Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Grate n Colorful Oz

Here for Hutson's monster thighs
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I wasn't sold on his defensive game if I'm being honest.
The question is, since it was his first two games just out of the NCAA, were you supposed to be sold on his defensive game?

His poise, control and skills were quite enough to make the team. We aren't challenging for the cup, so I don't see a problem with growing pains on defense.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Without question he still has a lot of things he needs to improve on so the big question is whether he can improve and develop those aspects of his game at the NHL level or not.

This is what I'm really appreciating about our drafting...

Hutson, like many of the players we've chosen the past few seasons, has a relentless drive to improve.

As much as people assume most players drafted or with a legit shot at the NHL must have a great work ethic / be coachable / be committed to improving, the reality is that far more than most would expect are the product of opportunity (including natural athletic ability) and circumstance moreso than sheer drive.

We have a hockey ops team that seems to have a strong eye for, and emphasis on, targeting athletes with above average commitment to continuous improvement.

Hutson has "that dog in him", not just in competition, but most importantly in the way he approaches every day of training.

If he can stay healthy, sky is the limit.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Honestly, same. I get the 'shiny toy' syndrome and he did look great offensively, shifty, making things happen, etc. But I did find that he got lost sometimes and maybe tried to do a little too much (a little Matheson-like).

I learned with Poehling that you can't focus on games a young guy has when he comes up at the end of the year as a benchmark. Wherever he starts the year, I'm fine with it and I trust the staff.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Agreed. I think he's not immune to the D challenges side of things. Fans typically evaluate by looking at offense and dam, he's pretty good at that part. However, his position is defense and make no mistake, the other teams coaches are going to target him. Especially with last change for Habs road games.

I just don't see him being a force in his own end. In breakouts yes but in terms of neutralizing players along the boards and in front of the net, he has a massive challenge and that may never go away.

Very excited to see what he can do but also humbled and understand that this will be a process just like anybody else. He's not Makar. He's a mini Makar.

Reactions: Rapala

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The question is, since it was his first two games just out of the NCAA, were you supposed to be sold on his defensive game?

His poise, control and skills were quite enough to make the team. We aren't challenging for the cup, so I don't see a problem with growing pains on defense.
Fair enough but that can't be the way he plays the Dside going forward.
There is a lot at stake this season the differential has to improve dramatically IMO.
He won't get the long leash our rookie Dmen were getting a couple of seasons ago.
This camp will be fascinating seeing how we handle certain purely offensive players.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Here for Hutson's monster thighs
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Fair enough but that can't be the way he plays the Dside going forward.
There is a lot at stake this season the differential has to improve dramatically IMO.
He won't get the long leash our rookie Dmen were getting a couple of seasons ago.
This camp will be fascinating seeing how we handle certain purely offensive players.

IMO, his strenght in transition and control in the offensive zone will be transformative to the habs, quite possibly being a much bigger plus versus his shortcomings.

Reactions: SlafySZN

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
it's slick
but he has to be careful, the NHL will go through the guy, they will play the body against him.

Florian could have kill him right there.

The quickness is insane tho.

100% agree. When I played, one of the things you don't do is stick handle and dangle when you are the last man back.

No doubt this will be a learning process. When to take changes and when not too. This is not going to be a simple process IMO. Hutson has to be allowed to be creative but he also has to learn puck management (like Slaf did last year). It's even more critical for Hutson as a puck carrying D man.

For now, enjoy the show. The kid has some sick offensive talent.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He's been avoiding hits his whole life, it's guys like Slaf who need to learn. Look at what happened with Lindros.

This is about adjustment when you turn pro. All players go through this process. Very few of them shine right away and most of them require time to mature and adapt to the less time/space and more physical players.

No doubt about it. Hutson is going to escape pressure more often than not. He's stick handling and foot speed is too good. What I have seen in the past is all it takes is one bit hit or a few turnovers and then the player is playing on their heels not to make a mistake vs attacking. It's not an easy thing to manage and figure out.

In open space, Hutson will shine. In tight space, he's not going to be able to be as creative and will have to learn when to just chip it out of danger. There are tons of physical forwards who can skate and they will be targeting him in tight spaces.

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
This kid's gonna be an absolute superstar. I watched a couple games he played for you guys, and I know you all watched him too. But wow. Those freak puck skills, that slippery skating, puck distribution.

I'm actually jealous but the Sabres have 3 LHD so he wouldn't fit anyway. But damn. I wonder if we ever trade for Byram if this kid was in the Sabres system.

Left handed Erik Karlsson and maybe even better. I noticed he wasn't terrible in his own zone either. He seemed about average which is crazy good for a rookie d.

Congrats, you guys have a dynasty in the making.
And no, I'm not just fishing for likes.
I really like this player.

He'll get 45-60 points his rookie year as a d-man.

Special, special player.

Congrats!

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
This kid's gonna be an absolute superstar. I watched a couple games he played for you guys, and I know you all watched him too. But wow. Those freak puck skills, that slippery skating, puck distribution.

I'm actually jealous but the Sabres have 3 LHD so he wouldn't fit anyway. But damn. I wonder if we ever trade for Byram if this kid was in the Sabres system.

Left handed Erik Karlsson and maybe even better. I noticed he wasn't terrible in his own zone either. He seemed about average which is crazy good for a rookie d.

Congrats, you guys have a dynasty in the making.
And no, I'm not just fishing for likes.
I really like this player.

He'll get 45-60 points his rookie year as a d-man.

Special, special player.

Congrats!
Based

Reactions: Toene

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
This is what I'm really appreciating about our drafting...

Hutson, like many of the players we've chosen the past few seasons, has a relentless drive to improve.

As much as people assume most players drafted or with a legit shot at the NHL must have a great work ethic / be coachable / be committed to improving, the reality is that far more than most would expect are the product of opportunity (including natural athletic ability) and circumstance moreso than sheer drive.

We have a hockey ops team that seems to have a strong eye for, and emphasis on, targeting athletes with above average commitment to continuous improvement.

Hutson has "that dog in him", not just in competition, but most importantly in the way he approaches every day of training.

If he can stay healthy, sky is the limit.
To some extent yes they are looking for that and it highlights that when Hughes talks about drafting/acquiring character players he's talking about something different from when Bergevin talked about it.

But we also can't ignore that environment plays a huge part in a person's drive/work ethic. It's a lot easier to display that drive to be better when everyone around you is also putting in hard work, when coming to the rink is fun and the highlight of your day, etc... And as a GM you set the tone for the whole organization and the right tone makes a big difference.

Reactions: Meth Flanders

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
To some extent yes they are looking for that and it highlights that when Hughes talks about drafting/acquiring character players he's talking about something different from when Bergevin talked about it.

But we also can't ignore that environment plays a huge part in a person's drive/work ethic. It's a lot easier to display that drive to be better when everyone around you is also putting in hard work, when coming to the rink is fun and the highlight of your day, etc... And as a GM you set the tone for the whole organization and the right tone makes a big difference.
Indeed... And being very intentional about the type of environment they are currating for the players, one focused on individual & team excellence, is yet another aspect this management group is getting right.

Future is bright 😎

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad