Laine goal-drought watch: 15 games (ends 02/22)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

pomx

May 15, 2014
Jeesh, according to his Fornite account, after losing 1-4 with a -2 and 15min TOI, he’s at 7 games and counting.

I know people think this is a meme, but he really has a problem.

Reactions: alexpj

vivalavili

Jan 8, 2016
Helsinki
Where have I heard it before that Jets' management thought their young Finnish goalscoring phenom would be done in the league in couple of years and decided it was a good move to trade him for nothing before that happens?
Yup, his career must be over for sure now, this 20yr old kid has played only 200 NHL games and scored barely a hundred goals smh, what a bust.

but for real, everyone knows that Laine is slumping badly atm but why would you trade the best goal scorer of his generation when he's 20. Maybe this slump ends soon and he'll pot another 20 goals in the remaining games or maybe he'll finish the regular season weakly and get a bridge deal in the summer that is more affordable for the Jets and widens their Cup window, who knows.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Yup, his career must be over for sure now, this 20yr old kid has played only 200 NHL games and scored barely a hundred goals smh, what a bust.

but for real, everyone knows that Laine is slumping badly atm but why would you trade the best goal scorer of his generation when he's 20. Maybe this slump ends soon and he'll pot another 20 goals in the remaining games or maybe he'll finish the regular season weakly and get a bridge deal in the summer that is more affordable for the Jets and widens their Cup window, who knows.

Lol

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
He actually had his best game in a while last night. If he keeps the effort up, he will get out of his slump.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Jeesh, according to his Fornite account, after losing 1-4 with a -2 and 15min TOI, he’s at 7 games and counting.

How does him playing Fortnite after a game indicate a problem? Is he not allowed to enjoy his free time doing something he likes unless his team wins?

ayoshi

Nov 3, 2010
Where have I heard it before that Jets' management thought their young Finnish goalscoring phenom would be done in the league in couple of years and decided it was a good move to trade him for nothing before that happens?

Not advocating that proposal, but you think Mark Stone is "nothing"?

ijuka

May 14, 2016

Agreed. Who on earth plays Fortnite anymore? Anyone sane should be playing Apex Legends instead. This is very worrisome...

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
How does him playing Fortnite after a game indicate a problem? Is he not allowed to enjoy his free time doing something he likes unless his team wins?
A driven athlete would not spend nearly all their free time playing videogames. Its no coincidence that Laine has played like crap all year, except in November, and that he has not really improved much as a player since he was drafted.

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019
Who is a better goal scorer of his generation? Maybe Ovechkin, if you include him in Laine's generation? And why lol? Last season Laine scored 44 goals... as a 19 year old. In the entire NHL, that was 2nd highest. The only person higher, at any age, was Ovechkin (who only has 7 Rocket Richards btw but I guess that doesn't impress you)

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
A driven athlete would not spend nearly all their free time playing videogames. Its no coincidence that Laine has played like crap all year, except in November, and that he has not really improved much as a player since he was drafted.

Kids 20...

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Who is a better goal scorer of his generation? Maybe Ovechkin, if you include him in Laine's generation? And why lol? Last season Laine scored 44 goals... as a 19 year old. In the entire NHL, that was 2nd highest. The only person higher, at any age, was Ovechkin (who only has 7 Rocket Richards btw but I guess that doesn't impress you)

You don't become the best of a generation because of 1 season. And last time I checked Matthews had more goals as a rookie and has more this season despite playing 15 less games. So if 2/3 seasons Matthews has him beat, how is Laine the best?

And obviously I'm not including OV because that's an insult to him.

Reactions: thunder16

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Would Flames fans trade Tkachuk for Laine?
Would CBJ fans trade Dubois for Laine?

Honest question...

I don’t know about those clubs organizational needs... but I mean Laine has over 100/goals already on his resume... After Selannes 76 goal rookie season he had a few years of 23ish...

Everyone is blasting Laine for his shitty year and lack of commitment... turns it around and has a hot March... could still pot 40 on the year

Am absolute dreadful season and he could still hit 40... says a lot about the taleht he has

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
You don't become the best of a generation because of 1 season. And last time I checked Matthews had more goals as a rookie and has more this season despite playing 15 less games. So if 2/3 seasons Matthews has him beat, how is Laine the best?

Mathews and Laine are equal as goal scorers currently... Dude thinks Laine will be better moving forward... nothing wrong with having that opinion

And he puts ovechkin in with the old guard... 30+ players

Players under 30... I don’t see anyone making a case as a better goal scorer then Laine

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie

Yup 40 as a rookie (rather than a 2nd year) and better goal per game pace over their respective careers. So while not lol it's highly debatable.

Reactions: saffronleaf

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Mathews and Laine are equal as goal scorers currently... Dude thinks Laine will be better moving forward... nothing wrong with having that opinion

And he puts ovechkin in with the old guard... 30+ players

Players under 30... I don’t see anyone making a case as a better goal scorer then Laine

There's nothing wrong with predicting someone will be better. There's definitely something wrong with calling someone "the best of a generation" when his career is 3 years old and he's already behind a peer. Let him build a track record and prove himself. Nobody called OV the best of a generation after his first 2 seasons, it's common sense.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
So are the other top young players. I doubt they spend all their spare time playing Fortnite, or if they did we would see the effects on the ice.

Yeah other top picks like Pulijujari, Juolevi, Strome, Zacha; Reinheart; Bennett, Dal Colle, Virtanen, Nylander, Patrick, Hischier ?

Truly showing Laine how to be a young star in today’s NHL... Laine should definitely be asking himself what he has to do to be better then those guys hahahaha

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
There's nothing wrong with predicting someone will be better. There's definitely something wrong with calling someone "the best of a generation" when his career is 3 years old and he's already behind a peer. Let him build a track record and prove himself. Nobody called OV the best of a generation after his first 2 seasons, it's common sense.

I was on HF back when Ovechkin was breaking in... the hype was absolutely ridiculous from everyone... Laine is nothing compared to the projections of greatness from Ovechkin

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019

Well I'm not including Ovy because he was the greatest goal scorer of this past generation, but he doesn't seem to slow down, so he may just overlap multiple generations and be the greatest goal scorer of several generations, I don't know.

Matthews had 4 more goals in their rookie seasons, but Laine had 10 more goals in their 2nd seasons, he's the only one with over 40 goals in a season (44) and he has more total goals in their career (and he's 7 months younger). So to me, it looks difficult to argue Matthews is a better goal scorer, although Matthews is obviously also a phenom.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016

Other then Matthews, who under 30 would you call a better goal scorer then Laine? For curiosity sake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad