Confirmed Signing with Link: [LAK] Cal Petersen signs extension with the Kings (3 years, $5M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
Lot of people not paying any attention to the Kings, like usual.

It's a really good contract for a mid-tier #1 goalie.

He gets paid $1m this season, and $15m for the next three. $16m for four years of a bonafide #1 guy is a great deal. He'll be 30 when it's done.

You're not saddled with a horrific albatross of a contract, it's only prime years that are covered, he's a legit #1 guy, and if something better does come along, you're not stuck with a $50 million dollar goalie boat anchor.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
note how good he was at the world championships too.

Honestly could see him making a bid for the US Olympic team. not as a starter but in the mix

Reactions: Telos

2-4 Slashin

Tony Granato Fan!
Jul 25, 2005
South Pasadena
911 Save % 2.89 GAA on a horrible LA Kings team

from LAKings.com
Following the season, Petersen represented Team USA at the 2021 IIHF Men's World Championship in Riga, Latvia, where he backstopped the U.S. to a bronze medal while becoming just the fourth-ever U.S. player to earn Best Goaltender tournament honors. In seven games, Petersen posted a record of 5-2-0, a .953 save percentage, 1.29 goals-against-average and two shutouts to lead the tournament in both save percentage and goals-against-average, tie for first in shutouts, and rank second in minutes played (417:14). Petersen's performance in goal ranks among the best-ever by a U.S. netminder in IIHF Men's World Championship play as his goals-against-average ranks second in U.S. history and was the best effort by a U.S. goaltender since 1939.

We could have done much worse.

Reactions: Telos

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
While Cal has looked good to great at times at the NHL level, he's also looked pretty average at times in my limited viewings. Couple this with the fact that the most games he's ever started at any level is 41 games in the AHL a few seasons ago and I can definitely see why people are calling this an overpayment.

Good news is it's only for 3 years, so if he proves he can't handle a true starters workload it won't be an albatross for them to deal with.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Oblivion Beckons

Jan 20, 2021
Not a surprise for the AAV. These last two seasons we have seen the goalie market get a new floor for what a starting goalie is worth. You also have to consider that starting goalies aren't exactly in high supply.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Judging by the reaction in here, the notion that nobody outside of the west watches the Kings appears to hold firm.

Exact same reaction as the Matt Roy contract, lol. Love it.

Good deal for Kings and Cal...good fair money for the goalie, good term for the team, he should be a top 10-15 goalie for the duration if not better, and that's exactly where this cap number lands him.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Petersen's agent had them over a barrel. LA may have the best prospect pool in the league, but no promising goaltending prospects. They had no choice but to pay Cal what he wanted. The entire rebuild would've been in jeopardy if he had left for free agency a year from now. That doesn't excuse overpayment, but it explains it.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
A very good goalie but underrated. 5 mil a year is good goalie money not very good. Glad to see him get paid though.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I really like him and he was good last year, especially down the stretch.

I think he's going to impress some people this year with the Kings making improvements to their roster this offseason. Peterson should see less high danger chances against.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Judging by the reaction in here, the notion that nobody outside of the west watches the Kings appears to hold firm.

Everybody was in their own bubbles last season so it was more difficult than usual. There are plenty of people who simply don’t have time to watch a lot of games outside their own team, myself included. That’s just life.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Good for him but seems high. Probably doesnt matter for the Kings cap situation in the next 3 years though.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Petersen's agent had them over a barrel. LA may have the best prospect pool in the league, but no promising goaltending prospects. They had no choice but to pay Cal what he wanted. The entire rebuild would've been in jeopardy if he had left for free agency a year from now. That doesn't excuse overpayment, but it explains it.

If he had them over a barrel, he should have done better, especially with the Kings' infinite cap space. The point you raise is interesting, but I don't think having a blue chip prospect would have changed this outcome--remember that the Kings tried to get in on Wallsteadt but he would have been a few years off anyway, no?

I disagree that it's an overpayment but I can respect an argument that it is by a million or 1.5, it just really has no bearing on the Kings cap situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad