Lane Hutson Burgeoning Star Watch

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
If you dont think Montreal and Toronto are the top 2 Hockey Meccas of the planet then you may want to inform yourself a bit more about the sport. I guarantee you its not an American city if you happen to think so.

Post a poll if you need more convincing
In terms of size, sure those two are the biggest. But how do you quantify "passion"? (Outside of an HFBoards poll, I guess.)

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
In terms of size, sure those two are the biggest. But how do you quantify "passion"? (Outside of an HFBoards poll, I guess.)
1729801105340.png

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
View attachment 920943

In all seriousness, if you lived a few years in Montreal youd get the idea.

For one, its the only (major) sports team Montreal has, so all our attention, even in the summer, is directed towards the Habs

theyre obviously the most historic and winningest franchise in hockey, which is a big part of it (similar to the Yankees and Celtics)

they take the time and effort to put on amazing spectacles such as opening night and number retirements, as theyre taken very seriously

practically all our sports media is 95% Habs talk (24/7 english and french radio, RDS (french TSN), TVA sports)

we sell out practically every game 21000+, even during long frustration droughts and rebuilds (unlike other cities who only go when their team is winning Cups like Chicago and Detroit)

the city's buzz and excitement during playoff runs such as 2021 are bigger than most actual Cup winners (see Kucherov's infamous quote). Low key sports bars have to take reservations.... Hell, I was at game 6 in 2002 when Montreal (7th seed) eliminated Boston (2nd seed) in the 1st round, youd swear we had just won the Cup seeing how we celebrated afterwards.

There are more Habs fans in OTHER Canadian cities than any other team (mostly for historic reasons). Youll hear loud cheers for the Habs whether theyre in: Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Ottawa, or Toronto.... Last draft was in Las Vegas of all cities, and the biggest cheer BY FAR was when Celion Dion said Ivan Demidov's name. By far.

Id even say this FORUM and THREAD is a pretty good indication too of how passionate the fanbase is.

Look Im not saying Leafs or Nucks fans dont love their team as much, but in Montreal its a religion.... With that comes a lot of bad apples and idiot homers, I wont deny that at all. Just goes to show.
The cheers were for Celine, as was a institution in Vegas.

Reactions: Voight

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
The Habs sent Caufield to the minors for a stint and that was a good move for the player’s development. It’s time for Hutson to play in the A. I see him getting sent down fairly soon. Best for him.
Yeah, they will send down their second best dman this year ( their first one is injured right now).

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta

you think THIS cheer was for Celine Dion? obviously not.... All to say, many Habs fans made their way to Las Vegas for the draft (and probably some partying). Thats over 4000 km away.

Honestly the first thought I had when that cheer happened was that it was Vegas showing there love for a long time resident of the city who has made the city a lot of money.

Put it this way, If the draft was in St. Louis do you think they would have had Celine come along?

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
View attachment 920943

For one, its the only (major) sports team Montreal has, so all our attention, even in the summer, is directed towards the Habs

theyre obviously the most historic and winningest franchise in hockey, which is a big part of it (similar to the Yankees and Celtics)

they take the time and effort to put on amazing spectacles such as opening night and number retirements, as theyre taken very seriously

practically all our sports media is 95% Habs talk (24/7 english and french radio, RDS (french TSN), TVA sports)

we sell out practically every game 21000+, even during long frustration droughts and rebuilds (unlike other cities who only go when their team is winning Cups like Chicago and Detroit)

the city's buzz and excitement during playoff runs such as 2021 are bigger than most actual Cup winners (see Kucherov's infamous quote). Low key sports bars have to take reservations.... Hell, I was at game 6 in 2002 when Montreal (7th seed) eliminated Boston (2nd seed) in the 1st round, youd swear we had just won the Cup seeing how we celebrated afterwards.

There are more Habs fans in OTHER Canadian cities than any other team (mostly for historic reasons). Youll hear loud cheers for the Habs whether theyre in: Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Ottawa, or Toronto.... Last draft was in Las Vegas of all cities, and the biggest cheer BY FAR was when Celion Dion said Ivan Demidov's name. By far.

Id even say this FORUM and THREAD is a pretty good indication too of how passionate the fanbase is.

Look Im not saying Leafs or Nucks fans dont love their team as much, but in Montreal its a religion.... With that comes a lot of bad apples and idiot homers, I wont deny that at all. Just goes to show.
Give it a rest man

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
View attachment 920943

Is this anecdotal or is there any stats for this?

ginomini

May 25, 2014
Honestly the first thought I had when that cheer happened was that it was Vegas showing there love for a long time resident of the city who has made the city a lot of money.

Put it this way, If the draft was in St. Louis do you think they would have had Celine come along?
When she was announced yes, but not when Demidov is announced. The commentator even says "habs fans seem to be liking that selection"

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Give it a rest man
he asked for justification, am I not entitled to answer him?

Put it this way, If the draft was in St. Louis do you think they would have had Celine come along
when shes says "Ivan Demidov", the cheer is clearly about the pick.... the video starts at that moment

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The pretentiousness in this comment is wild lol. How do you even quantify something like this?

Team boards with most replies on HF

TOR 5.4 million
MTL 4.9
BOS 3.5
NYR 3.3
EDM 3.3

Considering Toronto's (6 mil) GMA, Boston's (5m) GMA and NY's (23m) GMA are all bigger cities than Montreal (GMA is 4m), I'd say that's a strong argument to show Montrealers are the most passionate about hockey. The Habs are omnipresent, not only in Montreal, but everywhere in the province. It's part of the fabric of our lives

Also: come take a gander at our GDTs. Replies range in the thousands each game. As soon as there's a trade or signing, the page count goes up super fast.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
View attachment 920943

I don't believe this to be true. Maple Leafs definitely have a bigger fanbase.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Bigger doesn’t mean better. I see fan passion as person to person, so while those big teams might have more literal passionate fans, the quality of that passion is prob close to those smaller teams passionate fans .

If you spend time in your day talking hockey on a forum, I’d consider you a passionate hockey fan.

Ducks fan base isn’t large, but most of us have been talking hockey together for 15+ years (I know a bunch that migrated over from the MySpace groups).

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
View attachment 920943

geeez get a room......

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
I don't believe this to be true. Maple Leafs definitely have a bigger fanbase.
bigger population doesnt mean more passionate. Ive seen multiple opening ceremonies for the Leafs, and its quite sad to be honest. Those cheers sound like theyre discouraged more than anything... Toronto love their hockey team, no doubt, but just having the Blue Jays and Raptors as alternatives takes their focus away and it shows. Not their fault, if they can support 2 other teams, good for them!

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
no you didnt come across that way at all.....
so youre basing that on one post? Im a fan, just not as diehard as MANY others I know. Trust me.

I posted that because the guy was asking why I would consider Montreal as the most passionate fanbase. Thats all.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
so youre basing that on one post? Im a fan, just not as diehard as MANY others I know. Trust me.

I posted that because the guy was asking why I would consider Montreal as the most passionate fanbase. Thats all.
I really don't get why your continueing to partake in this specific topic. It's a topic that never ends up well and makes the person who say's it look rude and pretentious to use a "safe word".

It always comes off as belittling other fanbases.

Why do I say this? because I said something similar and people told me I was making myself look bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad