Confirmed with Link: Laine, 2nd 2026 to Montreal for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
In addition to ownership probably liking the 8 million saved in salaries, the freed up cap space is good for Waddell to make his mark on the team quickly. That could also be a big part in Waddell's thinking, he's now free to make a couple of moves as they become available in the near term. This year wasn't going to be competitive anyway but now there's a lot of opportunities for the season after, once Waddell has identified what works this season and what still needs fixing.

I try to cope. :D

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
As a fan of Laine I don't really like the destination, but at least it's done.

As a fan of CBJ I feel this is pretty ok? 2nd round pick for a young defenseman with a 1.4M caphit for this season and next season. Harris has been thrown in every MTL trade suggestion so I suppose he's not super good, but hopefully he can be serviceable this season in the NHL level.
Its more that the Habs have a boatload of good LD prospects so we need to make room. Harris is a great skater, good defender and has a good shot - but he gets knocked off the puck pretty easily.

I think you guys will like him, and hopefully he gets stronger on the puck.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Laine gone is good imo. I was hoping for a better return but getting rid of a guy who didn't want to be here is worth a lot.

Now Waddell has a base to work from..Should Provorov flourish this year and we want to re-sign him we can.without worrying about cap although I doubt that happens.

Next year's UFA group is going to be good and we have the $ to play if we desire.

I'm thinking the no retention thing was mgt trying to save some $ where they could.

Time to move on.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
A couple jumbled thoughts:
  • Harris seems like a great kid from what I'm reading about him. I am a huge fan of bringing in high-character guys like this. Also another American-born NCAA product, too.
  • Harris feels like an ideal Gudbranson partner
  • Also love that in such an overwhelmingly white sport, we now have three biracial/black young men in the org who all seem like such great kids. Harris, Lindstrom, and Greaves. Hockey is for everyone and we should be working for greater diversity. Especially in a city and state with such a large minority population.
  • Today is Don Waddell's birthday. I hope he gets the exact flavor of cake he loves. Also how annoying to have to execute a massive trade on your birthday
  • The more I think about it, the more I like the trade itself. Saves a lot of real dollars over two years for a player who didn't want to be here who just cannot seem to avoid injured reserve. If Harris's value in a vacuum is a third, then whatever the difference in value is between a second and a third feels fair for two years of risk of Laine's full contract. I don't see fleecing on either side

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
idk maybe i'm reading too much into this quote but to me this suggests that it was the losing actually

But I really just wanted a garage and I didn't have one. j/k

But seriously, if its the losing, they way I see it is you are part of the solution or part of the problem to stop losing.

If you don't want to be part of the solution. Peace out.

Or this could be read as "I wasn't a big enough superstar in Columbus."

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Stuff like this is why I'm ecstatic we didn't retain any salary.

The trade of Laine leaves the Blue Jackets with $18.2 million in salary cap space. Only Calgary ($19.2 million) and Anaheim ($21.7 million) have more space. When the Laine trade became known Monday, Waddell said he was contacted immediately by two other GMs who have salary-cap issues.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Hey blue jackets fans. Habs fan here. Just wanted to drop this here in case any of you were curious of the type of player Harris is.

First of all I just want to say Harris was probably the better of the bunch of young D the Habs have on their roster not named Guhle. Xhekaj adds different elements to the game but Harris has proven that right now, his game is much more steady.

Harris is a jack of all trades. Good skating. Good gap control. Very smart all around. When given the opportunity with bigger minutes, he's proven to be pretty good. He's very self aware of what he can and can't do and never tried to over extend himself where he's incapable. His transition game is perfectly acceptable but his offensive zone ability is lacking. He doesn't do anything risky but defers a lot and doesn't really create. Great supporting cast type of D man that will anchor a bottom pair in the future.

PS. You can go look back on your board, I called the Lindstrom to Columbus pick during last season, so give me my flowers lol

ClevelandJacketFan

Awesome Mascots!
Nov 1, 2007
...Really?
Can't help but feel like we just got Ryan Murray 2.0. Also don't know if Healthy Ryan Murray would have been good or bad?

Either way, the money saved is good, and getting guys who don't want to be here out of the organization is important.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Hey blue jackets fans. Habs fan here. Just wanted to drop this here in case any of you were curious of the type of player Harris is.

First of all I just want to say Harris was probably the better of the bunch of young D the Habs have on their roster not named Guhle. Xhekaj adds different elements to the game but Harris has proven that right now, his game is much more steady.

Harris is a jack of all trades. Good skating. Good gap control. Very smart all around. When given the opportunity with bigger minutes, he's proven to be pretty good. He's very self aware of what he can and can't do and never tried to over extend himself where he's incapable. His transition game is perfectly acceptable but his offensive zone ability is lacking. He doesn't do anything risky but defers a lot and doesn't really create. Great supporting cast type of D man that will anchor a bottom pair in the future.

PS. You can go look back on your board, I called the Lindstrom to Columbus pick during last season, so give me my flowers lol
That aligns with the scouting report I read. He's solid at everything but not stellar at anything. Sounds just like a solid team guy.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Ummmm... ;) LA and Winnipeg have joined the chat.
😂 If seriously, PLD is a different type of player. We'll see how Patrik plays in Montreal. I'll wish him the best. But the chapter is over for us, we need to focus on the current roster.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I don’t really know what to say.. where have all the Paddy’s gone? He never really showed up here and for that, well what a huge disappointment. Biggest nothing burger ever

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Harris is a solid player. Definitely will be a player you like as long as he stays cheap. Could maybe develop into a Top-4 but his size will work against him against stronger scoring forwards.
I've been thinking he might look pretty good next to Gudbranson, could allow both to play to their strengths.

Reactions: NotWendell

Notabaguette

Mar 4, 2018
Habs fan here. Harris is going to be a good NHLer. And is a solid LD.

Habs have better D in the pipeline

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad