Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

MW6

Sponsor
Oct 21, 2011
Umeå
I’m bored.. Who says no in this 3-way trade:

Caps get:
Mitch Marner (10,903 x1yr UFA)

Leafs get:
Rasmus Andersson (4,6 x2yr UFA)
Andrew Mangiapane (5,8 x1yr UFA)
Caps 2026 1st

Flames get:
Connor McMichael (2,1 x 2yr RFA)
Timothy Liljegren (3,0 x2yr RFA)

- Caps get their point producer post-Ovie
- Flames get younger and deeper and more cost controlled years
- Leafs get cap relief, a 1RHD and a hardworking jack of all trades who can play anywhere in the top-9 basically.

Last edited:

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
I don't know enough about the 'needs' for the Leafs and Flames to judge every party. But I wouldn't want the Caps to give up those 3 pieces for a guy who is a pending UFA. I don't think the idea of that matches what they're trying to do.

Reactions: Block

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011

Caps get:

Leafs get:
Caps 2026 1st

Flames get:

- Leafs get cap relief, a 1RHD and a hardworking jack of all trades who can play anywhere in the top-9 basically.
I would say everyone but the Flames...? This is ridiculous.

Feel like every team but the Flames get worse in this scenario, and they only had to give up one meh asset?

MW6

Sponsor
Oct 21, 2011
Umeå
I don't know enough about the 'needs' for the Leafs and Flames to judge every party. But I wouldn't want the Caps to give up those 3 pieces for a guy who is a pending UFA. I don't think the idea of that matches what they're trying to do.
I would assume they’re allowed to speak with Marner’s agent before the trade to work out the details of an 8 year, 96M$ deal.
Mangiapane will probably won’t be re-signed anyway and that 1st round pick will hopefully be a late one.
McMichael is an attractive piece right now as he’s both producing and can play both C/W.

MW6

Sponsor
Oct 21, 2011
Umeå
I would say everyone but the Flames...? This is ridiculous.

Feel like every team but the Flames get worse in this scenario, and they only had to give up one meh asset?
I think you’re really underestimating Rasmus Andersson. Or am I overestimating him? Because IMO he’s a cheap, fast top pairing RHD that put up points. 0.6 pts/game going back 3 seasons on the flames. Plays 23+ min/game, both on the PP and the PK.

qc14

Jul 1, 2024

Caps get:

Leafs get:
Caps 2026 1st

Flames get:

Flames say no quickest, then Caps, then Leafs.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
We did luck into Backstrom, Oshie and Kuzy cap disappeared. But I agree, we are nicely perched. We always knew it needed to be a mix between young and old.

I don't think it was luck. I think they knew those guys probably wouldn't play out their entire contracts when they were signed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad