Confirmed Signing with Link: [LAK] Cal Petersen signs extension with the Kings (3 years, $5M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He had the 2nd-worst Corsi on defense, worse than even Maatta and behind only MacDermid. It's not hard to see why: his usage changed. In his first full season, the one that everyone was gushing about and that earned him his new contract, he was sheltered and started shifts predominantly in the offensive zone. That helped his Corsi and +/- to shine, earning him praise as a defensive rock. With mostly defensive zone starts this past season, his Corsi cratered and his +/- took a huge hit, as well. It's a reminder to not get carried away with praise and reward a player for one good season..

Nope.

Before his injury he had the 2nd best stats on defense despite all those hard minutes, a continuation of his previous year.

Look up his symptoms after getting his face caved in and you'll see exactly why the comeback was so slow.

Really bad example to use as a cautionary tale and you're only helping make my point that the reaction to the Petersen signing being similar to the reaction about the Roy signing has roots in the same lack of context/Kings knowledge.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Same thing happened years ago when Kings fans wouldn't stop yammering about this kid Doughty. We found out.
I don’t see similarities at all. Doughty was a highly touted 2nd OA pick and the Kings made the playoffs a year after he arrived. Not remotely similar.

Reactions: Calypso

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles
WTF.

Either this is going to be a steal of a contract after he establishes himself as our true #1 and we wish we got more term, or its going to backfire HARD if he sinks and we just wasted a bunch of cap space.

There will be no in between.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Nope.

Before his injury he had the 2nd best stats on defense despite all those hard minutes, a continuation of his previous year.

Look up his symptoms after getting his face caved in and you'll see exactly why the comeback was so slow.

Really bad example to use as a cautionary tale and you're only helping make my point that the reaction to the Petersen signing being similar to the reaction about the Roy signing has roots in the same lack of context/Kings knowledge.

You're right that his Corsi was 2nd-best in the 8 games before injury, but look up his first 8 games after returning. His Corsi was 3rd-best and at 52%, so the injury didn't have much impact. Also, his final 8 games of the season were his worst, with a pathetic 37% Corsi. There was no "slow comeback." He steadily got worse as the season went on. Using his injury as an excuse doesn't make sense. A possible explanation is that competition ramped up as the season went on and teams fought to make the playoffs and Roy wasn't able to keep up. It happens. It also may help explain why Edler was signed, to take some of that defensive burden off of Roy.

Last edited:

bland

Jul 1, 2004
He had the 2nd-worst Corsi on defense, worse than even Maatta and behind only MacDermid. It's not hard to see why: his usage changed. In his first full season, the one that everyone was gushing about and that earned him his new contract, he was sheltered and started shifts predominantly in the offensive zone. That helped his Corsi and +/- to shine, earning him praise as a defensive rock. With mostly defensive zone starts this past season, his Corsi cratered and his +/- took a huge hit, as well. It's a reminder to not get carried away with praise and reward a player for one good season.

I don't really disagree with that. It think that it's an overpayment, but paying for potential always is and at least it's only 3 years. Now, Petersen needs to reach that potential. If he does, it'll be a fair deal.

Sorry, but that is yet another reason why statistics are completely useless. Roy's usage didn't change one damn bit from the last 2/3rds of 19-20 onward. Of course rookie defenders start out with sheltered situational minutes, but he outgrew that before Christmas to the point that he was clearly the team's best defenseman of the season.

You cannot use nonsensical numbers like Corsi to gauge the effectiveness of a defensive defenseman when the team in front of him has a ridiculously poor forecheck and cannot sustain enough pressure to warrant offensive zone starts for each pairing. The Kings generated so few offensive opportunities that they were routinely given to Doughty's pairing to try and capitalize on his ability - Roy was babysitting Bjornfot and they weren't protected one bit.

He started last year well before his concussion, came back into a situation where the team paired him with a rookie defender - because Roy was heavily relied upon - and he spent several weeks working his way back from an admittedly timid recovery to catching Covid and missing an additional period of time.

Matt Roy is a second pairing defender on any team in the league, and an argument that says "but advanced stats" without even the shallowest attempt at nuance just doesn't hold water.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
11 million in cap on goalies next year...something has to give. Cal better play like a #1 this year or it gets ugly before the contract even kicks in.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Same thing happened years ago when Kings fans wouldn't stop yammering about this kid Doughty. We found out.

What are you suggesting about the former Norris Trophy winning dman who has two Olympic medals, two Cup rings, and consistently leads the league in ice time every year? He may not be the player that he once was, but he’s still a dman many teams would kill to have.

Similar goaltenders signed for the same AAV (or more) as Petersen, and this thread shows how little most posters are of the quality of goaltender that he is.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Roy's usage didn't change one damn bit from the last 2/3rds of 19-20 onward.

Your argument actually supports that it did. You mentioned more than once that he went from being a rookie in 19-20 to babysitting one in 20-21, so you acknowledge that his role changed and that he wasn't held back solely by injury.
Matt Roy is a second pairing defender on any team in the league, and an argument that says "but advanced stats" without even the shallowest attempt at nuance just doesn't hold water.

I didn't argue otherwise, but saying that as if it's a fact and regardless of what stats (actual facts) might suggest is an argument that doesn't hold much water, either.

Last edited:

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
I glanced at the headline quickly and thought it said Petterson (as in Elias) and spat out my coffee. The high was short lived when I realized that I made a mistake.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Salary is pretty much in line with similar guys:

Shesterkin - $5.6M, 25 years old: .921, 2.55, 47gp
Sorokin - $4M, 26 years old: .918, 2.17, 22gp
Demko - $5M, 25 years old: .911, 2.93, 72gp
Saros - $5M, 26 years old: .920, 2.50, 155gp
Ullmark - $5M, 28 years old: .912, 2.78, 117gp
Petersen - $5M, 26 years old: .916, 2.79, 54gp

That Sorokin contract could look really good if he keeps it up.

Copied from our forum.

Really not that crazy/out of line, you would think reading this thread we pulled our emergency goalie off the street and slapped him with a long term with an NTC.

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
Clearly nobody in this thread has seen him play. He's easily worth $5m. He's been very consistent on a very bad team
I put up a matt Roy versus Ethan Bear poll last year and Bear got 95% of the vote. Hf is not as knowledgeable about hockey as one would think

Reactions: Lt Dan

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
That’s the going rate for up and coming goaltenders. I don’t think realistically you’re looking at anything cheaper.

It’s not like LA Kings are in imminent cap troubles either, and the timeline lines up with Quick’s contract coming off staggered too.

A+ signing IMO, he looks good on a bottom third team. I like the term, AAV may seem a bit high but again, you’re not signing him for anything less.

If Gus, D’accord or Hogberg played like him I’d happily give them 5x3… Same situation too, with Murray being the counterpart to Quick.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
WTF.

Either this is going to be a steal of a contract after he establishes himself as our true #1 and we wish we got more term, or its going to backfire HARD if he sinks and we just wasted a bunch of cap space.

There will be no in between.

You can say that virtually every goaltender contract given out. WY go more term anyway? Four/five years is plenty.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
Peterson has a career .916 save percentage and has pretty much supplanted Jonathan Quick for the Kings starting job.

5mil a year seem fair for a starting goalie coming into his prime.

Quick’s play has been trending down word for the last 3 seasons and probably won’t get any better with age above 35.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad