Weekes: Askarov has informed the Predators he will not report to AHL team, asks for trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It is somewhat similar to the Broberg situation in that the player is disgruntled after the team shuts the door on any chance at advancing, realistically.

Just trade him, like I wish the Oilers did with Broberg. He likely would return something that Nashville could really use. What's the use of a top prospect goalie when you don't need a starter?

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Askarov’s goalie coach back in Russia is now the Canucks goalie coach as of today. With the Demko uncertainty, I could totally see us being interested in Askarov if the price makes sense.
What price do you think makes sense? Don't say Silovs +

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Silovs and a 1st most likely as base.
I just don't see how trading for another goalie prospect who has zero chance at being a starter in Nashville makes sense from thier point of view. If they're going to move him they'll likely want to address another position

Reactions: Rob Brown

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Phrased that way, you're right. But you never know if a team overpays because they know how good Askarov can be and just to get the deal done. It's up to Trotz to start a bidding war but he botched this after signing Saros
I guess you could anecdotally find support for that (just like how some say St. Louis overpaid because they saw Broberg and Holloway's value), but just like what St. Louis did, that's more out of the blue and an exception more than the norm, so I don't think it's prudent to hitch your argument point wagon to the unlikely (another team overpaying), even if it has happened before, and especially less likely now given how, as you said, they locked up Saros and Yaro now wants out.

Without the trade request I could easily see him getting a 1st+, or he may have been the goalie equivalent of Cutter Gauthier, getting another young impact piece in return, but his request certainly weakens Trotz's leverage in any negotiation.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
He’s kind of pigeon holed himself by saying this because there are limited teams that can guarantee him an nhl spot.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
It is somewhat similar to the Broberg situation in that the player is disgruntled after the team shuts the door on any chance at advancing, realistically.

Just trade him, like I wish the Oilers did with Broberg. He likely would return something that Nashville could really use. What's the use of a top prospect goalie when you don't need a starter?
Like the Broberg situation but nothing like the Broberg situation.

Askarov is blocked by a goaltender who just signed an 8 year contract

Broberg was blocked by……..his own ability?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Like the Broberg situation but nothing like the Broberg situation.

Askarov is blocked by a goaltender who just signed an 8 year contract

Broberg was blocked by……..his own ability?

Askarov was really blocked by the Preds signing Wedgewood for 2 years this past July. Askarov is 22 and would you agree he is NHL ready as a back-up to start?

Look Up

Let me tell you about my Celica again
Oct 3, 2013
Normally I don't like this kind of things form players, but in his case it makes sense. He will never be a starter in Nashville, the Preds made sure of that. So if ever wants to accomplish anything in his NHL career it will have to be somewhere else, so why wait to make the change? I could see a strong market for him, so the Preds should hope for a decent return.
Agree on this. No reason to wait as the situation will not change. How soon is now to ask for the trade?

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Askarov was really blocked by the Preds signing Wedgewood for 2 years this past July. Askarov is 22 and would you agree he is NHL ready as a back-up to start?
Wedgewood signed or not, Askarov still has no clear path as a NHL starter with that Saros contract. He’s shown enough to get at minimum a good look as a backup in the NHL

Reactions: vtdevils2k

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Wedgewood signed or not, Askarov still has no clear path as a NHL starter with that Saros contract. He’s shown enough to get at minimum a good look as a backup in the NHL
I just don't get this thinking. Askarov can do whatever he wants, but his path to being a starter isn't blocked because of Saros's contract. Askarov would have had to beat Saros out for the starter position this season anyway, and Saros isn't locked into being the starter by his contract. Askarov is really jumping the gun. He hasn't competed for a job yet, much less clearly won a job that the team just refuses to give him.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I just don't get this thinking. Askarov can do whatever he wants, but his path to being a starter isn't blocked because of Saros's contract. Askarov would have had to beat Saros out for the starter position this season anyway, and Saros isn't locked into being the starter by his contract. Askarov is really jumping the gun. He hasn't competed for a job yet, much less clearly won a job that the team just refuses to give him.
Saros is a top 10 goalie in the league whom just signed on for 8 years. The odds of Askarov beating him out is marginally thin. It’s perfect timing for him to go somewhere else and show he can be a starter, Nashville essentially tied their future to Saros

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
I can think of 61.92 million reasons Saros is locked into being the starter for the foreseeable future

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017

Not really. Wedgewoods contract could easily be buried if he did clear waivers in a crazy scenario where Askarov reports to camp and shows marked improvement enough to be the backup

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Saros is a top 10 goalie in the league whom just signed on for 8 years. The odds of Askarov beating him out is marginally thin. It’s perfect timing for him to go somewhere else and show he can be a starter, Nashville essentially tied their future to Saros
He hasn't made the team as a backup yet. The chances Saros is the starter for 8 years is also somewhat thin. I get his frustration, but his timing isn't that great. Maybe he should play a couple years in the NHL before starting to bitch about a starting job?

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
He hasn't made the team as a backup yet. The chances Saros is the starter for 8 years is also somewhat thin. I get his frustration, but his timing isn't that great. Maybe he should play a couple years in the NHL before starting to bitch about a starting job?
Goalies don’t aspire to be career backups, he has every right to want a chance at a starting gig. Something that he has no clear path to with Nashville.

Think of it this way, your co-worker just signed an 8 year contract for a job you want. Do you stay that 8 years and hope by chance you can get that job from him? Or do you pursue a different company that might get you that job in the next 1-4 years

Last edited:

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Goalies don’t aspire to be career backups, he has every right to want a chance at a starting gig. Something that he has no clear path to with Nashville
Just because he has the right doesn't mean his strategy is good. I'm not sure anyone is contesting his right to try to find what he feels is a better opportunity, but to blame it on being roadblocked when he hasn't even gotten to an actual roadblock yet is kind of silly.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Goalies don’t aspire to be career backups, he has every right to want a chance at a starting gig. Something that he has no clear path to with Nashville
Nobody said anything about him being a career backup. He's barely even played an NHL game. In 8 years, I'm sure Saros will get injured and/or suck enough for a young top-prospect to be given a shot. In fact, that's exactly how Saros got his spot. Became backup to Rinne soon after he signed a monster contract.

Again, I totally get being frustrated by the decision, but he's not doing himself any favors holding out before even playing 5 NHL games.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Just because he has the right doesn't mean his strategy is good. I'm not sure anyone is contesting his right to try to find what he feels is a better opportunity, but to blame it on being roadblocked when he hasn't even gotten to an actual roadblock yet is kind of silly.
Those signings, however, blocked Yaroslav Askarov's path to the Predators roster for this season. The promising 22-year-old netminder seemed slated to spend a third season with their AHL affiliate in Milwaukee.

By every definition his path has been blocked to the NHL, outside of potential injury call ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad