Lane Hutson Burgeoning Star Watch

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Possession doesn't mean he is effective... from all the games I've seen, he skates around the outside of the zone with the puck and then forces a bad play, probably wasting 20 seconds every time, but his possession numbers are going up.

His xGF% is 42%... you'd think with all this possession he'd generate something and not get much generated against him... turns out that is not the case.
It would probably help if the entire Montreal offensive wouldn’t be a complete blackhole right now.

May I suggest you look at his teammates xGF% when he’s on the ice versus when he isn’t? I already know the stats but I’ll let you look it up and it’ll give you all the answer you’re looking for.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
It would probably help if the entire Montreal offensive wouldn’t be a complete blackhole right now.

May I suggest you look at his teammates xGF% when he’s on the ice versus when he isn’t? I already know the stats but I’ll let you look it up and it’ll give you all the answer you’re looking for.

His possession numbers are so high... why would this matter as much? The argument is that he always has the puck, yet somehow has a terrible xGF%... almost like he does nothing when he has the puck.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Lmao, he's a -2, with no points and 1 SOG in a 4-1 loss, and the Bell Centre gives him a pity 3rd star of the game:
1729217709040.png

This is getting out of control. Quite sad, actually.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
His possession numbers are so high... why would this matter as much? The argument is that he always has the puck, yet somehow has a terrible xGF%... almost like he does nothing when he has the puck.
“He always has the puck”

He actually had the puck for just under 4:30 with nearly 31 minutes of ice time. Try again.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
You can answer your own question by watching the game. He’s the #1 player in the league in average puck possession per game.

He’s been nothing short of amazing. It’s hard to say the same about Caufield, Slaf, Suzuki, Dach & Newhook so far this year. They have been worrisome to say the least.
“He always has the puck”

He actually had the puck for just under 4:30 with nearly 31 minutes of ice time. Try again.

Argue with yourself then.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Yup, matches the eye test. Just a ton of head fakes and dipsy doodles on the perimeter that amount to nothing.

• Haha
Reactions: Frank Drebin

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Yup, matches the eye test. Just a ton of head fakes and dipsy doodles on the perimeter that amount to nothing.

I actually think he will be a really good player when he figures out how to attack the middle better and create something... but right now the hype is unreal for someone who skates into the corner and loses the puck.

There's not much to cheer for in Montreal, so I kind of understand it... a cap dump was their big acquisition this year and their other "superstar" players don't look like superstars.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
I actually think he will be a really good player when he figures out how to attack the middle better and create something... but right now the hype is unreal for someone who skates into the corner and loses the puck.
Not sure I’ve seen him do this even once lmao

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I watched him closely tonight. No doubt he is still raw but quite talented when he is given time and space with the puck on his stick. My issue is I don't see his game translating to playoff hockey in the slightest.

Defensively, I saw him badly exposed tonight guarding his net. Like guys skated right past him to the net. He doesn't have the size or strength to box guys out or even slow them down it seems, remains to be seen if he can develop this part.

Offensively, his vision reminds me a lot of Marner to be honest. I understand why Habs fans are excited, but I see a very raw kid who has some big flaws in his game. Yes I know he is 20, but his development is not complete by any means and if he doesn't develop further, he will never help them win

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
I watched him closely tonight. No doubt he is still raw but quite talented when he is given time and space with the puck on his stick. My issue is I don't see his game translating to playoff hockey in the slightest.

Defensively, I saw him badly exposed tonight guarding his net. Like guys skated right past him to the net. He doesn't have the size or strength to box guys out or even slow them down it seems, remains to be seen if he can develop this part.

Offensively, his vision reminds me a lot of Marner to be honest. I understand why Habs fans are excited, but I see a very raw kid who has some big flaws in his game. Yes I know he is 20, but his development is not complete by any means and if he doesn't develop further, he will never help them win
Bingo. Is he talented? Clearly. Is he an effective player? No.

• Haha
Reactions: Guy Larose

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Personally I think this rookie 5'9 offensive dman should hit like prime Shea Weber and have the defensive play of prime Nik Lidstrom.

If a player isn't the absolute best at every single thing they are trash.

My fridge should also be my stove, that way I wouldn't have to move my food at all.
Except he's not the best at anything besides head fakes / 60.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad