Weekes: Askarov has informed the Predators he will not report to AHL team, asks for trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
That's the wrong way to look at things. He's not blocked because Scott Wedgewood is ahead of him on the depth chart. He's blocked because he's not good enough yet. Which then forced the Preds to sign Scott Wedgewood. The Preds would have much preferred to not have to sign Wedgewood. But Askarov's unreadiness forced their hand.

The Preds have been watching Askarov very closely since they drafted him, watched him again implode in the AHL playoffs last season. They know he's not ready. They wanted to fix that and make sure he made the necessary improvements to be ready in the future. So they brought in Wedgewood so that Askarov could play more games in the AHL, brought in Mitch Korn to tutor him, planned to dedicate another year in Milwaukee to invest in making him ready. He wasn't "blocked". He just needs more time to develop.

As soon as he's good enough, he'll be the Preds' backup. Then as soon as he's better than Saros (if that happened before an Expansion draft/UFA opportunity), he'd be the Preds' starter. Don't forget, the Preds actually do want to win hockey games!
Nashville also already has a top goalie. It’s in Nashvilles best interest to keep him in the AHL for as long as they can to keep his future contract down.

Nashville keeping him in the AHL this year VS. letting him be the NHL backup is a good strategy to keep your assets cost controlled. If he excelled at the backup position this year he’s likely going to make more that Wedgewood, if he spends another year in the AHL than Nashville can get him on a cheaper contract

It’s really hard to fault Askarov when he’s making the right decision.

Reactions: gab6511

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
You dont have to complain when you are being groomed as a replacement. You wait your two years as backup and then start taking over. Askarov will never be groomed as a replacement in Nashville. In 4 years, saros will only be 3 years into his 8 year deal and will still be a starting goalie. These are not comparable situations.
Saros played multiple years in the AHL and was even sent back down after starting a season in the NHL where he was expected to start as a backup. He then started to backup Rinne and eventually started taking more starts even though Rinne was signed to a huge deal. Why can't Askarov prove himself in the AHL (he hasn't done that yet) and take a similar path where he's eventually taking starts when he is ready? It's absolutely comparable.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
This. Askarov is essentially the 3rd wheel. Even if he outplays Wedgewood he a still likely going to get sent down simply because it’s easier to bury him for another year.
That's also the wrong way to look at it. He's not going to be sent down simply because "it's easier to bury him". He's going to be sent down because in the expert opinion of Nashville's hockey operations group he simply isn't ready for full-time NHL action yet. They are trying to maximize the return on their #11 overall draft pick investment.

Arguably, I do think that even with all the holes in Askarov's game, he might be just about as good as Wedgewood today, given that Wedgewood isn't all that good. The problem with that, if you use Askarov instead of Wedgewood in the NHL, it potentially limits Askarov's ability to develop to maximize his potential. If he only starts 15 or 20 games and gets picked apart by NHL shooters, does that help him turn into a better goalie in the long run? The Preds believe that it will be better for his longterm upside if he instead plays 50-60 games in the AHL, starts for them and goes on a long playoff run, and continues to focus primarily on refining his technique and fixing the flaws in his game. That's what is going to make him a better player in the long run, that's what's going to maximize the Preds' return on their investment, and it's also what's going to give Askarov himself his best chance at one day being an NHL starting goalie (whether in Nashville or someplace else).

Reactions: HabzSauce

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Saros played multiple years in the AHL and was even sent back down after starting a season in the NHL where he was expected to start as a backup. He then started to backup Rinne and eventually started taking more starts even though Rinne was signed to a huge deal. Why can't Askarov prove himself in the AHL (he hasn't done that yet) and take a similar path where he's eventually taking starts when he is ready? It's absolutely comparable.
Saros played a total of 62 AHL games across 3 seasons. Then he had to compete with fellow young inexperienced goalie Marek Mazenec for the backup role in 16-17. Mazenec had a total of 27 NHL games experience going into the season and pretty pedestrian stats. Saros without a doubt had an easier progression path as well as a clear path to becoming a starter with the team

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
30-13-1
2nd best gaa among goalies with 40+ games played

26-16-5
6th best gaa among goalies with 40+ games played

He’s done well in the AHL, he’s substantially done better than Silovs whom after two seasons is now an NHL backup

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
the most intriguing thing to me here is what does Nashville want back. Do they want futures or guys who can play now. I would think it is the ladder as you don't sign the guys they did and then dela for futures.
Do they want Center, Wing or D? Nashville is fascinating to me.

On Puckpedia they do not have a ton of room and still have to sign two RFAs. Still if it is D I wonder if Gavrikov would be of interest.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
the most intriguing thing to me here is what does Nashville want back. Do they want futures or guys who can play now. I would think it is the ladder as you don't sign the guys they did and then dela for futures.
Do they want Center, Wing or D? Nashville is fascinating to me.

On Puckpedia they do not have a ton of room and still have to sign two RFAs. Still if it is D I wonder if Gavrikov would be of interest.
Think it was said that trotz wanted either a current young roster player or an A prospect. Not sure what positions he is looking for but organizational weakness is definitely C and RHD.

Reactions: YP44

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Unless he has been told he won't be playing in the NHL this season, that's just paranoid thinking. There's really no other reason to think team management would put him in the AHL even if his play in camp shows him to clearly be the better option at back up. Don't you think the Predators would be happy to have the problem of needing to find something to do with Wedgewood and not have to trade away or further disgruntle a prospect with Askarov's potential? Without the team telling him he is definitely going to be in the AHL before camp even starts, I would consider this possibility to be included in a lack of self-confidence in ability.

I think it's entirely reasonable for Askarov to think the Preds would be perfectly fine upsetting him further, given that he already has reason to believe there's no path to the starting job for the next several years. That's got nothing to do with self-confidence, and everything to do with his opinion of Preds management. They've shown that they intend for Saros to be the starter for quite some time; how long is, of course, up in the air, but there is such a thing as a sunk cost fallacy, and the Preds absolutely will subconsciously want to get their money's worth out of a guy making $7.7M through 2033. It's a lot less painful getting less than full value out of the guy on an ELC or bridge deal.

If anything, I see things the opposite of the way you're looking at it; if he didn't think he had the ability to be an NHL player, why would he be so adamant about not being sent down? His reactions are those of someone who is offended by the team cutting him off from opportunities, not of someone who doesn't believe himself worthy of those opportunities.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
That's also the wrong way to look at it. He's not going to be sent down simply because "it's easier to bury him". He's going to be sent down because in the expert opinion of Nashville's hockey operations group he simply isn't ready for full-time NHL action yet. They are trying to maximize the return on their #11 overall draft pick investment.

Arguably, I do think that even with all the holes in Askarov's game, he might be just about as good as Wedgewood today, given that Wedgewood isn't all that good. The problem with that, if you use Askarov instead of Wedgewood in the NHL, it potentially limits Askarov's ability to develop to maximize his potential. If he only starts 15 or 20 games and gets picked apart by NHL shooters, does that help him turn into a better goalie in the long run? The Preds believe that it will be better for his longterm upside if he instead plays 50-60 games in the AHL, starts for them and goes on a long playoff run, and continues to focus primarily on refining his technique and fixing the flaws in his game. That's what is going to make him a better player in the long run, that's what's going to maximize the Preds' return on their investment, and it's also what's going to give Askarov himself his best chance at one day being an NHL starting goalie (whether in Nashville or someplace else).
It’s not the wrong way to look at it, it’s simple. You send down the guy you can bury the easiest without hurting the team. Askarov is the easiest to bury because he doesn’t have to go through waivers.

Askarov is already a top goalie in the AHL, he would play less in the NHL but he would be exposed to better training and play against real competition. You don’t get better by constantly playing against inferior competition that isn’t challenging

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
I think it's entirely reasonable for Askarov to think the Preds would be perfectly fine upsetting him further, given that he already has reason to believe there's no path to the starting job for the next several years. That's got nothing to do with self-confidence, and everything to do with his opinion of Preds management. They've shown that they intend for Saros to be the starter for quite some time; how long is, of course, up in the air, but there is such a thing as a sunk cost fallacy, and the Preds absolutely will subconsciously want to get their money's worth out of a guy making $7.7M through 2033. It's a lot less painful getting less than full value out of the guy on an ELC or bridge deal.

If anything, I see things the opposite of the way you're looking at it; if he didn't think he had the ability to be an NHL player, why would he be so adamant about not being sent down? His reactions are those of someone who is offended by the team cutting him off from opportunities, not of someone who doesn't believe himself worthy of those opportunities.
I allowed for this possibility in my posts.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Just because he has the right doesn't mean his strategy is good. I'm not sure anyone is contesting his right to try to find what he feels is a better opportunity, but to blame it on being roadblocked when he hasn't even gotten to an actual roadblock yet is kind of silly.
normally you try and avoid roadblocks before they happen or if you’ve identified one.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
Imo he should just play out his contract and if he isn’t dealt by free agent day 2025, sign in the KHL where he can be a starter and make more money. That way, the Preds can’t toll his contract.
Yea he should have toughed out one more year imho

We are making assumptions on what Askarov is upset about I feel like. If he is upset about the Saros contract than yea there was no salvaging this situation.

If it is about the Wedgewood deal maybe its salvageable. I really get him feeling like he could backup and make NHL money. I get the Preds think he would develop better in the AHL or the benefits to delaying his start in the NHL.

But yea this year wasn't the year to cause a stink. Someone would sign him to like a $4.5 million RFA contract like Broberg on his potential next year and then either Nashville pays up or they have to let him advance his career elsewhere. But this year he will have limited options on where he can go if he refuses to report. He could have quietly asked for a trade but still reported to the AHL and just did what he wanted next summer.

jackp0t

Jun 7, 2009
iple years in the AHL and was even sent back down after starting a season in the NHL where he was expected to start as a backup. He then started to backup Rinne and eventually started taking more starts even though Rinne was signed to a huge deal. Why can't Askarov prove himself in the AHL (he hasn't done that yet) and take a similar path where he's eventually taking starts when he is ready? It's absolutely comparable.

Not true. He was sent down so he could stay active and get some starts. He was alwasy the back-up for Rinne in 2016-2017 and 2017-2018.

Anders Lindback was being recall to just sit on the bench behind Rinne so that Saros could get start in the AHL. In fact never played a single minute in the NHL that year.

Reactions: herzausstein

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Not true. He was sent down so he could stay active and get some starts. He was alwasy the back-up for Rinne in 2016-2017 and 2017-2018.

Anders Lindback was being recall to just sit on the bench behind Rinne so that Saros could get start in the AHL. In fact never played a single minute in the NHL that year.
He actually bounced back-and-forth a few times that season and wasn't all that great until a couple months into the season.

jackp0t

Jun 7, 2009
You cant argue that he wasnt the back-up in those 2 years. He got 47 games and all other goalies combined not named Rinne played 4 games.

2 things can be true at once. Yes Askarov should prove himself more in the AHL, and yes the Saros situation was completely different.

Saros was a back-up in the NHL at 22 years old and a starter at 26.

The path for Askarov right now is back-up at 24 and starter at 31.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Saros was once a promising young netminder when Rinne signed his huge deal too. Saying by every definition his path to the NHL is blocked is completely false and Saros proved that.
He actually wasn’t. Saros was drafted in 2013 after Rinne had signed his 7 year deal that ran from 2012-2019.

Feb 19, 2018
Well how about Hoglander as a base. 24 goals last year with low minutes and is still young making $1.1 million. Maybe Vancouver adds Poolman and their 1st for Fabbro in a package.

NSH: Hoglander, Van 1st in 25, Poolman
VAN: Askarov, Fabbro

Nashville uses Poolman for LTIR and Van replaces the LTIR money with Fabbro.

The 1st and Hoglander for Askarov and Poolmans negative value.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Well how about Hoglander as a base. 24 goals last year with low minutes and is still young making $1.1 million. Maybe Vancouver adds Poolman and their 1st for Fabbro in a package.

NSH: Hoglander, Van 1st in 25, Poolman
VAN: Askarov, Fabbro

Nashville uses Poolman for LTIR and Van replaces the LTIR money with Fabbro.

The 1st and Hoglander for Askarov and Poolmans negative value.
I don't think Hoglander would be the "ideal" return. As mentioned above, a C or RD would be organizational preferences. The Preds don't have the depth to move Fabbro out of an RD spot right now, so he can't go out without a replacement coming back.

It's ok value-wise, but I think the Preds would take a bigger C prospect such as has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread (e.g. Bystedt) before a smaller winger.
:dunno:

It’s not the wrong way to look at it, it’s simple. You send down the guy you can bury the easiest without hurting the team. Askarov is the easiest to bury because he doesn’t have to go through waivers.

Askarov is already a top goalie in the AHL, he would play less in the NHL but he would be exposed to better training and play against real competition. You don’t get better by constantly playing against inferior competition that isn’t challenging
I just feel like you're not sufficiently aware of how many flaws there are in Askarov's game. He needs the work in the AHL. Barry Trotz and I agree on that. You and Askarov don't. I guess there is no overcoming that. Therefore, Barry and I would be happy to oblige your belief and trade Askarov... if we can get the right return. If we can't, you guys are just going to have to sit and wait until we can. :sarcasm:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
You have a goalie signed for 8 years and you have another signed for 2 years. Even if he out performed Wedgwood the odds of him being in the AHL are high simply based on the players ahead of him. Now if Wedgwood signed a 2-way contract, it would be a little different
What does a 2 way contract have to do with anything? More or less all of wedgewoods salary can be buried in the minors.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Would Hoglander and a 1st get the deal done? Too much, or not enough?
I actually think Hoglander would fit our system really well. I'd take that deal if something else doesn't come along. We are crowded at wing at the moment, but things tend to clear up on their own a lot of the time.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
What does a 2 way contract have to do with anything? More or less all of wedgewoods salary can be buried in the minors.
Yeah, if it came right down to it and there was some demonstrated evidence that Askarov was going to provide the Predators with more wins next season, they wouldn't bat an eyelid at waiving Wedgewood, that's for sure. Wedgewood is no special prize.

Ways in which that evidence might arise would probably hinge on an injury scenario, however. Unless Wedgewood just stinks out the joint and can't buy a win in relief and can't stop a beachball. If that had happened and Askarov was in Milwaukee, they would certainly have called him up and punted Wedgewood on waivers. Or in the event of an injury to Wedgewood or Saros, Askarov would come up, and if he ran with the ball and helped the team win games, he'd stay up. They aren't going to keep Wedgewood at the expense of points in the standings.

It's just that these scenarios are more likely to start off with Askarov in the minors, because training camp is short and it's less likely Saros or Wedgewood get hurt in camp, or that Askarov could do enough in a short timeframe to overcome the more compelling body of evidence from last season which indicated he needs more time developing in the minors. His opportunity to put new data on the table requires him to play more games. Which he won't be doing if he is suspended.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Gonna be hard for Trotz to get good value for him, given that goalies usually get traded for less, and the narrowed timeline until the season starts..

Gotta feel like the Leafs, Hurricanes, Avs should be in on this..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad