Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Actually, if you count a 3 to 2 ratio (F vs D), pro rated, there are as many small highscoring Ds than small highscoring forwards. The past and that 3/2 ratio skews your view. The difference in number is more related to forwards outnumbering defensemen than anything else. Highscoring small players, whether forwards or dmen, usually make it first and foremost because of high hockey IQ.

Also, since forward is the smallest position and getting smaller, the game also getting faster, I foresee a 180° flip in height, where we'll see the present average decrease slowly and it has already started, especially when it comes to highscoring players.

Concerning your last paragraph, I would tend to think the NHL will follow suit with the NBA and keep adding offense as it is what sells. So, I'm not concerned about Hutson making it. Maybe his defensive defficiencies will make him a winger, but I doubt it, because Hutson aligns three major attributes; high IQ, high puck skills, but most importantly, high compete, which should bridge him towards having a more complete game.

These are good points. It's just still a question mark for me as to what will actually happen. I just don't know either way.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I'm also realistic and don't know if he'll make it as a top 4 dman or even a bottom pair dman. But even if he doesn't, I think he'll make it as a winger and pp qb.
That might be were we are heading and I am fine with it. Having 3 proper defensive pairs for 5 on 5 hockey and when we are in the PP we use Hutson to direct the offense. I think it would be brilliant in the grand scheme of things. PP is very important to be a dominant team and nobody on our defensive prospects pool or NHL roster has his offensive abilities from the backline.

Reactions: 26Mats

durojean

May 29, 2007
I think like more than the half of us want Wright and if not, been ok with Cooley. I dont remember people having beef with a scenario where Cooley woudl have be the pick. From what I remember, Cooley always been considered the most gifted prospect of the draft, but Wright just seen too big a prospect to not pick him. Slaf was always the unlikable prospect.

I remember having at the time

Wright
Cooley
Nemec
And a toss between Jiricek and Slaf.

That is why I was so mad that we picked Slafkovsky.

That being said, the guy is still very young and very raw. We have to give him at least 5 more years.

Sadly, that draft that looked pretty weak at the top is starting to seem like a pretty good draft where we may have chosen wrong.

I had Hutson as our second first that year.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I remember having at the time

Wright
Cooley
Nemec
And a toss between Jiricek and Slaf.

That is why I was so mad that we picked Slafkovsky.

That being said, the guy is still very young and very raw. We have to give him at least 5 more years.

Sadly, that draft that looked pretty weak at the top is starting to seem like a pretty good draft where we may have chosen wrong.

I had Hutson as our second first that year.

I think Slaf and Cooley are still the two strongest pick our of them, Nemec, Wright and Jiricek.

There is not a lot to see right now but its very early.

I watched the last Yotes games and they were outmatched by LA. Cooley played 11mins and did nothing.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I think Slaf and Cooley are still the two strongest pick our of them, Nemec, Wright and Jiricek.

There is not a lot to see right now but its very early.

I watched the last Yotes games and they were outmatched by LA. Cooley played 11mins and did nothing.
I went to read the Coyotes fans views on Cooley and I'm thankful he wasn't drafted by the Habs because he would have been lapidated here.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I went to read the Coyotes fans views on Cooley and I'm thankful he wasn't drafted by the Habs because he would have been lapidated here.

He is terrific honestly but yes, i think we would say things like weakest 1st ov ever, another small forward, wont be strong enough for the NHL, etc. 4 of his 5 points were second PP pass.

We will see. Even the bright stars of the 2023 draft have their struggle. Its a tough league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad