Confirmed Signing with Link: [VGK] D Shea Theodore signs extension with the Golden Knights (7 years, $7.425M AAV)

Raccoon Jesus

We were right there
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Great deal in today's market. He could've fetched around 8.5-8.7, maybe even 9 to a team desperate enough for a guy like him.

I thought for sure he was crusing for 7x9 or 8x8 based on comps even at his age

nice price to pay for a guy to settle into his situation with family as well, great deal for both imo

...Till VGK ruthlessly cuts his ass in year 5 :naughty:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I don't like players taking pay cuts. I just don't think that that's right. I feel like Vegas is taking advantage of the fact that he wants to stay.

• Haha
Reactions: WhataKnight and OKR

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Tax rate in his favor, especially with more than half coming from the signing bonus. Shea probably could have squeezed a little more to the 8m range, but this is comparable to getting a much higher deal in a higher tax market, and even more from those teams matching the signing bonus.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I assume he has a full NTC.
Does Hertl still have his trade protection? Or did he lose that when he was moved? If he does, then it's only Karlsson and Barbashev remaining with significant cap hits and limited trade protection.

15 team NTC last 2 years.

Hertl keeps his trade protection.

Tax rate in his favor, especially with more than half coming from the signing bonus. Shea probably could have squeezed a little more to the 8m range, but this is comparable to getting a much higher deal in a higher tax market, and even more from those teams matching the signing bonus.

That's the key... the taxes.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Pretty close to what i would've expected and what i guessed in the "value of" thread. Basically just starting from the Montour and Hronek deals, and adding a bit from there. Feels like he probably took a little smidge of a "hometown discount" over what he ultimately could have got elsewhere. I think his track record being a bit more established, he could've pushed a bit higher if he went for "maximum dollars".

Signing a "hometown discount" of any kind with Vegas seems a little dicey though. Trade protections or not, they haven't been known to be the most "loyal" organization per se. :laugh: But hey, he got his 7 years and it's darn good money. Plus at least a few more kicks at the can trying to add another Cup to the resume with Vegas before they start looking for ways to force him out. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad