his ceiling this year was gonna be in the 30-40 points range, but (I know it's early) that might of been undervaluing him.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
When your team is in a rebuild, you need to have things to look forward to other then the wins. Hutson is delivering that for me right now. I want to see him on the ice, I get excited when he has the puck... always wondering what's he'll pull of. People keep saying that he wont be able to keep his style in the NHL and he's proving them wrong.

Play the kid, let him get comfortable in all situation. He'll make mistake... I dont care. make me dream kid!

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

These stats are no coincidence, these stats have been that way his entire career, at every level. Those are against Boston and Toronto, not Chicago and Anaheim eh.

Those of you that think he can't play defense will watch in not so many games when he is playing no.1 minutes.
It's a different way of looking at defensive play isn't it?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
When your team is in a rebuild, you need to have things to look forward to other then the wins. Hutson is delivering that for me right now. I want to see him on the ice, I get excited when he has the puck... always wondering what's he'll pull of. People keep saying that he wont be able to keep his style in the NHL and he's proving them wrong.

Play the kid, let him get comfortable in all situation. He'll make mistake... I dont care. make me dream kid!

it's why I said I would have put him on PP1 from the start because he is the future, unless we get someone else that can be a #1 PP QB, as the Habs PP has been a nightmare for years and this is a league where it's very hard to be good if your PP sucks ass. If you had a Carey Price in net maybe but this organization at least for now badly needs a #1 PP QB and Hutson is the answer no question.

If people watched my Lane Hutson vids they saw what he can do, just a question of how effective can he be at such a light weight over a long season and in one day hopefully some long playoff runs. But you could always see that where ever he went he was able to put on a show. I've got almost 100 Hutson vids on my channel, if you haven't seen them by now I would suggest watching him closely.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
it's why I said I would have put him on PP1 from the start because he is the future, unless we get someone else that can be a #1 PP QB, as the Habs PP has been a nightmare for years and this is a league where it's very hard to be good if your PP sucks ass. If you had a Carey Price in net maybe but this organization at least for now badly needs a #1 PP QB and Hutson is the answer no question.

If people watched my Lane Hutson vids they saw what he can do, just a question of how effective can he be at such a light weight over a long season and in one day hopefully some long playoff runs. But you could always see that where ever he went he was able to put on a show. I've got almost 100 Hutson vids on my channel, if you haven't seen them by now I would suggest watching him closely.
It's only a matter of time before he's the number one guy. I don't think many people would disagree that he's probably already the best fit there.

However, the Canadiens have to be careful here. Matheson's value is pretty high due to his PP numbers and I don't see him as a long term solution here. So that means trading him sooner rather than later. And for the duration that he's here, it kinda makes sense to keep giving him those PP minutes so he doesn't lose his value.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It's only a matter of time before he's the number one guy. I don't think many people would disagree that he's probably already the best fit there.

However, the Canadiens have to be careful here. Matheson's value is pretty high due to his PP numbers and I don't see him as a long term solution here. So that means trading him sooner rather than later. And for the duration that he's here, it kinda makes sense to keep giving him those PP minutes so he doesn't lose his value.

I don't think his value is that high, but that depends on what anyone thinks high means. I have never cared for Matheson so I don't see the need to be careful here as I think GMs know what kind of player he is. I don't think he's the key to any big trade outside of a package.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't think his value is that high, but that depends on what anyone thinks high means. I have never cared for Matheson so I don't see the need to be careful here as I think GMs know what kind of player he is. I don't think he's the key to any big trade outside of a package.
It should definitley be a package. We have tons to trade with. And we need veteran help on the right side D. That makes the most sense. It lets Ghule move back to the left and takes the pressure off the younger blueliners. It's one thing to have a bunch of young forwards... a whole different thing to have young blueiners.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
A bad reputation is very hard to overcome and Matheson reputation was not good he was pretty much given away for free twice. The first time he was traded for an almost retired Hornqvist who was on a bad contract. Hornqvist was almost a cap dump at this point. This trade was seen pretty much as bad contract for bad contract. Then Pens shipped Matheson to us for basically nothing. He'll have a good value at the TDL of the last year of his contract if he keeps playing well but ATM i don't think his value is as high as people think it id.

Reactions: rahad and JIMVINNY

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Yeah that's why I never really got into the whole "sell high" on Matheson stuff. I think he's a pretty OK 2nd pair D who's uniquely well suited for the specific role of "#1 on a bad team to keep the puck moving so your forwards get touches" but I don't think anyone around the league would have been fooled by the 62 point season last year and I doubt his value has changed much or will be much different as a pending UFA either.

I just don't really think he ever really had or would have had that much trade value, a contender would be looking at him as a 2LD puck mover and a bad team would be trying to add him as a token vet to fill the #1/leader role and keep the game flow respectable for their forwards as a puck mover. Neither of those roles are really the kind of roster chair GMs are going to pay a ton to fill.

Muzzin returned a 1st and a couple B prospects, Ekholm returned a 1st, 4th, and a B prospect, just don't really see how Matheson's value would be in that ballpark since those guys are/were clearly better players.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Yeah that's why I never really got into the whole "sell high" on Matheson stuff. I think he's a pretty OK 2nd pair D who's uniquely well suited for the specific role of "#1 on a bad team to keep the puck moving so your forwards get touches" but I don't think anyone around the league would have been fooled by the 62 point season last year and I doubt his value has changed much or will be much different as a pending UFA either.

I just don't really think he ever really had or would have had that much trade value, a contender would be looking at him as a 2LD puck mover and a bad team would be trying to add him as a token vet to fill the #1/leader role and keep the game flow respectable for their forwards as a puck mover. Neither of those roles are really the kind of roster chair GMs are going to pay a ton to fill.

Muzzin returned a 1st and a couple B prospects, Ekholm returned a 1st, 4th, and a B prospect, just don't really see how Matheson's value would be in that ballpark since those guys are/were clearly better players.

Only thing is that his cap hit is pretty palatable for a contending team. That does add some value if he can have another good season here.. first two games were better on the defensive side than last year but significantly worse offensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad