Laine goal-drought watch: 15 games (ends 02/22)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
As a Jet fan I'd have no issue with a offer sheet on Laine since the Jets are proving they can win without virtually any Laine point production. I'd take the 1st/2nd round picks which would guarantee the Jets keep the pipeline full and be a competitive contender for many years to come.

Right now I would rather see Laine bridged and KC get a 6+ year deal.

When Laine doesn't score he is the worst player on the team.

you would be ok with the preds offer sheeting laine for 10 mil and the jets only getting a pair of late 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd for a kid that scored 44 as a teenager?

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
He looks actually pretty good right now. He is moving and much more active. Also such an unbelievable hands wow!

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Beginning to (kinda) hope a lottery team makes a stupid good offer for him. This stuff is affecting the whole team IMO.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Is it still fun for the cool kids to take massive dumps on Laine.

giphy.gif

Morlu

Nov 4, 2011
you would be ok with the preds offer sheeting laine for 10 mil and the jets only getting a pair of late 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd for a kid that scored 44 as a teenager?

Honestly this would be a good move for Nashville. I would offer sheet Marner or Laine if it gets too that point. They need to win within the next few years, or they are finished.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
What do you mean mr. Ducky?
Mostly venting.

I am in a minority of Jets fans that think/ worry Laine does not really fit with the type of game the Jets play and could be better off trading him - for a very good return - before they have to sign him to a stupid big $ contract. I think - of course I dont know ( I have no insider info ) he whole Laine goal watch is an actual distraction to the team. Right now he is probably the least effective forward on the team on a nightly basis yet the whole hockey world seems to think the Jets need to add a C to get Laine going.

I also realize it is foolish to trade someone who has accomplished what Laine has before he turned 21. I am also painfully aware the Jets once before foolishly traded a struggling Finnish sniper. That turned out very badly for the team.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth

The Preds can't afford that offer sheet any more then the Jets can make a offer sheet on another young player. The cap makes it impossible for any contender to make such a offer. It will be a NYRs or a LAKs that would make a offer like that if it happens at all. The odds are high that no one makes a offer sheet. Laine is not worth the draft picks it would cost them. The Jets would be lucky to get such a offer and get out of paying what Laine will want and keep their depth and stay a contender. Silly scenario.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Mostly venting.

I am in a minority of Jets fans that think/ worry Laine does not really fit with the type of game the Jets play and could be better off trading him - for a very good return - before they have to sign him to a stupid big $ contract. I think - of course I dont know ( I have no insider info ) he whole Laine goal watch is an actual distraction to the team. Right now he is probably the least effective forward on the team on a nightly basis yet the whole hockey world seems to think the Jets need to add a C to get Laine going.

I also realize it is foolish to trade someone who has accomplished what Laine has before he turned 21. I am also painfully aware the Jets once before foolishly traded a struggling Finnish sniper. That turned out very badly for the team.

Good post. Not sure your opinion is a minority of Jets fans. Laine is not worth the cost of the depth the Jets will lose to sign him long term. He may become a great player in the years to come but the Jets are in a win now mode and his trade value now will help the Jets to get over the top and win a cup. Even if Laine can start scoring again and he will eventually he is not a good hockey player. Laine is right now a AHL player with top NHL scoring ability that is not scoring. He will get his goals over time but he is not worth the money to keep him on a team that wants to win the cup in the next year or two. Unless the Jets can bridge him for 5-6m over the next 2 years I say trade him this summer and try to hold onto Trouba, sign Conner long term and sign Morriessy long term.

Last edited:

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
he's a young guy barely a adult. he needs to change it up to get the boogyman off his back. in todays nhl teams are so good at studying tape and identifying your strengths, that you have to adapt sooner or later. I think the kid will be fine. he may just have to make some adjustments.

this is kinda a lose lose situation for the peg tho. at least if he was still putting up his gawdly numbers expectation and perspective would have him getting locked up long term, now you will see a player bet on himself and probably take a 2 year bridge hoping to regain form and a larger payday.

start of the year I would say most thought he would get 10+ now he would be lucky to get 7 - 7.5 on a long term deal. unless he goes full snipeshow he may be lucky to get 50 points this year if that.

In the end I think the jets have to be patient with him, hes only 20

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Move him for Stone. Give Stone the money Laine wants. At least Stone is actually worth it.
Where have I heard it before that Jets' management thought their young Finnish goalscoring phenom would be done in the league in couple of years and decided it was a good move to trade him for nothing before that happens?

Reactions: Sens and vivalavili
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad