Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman III- still nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Rask 26. Swayman 25. Both thought of as the future

Most starts in a season. Rask 39. Swayman 43

Rask Vezina placing 5, Swayman 7

Rask 3.5 mil one year deal was his deal before, Swayman 3,475.000 last year

Rask 67 career wins. Swayman 79
Rask 126 starts. Swayman 125 starts

Rask out of this world two rounds in the playoffs , Swayman 1

Rask played on a team that won the Stanley cup 2 springs earlier

Swayman played on a team that was a 7 seed 2 springs earlier

seems like a no brainer to give him the same type deal no? Especially considering Rask played on a serious cup contender and Swayman played on the “infamous HF bridge year”

- Rask started the majority of the games as the #1 starter ( strike shortened season ). Swayman has not had the reigns as the #1 guy just yet

- Rask's 4th contract was his big one while Swayman is looking for his big payday in his 3rd. And this is probably where the point of contention is - Bruins want to see at least one year where he's the main guy and not part of a platoon and the main reason why I don't see these as comparable. I don't know how far back agents use contracts to drive home their points but it would seem to me going back 12 years seems like reaching.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Using the 2013 season as a starter is a but disingenuous. It was a shortened season where his starter load was only 34 games (out of 48), same as Swayman's load.

Rask had a 5th place finish and Swayman has a 7th, the difference is a handful of votes at that point.

How is it disingenuous? He was the #1 guy and started 71 percent of the available games. It being a 48 game season vs 82 game season looked like it was irrelevant in negotiations - either the agent convinced the Bruins or the Bruins had seen enough to think Rask could handle being the #1 guy. Rask's signing happened in early July as well, so it looks like there wasn't much convincing that needed to be done. Swayman has never had to work 71 percent of the workload.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
- Rask started the majority of the games as the #1 starter ( strike shortened season ). Swayman has not had the reigns as the #1 guy just yet

- Rask's 4th contract was his big one while Swayman is looking for his big payday in his 3rd. And this is probably where the point of contention is - Bruins want to see at least one year where he's the main guy and not part of a platoon and the main reason why I don't see these as comparable. I don't know how far back agents use contracts to drive home their points but it would seem to me going back 12 years seems like reaching.
Rasks third contract was more than Swayman got paid last year and that was ten years ago

Bruins bet on Swayman being the guy when they traded Ullmark. They should have chosen two years in arbitration if they wanted to see him carry they load but they obviously know he would have played out next year and left

Swayman is and can be the guy and they know it they just want to pay him what they want to pay him

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Rasks third contract was more than Swayman got paid last year and that was ten years ago

Bruins bet on Swayman being the guy when they traded Ullmark. They should have chosen two years in arbitration if they wanted to see him carry they load but they obviously know he would have played out next year and left

Swayman is and can be the guy and they know it they just want to pay him what they want to pay him

Rask signed that bridge contract with the intention he would be the #1 starter, seeing as Khudobin was inexperienced and unknown what he could do in the NHL at that point.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle

I don't disagree, but this is an argument for a short term 3rd deal, possibly 2 seasons. Then, I factor in the expected pay rate increase due to building additional value by playing well and by inflation of th cap. It seems clear that we are going to be near 12 million to sign this guy as a FA. I believe signing the long-term deal now, is the best value long term even at 8.5-9.5.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I don't disagree, but this is an argument for a short term 3rd deal, possibly 2 seasons. Then, I factor in the expected pay rate increase due to building additional value by playing well and by inflation of th cap. It seems clear that we are going to be near 12 million to sign this guy as a FA. I believe signing the long-term deal now, is the best value long term even at 8.5-9.5.

12 million... AAV?

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
How is it disingenuous? He was the #1 guy and started 71 percent of the available games. It being a 48 game season vs 82 game season looked like it was irrelevant in negotiations - either the agent convinced the Bruins or the Bruins had seen enough to think Rask could handle being the #1 guy. Rask's signing happened in early July as well, so it looks like there wasn't much convincing that needed to be done. Swayman has never had to work 71 percent of the workload.
IIRC, Rask also played 45 games in 2010. I think that's the year the Bruins upset Buffalo in the first round. Miro the hero?

And in 2013 Rask carried the Bruins to a Cup Final, posting an identical save percent as Tim Thomas (.940). So he had an upset series win and a Cup Final run under his belt when he signed his big deal in July. Rask was probably the comp Vasilevsky used for his deal.

Last edited:

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Pastrnak and McAvoy had much more NHL experience when they signed their big contract. Maybe some teams will put out the big money with limited experience but that is not in the Bruins DNA.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Pastrnak and McAvoy had much more NHL experience when they signed their big contract. Maybe some teams will put out the big money with limited experience but that is not in the Bruins DNA.

Pastrnak and McAvoy both played 3 season before they 4x or more their salary.

If the bruins were going to take the same route with swayman they should have given him a deal last year before swayman took them to arbitration

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Of course they had more games being a defenseman and forward since they play every game which a goalie does not. But the experience level is relatively the same.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Pastrnak and McAvoy both played 3 season before they 4x or more their salary.

If the bruins were going to take the same route with swayman they should have given him a deal last year before swayman took them to arbitration
That would of been a smart move.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Are we still clinging to the belief that Sway should sign for $6.5 x 4? :biglaugh:
Give us your number he signs at, just curious.

My guess is he would have signed already if it was going to be that low. I personally think that's in the ballpark. I say it will come in below the 8M mark per

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010

My guess is he would have signed already if it was going to be that low. I personally think that's in the ballpark. I say it will come in below the 8M mark per
8x9 or 2x7. The two year would have to come with a full NMC

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
It cannot, per the CBA. The 8 year contract could have 6 years worth of NMC clauses, but not the first two. Neither of the two year seasons would be eligible.
Yep.

And any GM except maybe Grier (now that Chuck Fletcher is no longer a GM) would know to either give a 1 year or at least 4. A two year deal is a disaster.

Reactions: BlackFrancis

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

I'd be fine with an 8-8.5 x 4 if they could get that kind of deal done. It doesn't look like that's possible given the rumors of their low offers and his higher ask.

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad