Value of: Laine, off season trade (mod warning OP)

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
Big RFA for 2022, 23yrs old. Let’s face it if he didn’t like his role in WPG, then he definitely hates it there in CBJ. Here’s a list of reasons why:
John Tortorella
Struggling to generate offence
Ice time has significantly dropped
Demoted to 4th line with AHL caliber players
Sometimes he’s scratched
Derailed with injuries (nothing to do with CBJ) but still.... list goes on

What are teams willing to give up for this RFA or potential sign and trade?

Mod warning - This thread is about trading Laine, not the Jets or PLD who have nothing to do with Laine or CBJ or Laine’s current value. Stay on topic or you will be removed from the thread with a infraction for your troubles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
We're not trading him unless we get our major need (defensively-minded top-6 or even top-line center) filled. Otherwise, it makes infinitely more sense to QO him and see if we can get him rehabbed under new circumstances. Selling low would be potentially disastrous.

(Also, that "demotion to the 4th line" lasted for all of one shift.)

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Can CBJ fans have more than 30+ games and a shorten season (no preseason, new system, new teammates, new coach etc.) Before we have thread after thread demanding CBJ fans to take nothing for him.

How about a #1C? Oh you want to offer prospects and picks? How about no then.

Reactions: Xoggz22 and CBJx614

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
We're not trading him unless we get our major need (defensively-minded top-6 or even top-line center) filled. Otherwise, it makes infinitely more sense to QO him and see if we can get him rehabbed under new circumstances. Selling low would be potentially disastrous.

why didn’t you reply with what your team needs?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
why didn’t you reply with what your team needs?
I did. Let me highlight it for you:

If you're looking for needs other than that... when it comes to a Laine proposal, there aren't any.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Big RFA for 2022, 23yrs old. Let’s face it if he didn’t like his role in WPG, then he definitely hates it there in CBJ. Here’s a list of reasons why:
John Tortorella
Struggling to generate offence
Ice time has significantly dropped
Demoted to 4th line with AHL caliber players
Sometimes he’s scratched
Derailed with injuries (nothing to do with CBJ) but still.... list goes on

What are teams willing to give up for this RFA or potential sign and trade?
How about asking nicely?

Reactions: twocubes

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Well without a doubt a team WILL take a chance on him. Would love him back in Winnipeg but that ship has kind of sailed unless he's a desperate UFA willing to take a discount.

Hard to say where he ends up but my guess is Colorado.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Well without a doubt a team WILL take a chance on him.
Indeed - and given that we have his RFA rights, the team that'll take a chance on him next year is most likely to be us. Unless someone is willing to pay high prices now (instead of "he's already a lost cause" prices, which is what we're normally quoted), it's better for us to keep trying.

VijayPatel11

Mar 29, 2021
Sarasota, FL
I think that Florida would be a good landing spot for him
However, since Jackets fans seem hellbent on somehow getting a top 6 center for him, I'd say we wait for the experiment to inevitably fail once again in 2021-22, then trade for his signing rights for cheaper

Reactions: Moosetache

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
However, since Jackets fans seem hellbent on somehow getting a top 6 center for him, I'd say we wait for the experiment to inevitably fail once again in 2021-22, then trade for his signing rights for cheaper
Feel free to go ahead and come up with and describe a plausible scenario in which trading Laine this offseason for anything short of that ends up actually benefiting and improving the Jackets. We'll wait.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
I'd love for Colorado to scoop him up on the cheap and try to bring him up to his potential but I don't think CBJ should sell low here. Pay an arm and a leg to get a good center, feed him PP time and tons of minutes, and if it's still unpalatable trade him when value is a little better. He has so much potential.

VijayPatel11

Mar 29, 2021
Sarasota, FL
Feel free to go ahead and come up with and describe a plausible scenario in which trading Laine this offseason for anything short of that ends up actually benefiting and improving the Jackets. We'll wait.
Your team has been worse than the Red Wings this year. All you would be doing is improving that record a little bit by adding a top 6 center
I am no GM, but this looks like a situation where you take prospects or picks for Laine

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
7.5 million QO

Yikes.

That said, completely expect Laine to get the QO for one year from CBJ. Really hard to tell if this guy cares enough to bounce back or if that one year deal will be his retirement contract so he can live out his years gaming. I wish I was joking, but it wouldn’t be the first time an ultra talented player lost interest (see Jimmy Carson and Alexandre Daimler).

Reactions: DanyHeatley

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Let me be more specific... teams needs as in players.
Perhaps if your thread involved specific teams, then specific players could be discussed. As it is, picking players from random teams is likely not going to lead to productive discussion, because the teams that have the sorts of players we need tend to fall into one or both of the following categories:
  • Lack a compelling motivation to engage in a risky reclamation project on the wing, and/or
  • Only have ONE such player available and can't afford to give him up at all - or giving him up would be severe overkill.
For example, you appear to be a Sens fan. From the Sens, the lowest-value player that would fit the criteria is zvfgrewbfuabeevfngpragre (name rot13ed to hopefully impede outrage hobbyists scanning for names). But that's still such severe overkill that it makes less than zero sense for the Sens, so there's no good conversation to be had there - just another flamewar. So there's not much point in even bringing him up.

* * *​
Your team has been worse than the Red Wings this year. All you would be doing is improving that record a little bit by adding a top 6 center
Incorrect. By adding a defensively capable top-6 center, we get a guy who can take on minutes against top players and thus shield folks like Roslovic and Texier and Foudy while they grow and develop. As it is, we have to keep throwing them and Domi to the wolves, and that's just making a bad situation worse.

I am no GM, but this looks like a situation where you take prospects or picks for Laine
And if our rehab efforts fail, then that will likely be discussed at that time. But until that time, there's no good reason for us to lower the price.

Reactions: Guitpik

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Well without a doubt a team WILL take a chance on him. Would love him back in Winnipeg but that ship has kind of sailed unless he's a desperate UFA willing to take a discount.

Hard to say where he ends up but my guess is Colorado.

I'd love for Colorado to scoop him up on the cheap and try to bring him up to his potential but I don't think CBJ should sell low here. Pay an arm and a leg to get a good center, feed him PP time and tons of minutes, and if it's still unpalatable trade him when value is a little better. He has so much potential.

Absolutely no from Colorado, at any price. This is a cap league and we got better players to spend it on. His salary will not fit without moving core players who aren't moving.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
The least original proposal reoccurring here again:

JT Miller is probably on the block after having the audacity to question management and ownership.

He's looked good as our 1b center, too.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Hysterical that if the experiment would fail you’d be interested in trading for his signing rights when you would then know the failure is the player himself. But cool.

Reactions: Xoggz22 and Fro

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

Couture for Laine. Do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1