Laine goal-drought watch: 15 games (ends 02/22)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I am kinda getting sick of this excuse of he's garbage and it's all on him.
How about trying Laine with someone else instead of forcing something that isn't working?
When Ehlers and Connor struggled this season they were moved up to play with Scheifele. Laine has not been given that chance. How come? I'll help you with that: coaching. We don't have a coach that is able to realize that it's important to have your best goal scorer confident and for he playoffs. He's unable to make adjustments for the betterment of the team as a whole. The Jets need to trade for a 2nd line center before Feb. 25th otherwise prepare yourself for a disappointing early playoff exit.

Dont know how none of this can't be on coaching

Look at niku just sit in the press box instead of giving him ice time getting him ready for the playoffs

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
No no I remember it. It's just.....not a low blow...it wasn't that mean. It was like....your kid pushing the shopping cart into your heel. It's like "HEY!...I FORGIVE YOU!"

That makes no sense.

What am I doing with my life?
You are a hockey fan. You are watching your young star player implode, and it sucks. It happens to every team, every fan, at one time or the other. People clapping back with "does he remind you of Lemieux" and "Is Laine better than Ovechkin" stuff, that's just human nature. They will dump on Laine today, Marner or Matthews tomorrow, and then somebody else. These are fairly mild insults compared to what's usually thrown Matthews' way.

Mar 26, 2010
Laine will get out of the slump. Happens to all top tier players. Once he gets one, they will start going in again.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
The best thing to happen to the jets will be this anamoly season from Laine. They will get him signed at a discounted rate while he will pick it up and head back to his projection of being a top 3 winger in the league. The guy is too good of a scorer not to be a 75+ or producer year in and out. He needs to basically live and breath hockey+fitness this offseason to help take the next step. Improve his strength, balance, puck protection skills and general skating. He is still a incredible young talent and will be the jets beat player within 3 years.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
You are a hockey fan. You are watching your young star player implode, and it sucks. It happens to every team, every fan, at one time or the other. People clapping back with "does he remind you of Lemieux" and "Is Laine better than Ovechkin" stuff, that's just human nature. They will dump on Laine today, Marner or Matthews tomorrow, and then somebody else. These are fairly mild insults compared to what's usually thrown Matthews' way.

tenor.gif

I wasn't ready to ride the feelings train today :(

Auston Marlander

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
This sure as hell isn't his 2nd thread.

I still can't believe he said in one interview 1.5 years ago he doesn't believe in skating during summers, which is kinda showing in his game.

He had fire in his rookie season but something happened with that.

I only recall 1 other, the one that recently closed, but I dont see or remember all threads.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Calling it now. I see two goals for Laine next game.

Remember to diddle that like button when it happens!
What makes you think he will have any success against Colorado?

We only allow around 4 goals per game.

Not sure Laine has much of a chance.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Absolutely. KFC is a perfect fit for that line. His work in the corners and on the forcheck is exactly what that line needs. Add in that he can pass and shoot very well and I see no reason to break that line up.

Now hold your hand out so I can slap it for using +/- as a valid statistic.

Kinda off-topic but...

Connor - Scheifele - Wheeler
400min TOI
49.5% CF
20 GF / 22GA

Ehlers - Scheifele - Wheeler
353min TOI
53.8% CF
20 GF / 9 GA

Last season CSW was better but I didn't drink the kool-aid back then, and IMO it wasn't as good as a line with Scheifele & Wheeler should be and Scheifele consistently does better without Connor in his line. To my eyes Ehlers is so much better in the 1st line and the stats seem to agree.

The following is not really that relevant because most data re Scheifele w/ Laine is from Laine's rookie season, but seeing these numbers again I can't but wonder why Laine never really saw Scheifele again...

Since beginning of 2016-2017
Scheifele w/ Connor
1073min TOI
50.63% CF
49 GF / 48 GA

Scheifele w/ Laine
617min TOI
49.29% CF
41 GF / 28 GA

It's almost criminal Laine never sees the 1st line and "deserving" doesn't come to it. After his November when he first started slumping I was crying for a move to 1st line, however time for that is long past. Now I think it would be just throwing him to the wolves and he needs to play through this.

Reactions: Hulide

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I wonder if Laine's deficiencies scare Winnipeg off of committing to him long term, opening up for an offer sheet of some sort from a desperate big market team?

Duffalufagus

Jan 4, 2017
This guy cost himself at least 10mm with this turd laying this year. Only an idiot signs this guy for a nickel over aav 7mm on any kind of term.

Even that is too much.

Reactions: Channelcat

golgoXIII

Apr 2, 2007
Absolutely. KFC is a perfect fit for that line. His work in the corners and on the forcheck is exactly what that line needs. Add in that he can pass and shoot very well and I see no reason to break that line up.

Now hold your hand out so I can slap it for using +/- as a valid statistic.

lol thanks

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
Nothing in Laine's hockey past suggests this will be permanent. It's only a matter of time before he's back to supplying offense.

His play away from the puck certainly needs some work.

binop7

Jul 4, 2011
Teams have realized that all he has is his shot. If you don't let him get that shot off, he is not going to hurt you.
Bingo. His skating is downright bad. And I'm not talking straight ahead speed. I mean his edge work and lateral movement is not nhl level. I don't know if there's a player with a greater chasm between their shot and skating ability than Laine If he doesn't seriously improve his skating he'll be disassembled in the film room

Reactions: libertarian

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Haven watched a Jets game for a while
He’s shot accuracy is way off
Missing the net on his onetimer with beauty feeds from Wheels is going get you off the PP1

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Threads like this are a perfect case study on why GM's are GM's and windbags on the Internet are not.

Here's how I see the timeline playing out:

- Chevy will sign Laine to a 6-7 year deal at ~$9M AAV if not more. This will be a well-timed savings thanks to the slump.

- Armchair GMs around here will still lose their minds screaming that he's overpaid after a down season and Chevy should be fired because Laine's 105 goals by age 20 don't count for anything apparently.

- Laine will then develop into a perennial 50 goal, 80pt+ guy because it turns out elite players don't peak at 19yrs old and there is a much bigger picture at play here than a few months of poor play.

- His contract will look like a steal in a couple of years and Chevy will look like a genius for signing it. None of the haters will resurface to eat their crow because that would mean admitting they're not as smart as a professional general manager.

Okay, now hit me with the ''no you're wrong Laine looked like crap for a couple of months so his career is 100% over'' posts. I'm ready :D

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Kinda off-topic but...

Connor - Scheifele - Wheeler
400min TOI
49.5% CF
20 GF / 22GA

Ehlers - Scheifele - Wheeler
353min TOI
53.8% CF
20 GF / 9 GA

Last season CSW was better but I didn't drink the kool-aid back then, and IMO it wasn't as good as a line with Scheifele & Wheeler should be and Scheifele consistently does better without Connor in his line. To my eyes Ehlers is so much better in the 1st line and the stats seem to agree.

The following is not really that relevant because most data re Scheifele w/ Laine is from Laine's rookie season, but seeing these numbers again I can't but wonder why Laine never really saw Scheifele again...

Since beginning of 2016-2017
Scheifele w/ Connor
1073min TOI
50.63% CF
49 GF / 48 GA

Scheifele w/ Laine
617min TOI
49.29% CF
41 GF / 28 GA

It's almost criminal Laine never sees the 1st line and "deserving" doesn't come to it. After his November when he first started slumping I was crying for a move to 1st line, however time for that is long past. Now I think it would be just throwing him to the wolves and he needs to play through this.

I know I've said it so many times already but you hit the nail in the coffin here so for the one last time, what the Jets (mainly consisting of Chevy/Maurice probably) lets us see is exactly what they want us to see, which is Laine not having anything remotely close to a real breakout season and considering this is Laine's contract year the timing couldn't be more convenient. The fact that he never even had a showcase for the first line after first year is already alarming, but actually demoting one of the best shooters (that happened to be the best PP goal scorer in the league last year and still standing 6th today) to the 2nd unit, in a position maybe the least favourable to him, how does that make any sense at all (or how does it help getting him off the slump)? The team hasn't scored a single PP goal since and it's been 4 games already. The extent they go for the sake of the cap hit is borderline crazy assuming they really want to hold on to this player. I guess as long as you're winning, there's no limits in how you can handle your assets.

behemolari

worst collapse in nhl history
Dec 1, 2011
I know I've said it so many times already but you hit the nail in the coffin here so for the one last time, what the Jets (mainly consisting of Chevy/Maurice probably) lets us see is exactly what they want us to see, which is Laine not having anything remotely close to a real breakout season and considering this is Laine's contract year the timing couldn't be more convenient. The fact that he never even had a showcase for the first line after first year is already alarming, but actually demoting one of the best shooters (that happened to be the best PP goal scorer in the league last year and still standing 6th today) to the 2nd unit, in a position maybe the least favourable to him, how does that make any sense at all (or how does it help getting him off the slump)? The team hasn't scored a single PP goal since and it's been 4 games already. The extent they go for the sake of the cap hit is borderline crazy assuming they really want to hold on to this player. I guess as long as you're winning, there's no limits in how you can handle your assets.

by one word - business

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Nothing in Laine's hockey past suggests this will be permanent. It's only a matter of time before he's back to supplying offense.

His play away from the puck certainly needs some work.

And once again, I see nothing in his current play to say he'll return to form. He's 20, he has plenty of time to figure it out, but if a guy sucks for half a season and shows no signs of improvement.. that might be the reality for the foreseeable future. I know, it's rare, but it does happen, especially with a rather one dimensional player like Laine.

I honestly hope he does figure it out, but just assuming he will is kinda wishful thinking imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad