Confirmed Signing with Link: [LAK] F Quinton Byfield re-signs with the Kings (5 years, $6.25M AAV)

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
Terrible post? One plays the most valuable position in hockey.

Byfield is, and will be the better hockey player and he’s getting paid LESS. Get a map, you’re lost.
terrible. Byfield played as a winger the majority of the time in the nhl and he's not better. They are pretty much equal but Slaf is 2y younger and got more term. Get a map, you're lost. For the deal, good for LA for now but Byfield will get big money next contract

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
lol Montreal signs Slafkvoskiy for what they did and LA get Bygield at this steal who is the way better player. Great work by LA’s GM.

Yeah but that eats 0 UFA years (or maybe 1) doesn't it ? I believe more term would increase the AAV in this case wouldn't it ?

His 3 years after this will probably be towards 10+ if he lives up to expectations and considering the cap increase.

But I get that in LA's case it's good to keep competing with their current core. It's still can be a gamble to lose Byfield at 26.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
terrible. Byfield played as a winger the majority of the time in the nhl and he's not better. They are pretty much equal but Slaf is 2y younger and got more term. Get a map, you're lost. For the deal, good for LA for now but Byfield will get big money next contract
You’re entitled to your opinions. I disagree however. Byfield is better, plays the more important position and has the better contract.

Yeah but that eats 0 UFA years (or maybe 1) doesn't it ? I believe more term would increase the AAV in this case wouldn't it ?

His 3 years after this will probably be towards 10+ if he lives up to expectations and considering the cap increase.

But I get that in LA's case it's good to keep competing with their current core. It's still can be a gamble to lose Byfield at 26.
you’re probably correct, and it’s a good point, that being said LA gets to reep the benefits in the next 5 years. If Byfield is commanding that much when this contract expires, it’s a fantastic problem to have.

Reactions: Kingsfan1

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
We actually have 4 million in cap space with only Spence to go . Thats with Turcotte , Thomas and Clarke up and Burroughs or any dman for that matter sent down

I wonder if we will add someone now , possibly Sprong ? Or maybe a trade with some salary retention

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

It would. Any non troll can understand this very simple concept. The terms also make sense for both a team looking to compete vs one that has a longer horizon as it's rebuilding.

Reactions: HabsQC

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Good deal for LA. As an Oilers fan I’ve gotten to watch him play a fair amount over the last few seasons, he’s made noticeable strides.

This contract will age well for the Kings if Byfield continues his growth. Only downside is it takes him right to UFA at the end, but it is what it is and “only” being a 5 year term isn’t the end of the world.

Reactions: Kingsfan1

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
I think this technically buys 1 UFA year as he would need 7 seasons to reach UFA and on this contract expiry he's at 8 seasons.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
From Byfield's POV, going to 8 years takes him to age 30. Unless he got a really good deal, this or 6 years is about right for the player. That still ensures 1 more shot at a big contract. As a bigger guy, never know how you will age. I think Benn signed his 8 year deal which began at 28 for him. His 2nd year of that deal, he dropped from 79 to 53 points.

Well said . And all indications are Byfield seems to really love LA and wants to be THE guy so he also really cares to keep improving. Cant wait to see his progression and i have little to no worry we will resign Byfield before he even hits UFA . By that time many players contracts will be up too and we will have ample cap space to give him a blank check if he develops into a lesser Malkin(in his prime) lite player.

This also allows us to add another player whether its via a free agency signing or trade . We have 3.875 million in cap space with only Spence left to sign and i dont see him getting more than 1.5-2 million maxxxxx .

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
He was truly awful in his first couple seasons. He broke out a bit last year but still only 20 goals. He has 28 goals in 180 nhl games. Pretty horrendous. That said, maybe he breaks out a ton more to be worth the contract.

Reactions: MCB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad