Value of: Laine to Montreal

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Problem with the 2 years is if it works, do we have cap space to re-sign? I guess it depends on the cost to acquire.
I think that'd be a good problem to have though. We can re-evaluate the roster at that time and make necessary moves if he does fit.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Problem with the 2 years is if it works, do we have cap space to re-sign? I guess it depends on the cost to acquire.
In two years we have a lot of money coming off the books. Armia/DVO/Savard/Evans and Dach will be up for renewal but with his injury history he won’t get top dollar. We should be in good shape. Just need to clear Anderson and Gally. That won’t be for four years I think?? Not sure

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
In two years we have a lot of money coming off the books. Armia/DVO/Savard/Evans and Dach will be up for renewal but with his injury history he won’t get top dollar. We should be in good shape. Just need to clear Anderson and Gally. That won’t be for four years I think?? Not sure

Dach, Slaf, Guhle, Newhook, and some others will need raises as well. Difficult to know what the cost is to acquire Laine and then it's difficult to project how he does with us for 2 years and then what contract he would want for us to offer him to stay. How all this lines up with others who need raises and a growing cap is something you would have to dig into a fair amount in terms of projections.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Depends on what Guhle and Dach get for extensions.... and how much the cap grows.

Armia, Savard, Dvorak clear up $11M. Gallagher and Anderson are 3 more years and from what I can tell (projecting our cap forward), I think we will be fine with our cap space (even with Laine).

Habs might have cap issues if our rebuild is prolonged and Demidov earns $10M+ while we have to extend Suzuki. Still way to early to worry about that. But in the next 5 years, I don't see cap challenges...even with our dead weight.

I'm interesting in Laine.

* I'd send a contract back and that is one of Armia, Gallagher, Anderson. Rather keep Dvorak for center depth but if the Jackets demand Dvorak, we can consider it. Most logical guy is Armia. One year left.

* Then we talk futures but not so sure how deep the Habs will go with it. If the demand is 1st rounders or grade A prospects, we pass.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Let's start by not mentioning the names Josh Anderson, Christian Dvorak and Joel Armia. We really don't need those players, especially the first two. If Montreal doesn't want them on the roster, there is such a thing as "buyout".

If the Canadiens want to enforce at least one of these players to Blue Jackets, the Laine trade talk may be over.

Reactions: Lolonegoal

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Let's start by not mentioning the names Josh Anderson, Christian Dvorak and Joel Armia. We really don't need those players, especially the first two. If Montreal doesn't want them on the roster, there is such a thing as "buyout".

If the Canadiens want to enforce at least one of these players to Blue Jackets, the Laine trade talk may be over.

I agree with the Gallagher and Anderson parts.

But if the Habs and Jackets worked out a Laine deal that required Armia going rhe other way I doubt it would be an issue. He only has 1 year left to UFA.

Reactions: Leon Lucius Black

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I agree with the Gallagher and Anderson parts.

But if the Habs and Jackets worked out a Laine deal that required Armia going rhe other way I doubt it would be an issue. He only has 1 year left to UFA.
Nobody is taking Merzlikins either and we have to suffer his contract, why should we take the horrendous salaries of other players we don't need, btw, that goes for Gallagher too, not just Anderson, Dvorak and Armia? Or do you think Waddell is Mother Teresa's disciple, or more accurately her official version?

I would add one more important thing. Laine plays great with players like Anderson and Armia, he makes his partners better (see stats). So in case you get him and he plays with one of them, eventually they would start playing the way you envision.

But I doubt you can get him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad