TSN: Laine cleared to return from Player Assistance Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
So, awesome offensively and defensively and yet only maybe one GM considered Laine even worth asking about. That's where your narrative fails.
Once again, the GMs want to take advantage of the situation. Why would they react now? They'll wait until Waddell will make price lower. They have time. Then we'll see. But Russian say: "Жадность фраера сгубила" - "Greed was the undoing of a dude". And GMs other teams can be this "dude".

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
They cant post that without his permission or more likely a suggestion from Laine. For the rest of the league training is an expectation no one posts pictures in any of these threads. For Laine he gets a pat on the back lol. Good for him, he's doing what everyone else already is, see look.

I get it. I'm pretty sure the video is meant to rehab his image a little in the hope of a trade. Everything helps, I guess.

Reactions: TS Quint

ManWithNoName

Unregistered User
Jul 9, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Im sure its all those things. You seem to know him pretty well. Can you get me an autograph?

We know for sure he doesn't like going to the gym. That was part of the rift in Winnipeg.

We know most of the league trains. It's not news. For Laine it is.

It must be shocking that no one wants this guy to so many of you. You seem to not see any flaws. Some how he's just an offensive machine who works hard.
, gets along with everyone and just feels like he needs a change AGAIN. Of course his GM is willing to basically give him away because he is also such a nice guy. No issues at all. Nothing to see here.
If anyone knows him it’s gotta be you though. Either that or you’re a certified Laine expert. You know for a fact that he doesn’t train and how he asks people to post pictures of him on Twitter. Even who he gets along with and not. I love it. I don’t think we’ve ever had such an insider at these forums.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Im sure its all those things. You seem to know him pretty well. Can you get me an autograph?

We know for sure he doesn't like going to the gym. That was part of the rift in Winnipeg.

It must be shocking that no one wants this guy to so many of you. You seem to not see any flaws. Some how he's just an offensive machine who works hard.
, gets along with everyone and just feels like he needs a change AGAIN. Of course his GM is willing to basically give him away because he is also such a nice guy. No issues at all. Nothing to see here.
What? We've known for years he spends the off-season training with some scrub named Barkov.

Now, they are tennis buddies and offseason workout partners.

The two go to Miami Heat games when Laine comes to visit and they co-host a charity golf tournament in Finland which has raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for the Tampere Association for Persons with Intellectual Disabilities.

One thing that has become a staple of his summer is a shared charity event he does with a fellow Finn who also happens to be star player in the NHL.

Barkov and Patrik Laine of the Columbus Blue Jackets have been tight since the two were young players in the NHL.
They often spend the offseason training together in Finland, and for the past several years they have been hosting the Laine and Barkov Charity Golf tournament.

This year’s tournament went down on Saturday at the Nokia River Golf course in Nokia, Finland, with all proceeds benefitting the Tampere Children’s Clinic.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Let’s not forget here that there are some CBJ fans that DO want to see him moved for essentially any return.
Only the one that we know of. A similar number of Jackets fans are still also big fans of The Former #7 and don't hold his tenure here against him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fro

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
What? We've known for years he spends the off-season training with some scrub named Barkov.

Laine to Florida confirmed.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021

Had you paid any attention to Laine in Jets you would know Laine trained in gym extensively with Rauhala for the first at least 3 off seasons. Guy who also trained Rantanen.

For his sophomore season he came in too bulked, had a lot more muscle but was less agile and it seemed to affect his play. The problem at that time was too much gym, too much focus on strength training was the general idea. There was plenty of material of it for all the years in Winnipeg, his summer training was a constant topic and there were lots of videos and pictures and discussion of training regimes.

So you pretending that Laine not going to gym was an issue, what are you talking about?

Past few seasons he's been training in the same group as Barkov as far as I know.

Stop making shit up

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Wadell told Brian Hedger a week ago that he didn’t expect anything happening anytime soon as not much business was going on due to holidays.

In worst case scenario Laine will be traded during the season. Some teams might be hesitant and want to see him in action before acquiring him.
A lot of teams are up against the Cap, and that's a tough contract to fit. The teams that aren't against the Cap are budget teams, that probably don't want that kind of salary on their books.

I'd say Colorado might be a team that shows interest...If Landeskog fails to come back, with Nichushkin out, maybe the Avs make a deal here to boost their top 6, and already good PP.

Reactions: Marioesque

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
You've been around long enough to not spout that BS...its August, GMs go on vacations with their families, they aren't hitting trades hard at this time...

Exactly. Laine's been busting his ass at Alkeme for months, even before SC finals, and after while other players are on summer vacations. But some want to question his dedication to training

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
I can’t see how Waddell shouldn’t or wouldn’t retain whatever amount of money needed to make a move, for a bigger return, and just to get him out of the locker room.

I can. I present Waddell's boss, Mr. Mike Priest. Assuming max retention $10m in real $$$ over the next two seasons is a very large amount for all but a handful of teams in the league.

Reactions: Fro

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
I can. I present Waddell's boss, Mr. Mike Priest. Assuming max retention $10m in real $$$ over the next two seasons is a very large amount for all but a handful of teams in the league.

And another reason that D-Wad has to consider is, if he just gives Laine away and he plays the next two full seasons and puts up 60+ goal campaigns, that trade will always be mentioned as one of the biggest mistakes and be attached to him.

Best to wait and allow value to go back up.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
If anyone knows him it’s gotta be you though. Either that or you’re a certified Laine expert. You know for a fact that he doesn’t train and how he asks people to post pictures of him on Twitter. Even who he gets along with and not. I love it. I don’t think we’ve ever had such an insider at these forums.
You are going with the "I you are but what am I?" Defense. ? Great. Always the intelligent way of defending something you made up.

Why would I know Laine? Because I repeated the well known fact of one of the main issues in Winnipeg?

We see him not getting along in Winnipeg and in Columbus are you living under a rock? It's not hard to find video of him having temper tantrums with his coaches with the BJs. He isn't asking to leave and the GM isn't wanting to be accommodating because he is well liked and respected on his team.

I never said he has never seen the inside of the gym in his life. His commitment to fitness just isn't at the level of most pro athletes.

Reactions: thebus88

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Once again, the GMs want to take advantage of the situation. Why would they react now? They'll wait until Waddell will make price lower. They have time. Then we'll see. But Russian say: "Жадность фраера сгубила" - "Greed was the undoing of a dude". And GMs other teams can be this "dude".
This is the time to take advantage. Sounds like there was one team that even asked about him. If you are a GM that wants him there is nothing to bid against. The market doesn't get much smaller.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
You've been around long enough to not spout that BS...its August, GMs go on vacations with their families, they aren't hitting trades hard at this time...
Teams have a chance to get this allegedly fantastic 200 foot player, who is a legendary gym rat that is beloved by his team and coaches, but desperately wants out of Columbus (for some reason lol) and his GM panhandling in the media to give him away at a near rock bottom price but you think GMs aren't making a simple call because they don't want to put down their all inclusive margaritas?

Really? This is logical? Something isn't adding up.

Reactions: thebus88

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
This is the time to take advantage. Sounds like there was one team that even asked about him. If you are a GM that wants him there is nothing to bid against. The market doesn't get much smaller.
That's why I wrote the Russian proverb ("Greed was the undoing of a dude"). GMs are waiting to see if Waddell will make price lower, I don't believe they don't work are in the holidays. But they can, as we say in Slovakia, miscalculate.

I know, it is strange but PAP can be a very strong argument, especially if Patrik was so long in it.

Reactions: TS Quint

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Exactly. Laine's been busting his ass at Alkeme for months, even before SC finals, and after while other players are on summer vacations. But some want to question his dedication to training
He's always got the conditioning right, even Werenski confirmed that. But I'm interested to see if he trains on the ice in this one. The coach specializes in summer sports, especially the NFL. Can't help him with skating drills, shooting, etc.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
He's always got the conditioning right, even Werenski confirmed that. But I'm interested to see if he trains on the ice in this one. The coach specializes in summer sports, especially the NFL. Can't help him with skating drills, shooting, etc.

I think this particular place (alkeme performance) is specific to athletes recovering from or trying to avoid injuries, strengthening any weaknesses.

I doubt it replaces any of his usual training, just additional to it. As far as I know he has always previously had training regime in Finland except last off season (spent in Columbus trsining and playing off season hockey tournament) and this one, where he has done a lot of extracurricular activities in Florida for months while most of hockey world is just chilling for a bit as they should.

I'm not concerned of his shooting, ever. He's the best I've seen and even the small sample of lsst preseason and some games between injuries, that skill is there. He didn't get it by accident, he's not losing it at 26. It's a skill he trained so obsessively that he reached the highest level. Barkov once said Laine took 200 extra shots after each practice after everyone else left . That determination is why he has that skill. And also why he is an elite player when healthy. Training and adapting, that's what it takes at the top.

You were absolutely right in your assessment earlier that the chances aren't really there (highlighted by using him on RD positionin PP, neutralizing oneT). He doesn't get to shoot unobstructed as much because that's the main focus of any opponent when he's out there. Don't let him shoot without harassment after blue line.

When the rest of the line can draw the attention away, those shots open up. If he wasn't the main puck carrier, he would get more shots and when he gets more shots, good things happen.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Teams have a chance to get this allegedly fantastic 200 foot player, who is a legendary gym rat that is beloved by his team and coaches, but desperately wants out of Columbus (for some reason lol) and his GM panhandling in the media to give him away at a near rock bottom price but you think GMs aren't making a simple call because they don't want to put down their all inclusive margaritas?

Really? This is logical? Something isn't adding up.

How about the realistic narrative instead of your misrepresentation of a player?

You wanted to claim there were problems about him not training. That was never the case. Do you have some reputable source?

I reminded you of reality and the existing footage from those off seasons, so you could fix your faulty narrative. Nobody said gym rat, you did. You wanted to present your opinion as fact, I checked it with facts. Yield.

Why do you want to sell this bs narrative? What's in it for you?

Wouldn't it be best for hockey and fans that the best talents in the game were able to perform at their best? It's nice for me as a hockey fan when the best talents are playing and not injured. Is it different to you?

Last edited:

Apr 9, 2009
USA
You are going with the "I you are but what am I?" Defense. ? Great. Always the intelligent way of defending something you made up.

Why would I know Laine? Because I repeated the well known fact of one of the main issues in Winnipeg?

We see him not getting along in Winnipeg and in Columbus are you living under a rock? It's not hard to find video of him having temper tantrums with his coaches with the BJs. He isn't asking to leave and the GM isn't wanting to be accommodating because he is well liked and respected on his team.

I never said he has never seen the inside of the gym in his life. His commitment to fitness just isn't at the level of most pro athletes.

Can you provide a source for anything you've said in this topic? I live in Columbus, have connections to media who follow the Jackets (I actually covered the Jackets as a writer briefly, lol), and pay as much attention to the Jackets as probably anyone who actively roots for another team. This would be the first time I've heard of him not being respected by his coaches and teammates in Columbus. You're just saying a bunch of bullshit. If this is what happened in Winnipeg, it's not what happened in Columbus.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
In fairness, I'm surprised Laine still wants to leave. You guys have a lot of good young players. New management, new coach. If I were him, I'd atleast stick around and see what happens.
It's possible he mostly wants to leave for non-hockey reasons, but that aside, I think purely in terms of his hockey career the best options for him are to leave ASAP or stick around long enough to extend with CBJ. He's in his prime, has two years left of his contract and at the time it was signed, these last two years were when the team was supposed to start going somewhere, had everything gone to plan (or at least I believe that's what the initial plan was).

Since that contract was signed, they've had 3 different coaches (hopefully they finally have a good one), suffered with a lot of injuries as a team, lost Voracek to unexpected retirement because of concussion etc, basically after the initially promising 1st year of rebuild, after which Laine signed for 4 years with the CBJ, everything has went against them as a team and Laine personally with injuries.

I don't think the last two years have been anything like he imagined at the time of signing - sure, he knew the team was work in progress, but there's been no progress, they plummeted instead. Hopefully they are on the upswing now, but unless Evason is a wizard, Monahan plays at a level no one dares to hope for and some of the young guys explode, they are not going to make much of a splash during the reminder of Laine's contract.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
He hasn't posted anything. He's been training all summer at Alkeme performance in Florida and their instagram posts stuff with the athletes they work with.
They cant post that without his permission or more likely a suggestion from Laine. For the rest of the league training is an expectation no one posts pictures in any of these threads.

If you go to the social media account of pretty much any trainer, gym, or physical therapist who works with pro athletes, you’ll find either photos or testimonials from some of those athletes. As businesses who interface with the general public, it’s a practice that both increases their visibility and boosts the credibility of their brand.

The idea that “Laine most likely suggested” they post the picture from his workout is one of the most asinine claims I’ve read on this forum, which is a high bar to clear.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I don't know, I guess we have two Patrik Laine's on the team. :huh::cool:

I think this particular place (alkeme performance) is specific to athletes recovering from or trying to avoid injuries, strengthening any weaknesses.

I doubt it replaces any of his usual training, just additional to it. As far as I know he has always previously had training regime in Finland except last off season (spent in Columbus trsining and playing off season hockey tournament) and this one, where he has done a lot of extracurricular activities in Florida for months while most of hockey world is just chilling for a bit as they should.

I'm not concerned of his shooting, ever. He's the best I've seen and even the small sample of lsst preseason and some games between injuries, that skill is there. He didn't get it by accident, he's not losing it at 26. It's a skill he trained so obsessively that he reached the highest level. Barkov once said Laine took 200 extra shots after each practice after everyone else left . That determination is why he has that skill. And also why he is an elite player when healthy. Training and adapting, that's what it takes at the top.

You were absolutely right in your assessment earlier that the chances aren't really there (highlighted by using him on RD positionin PP, neutralizing oneT). He doesn't get to shoot unobstructed as much because that's the main focus of any opponent when he's out there. Don't let him shoot without harassment after blue line.

When the rest of the line can draw the attention away, those shots open up. If he wasn't the main puck carrier, he would get more shots and when he gets more shots, good things happen.
And skating, work with the stick? Every player trains it in the preseason. If not he could have problems in all October.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad