Confirmed with Link: Laine, 2nd 2026 to Montreal for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
What stings the most now is we completely lost our 3rd overall pick track. The pick that was our best 1st round pick in years, likely only behind Werenski pick

Reactions: behemolari

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
what killed us is Pat saying he would never play for the blue jackets again, if he came back and played two months and showed he still has all the talent in the world we would have got a nice package. we have a good prospect pool. im okay with this deal. Patty was never Patty in Columbus he was always Pat here.
We're just flippin' Pattys. (His name's NOT RICK!)

• Haha
Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I cannot imagine any scenario in which that cap space gets used anytime within the next year.
fantilli deal.
fantilli's ELC expires the same summer laine's current contract does, so it wouldn't impact it.

the only scenarios i can envision where they use that cap space are:
  1. a super expensive but still useful veteran becomes available and the jackets get involved (i.e. alex pietrangelo)
  2. taking back a higher-aav but shorter-term player in a bad contract swap to get rid of elvis (consolidating bad cap into fewer years)
  3. adding assets by being a retention broker or taking on cap dumps

Harris had some choice comments about Provorov in the past, trading one locker room headache for another?

/s
better trade provorov just to be safe!

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Can you explain me how? He worked his contract honestly (I don't count last season, concussions don't help anyone), he improved a lot in all ways the season before last.
By making it clear he didn't want to be here. It's exactly what Carter did. If anything Carter had more of a reason to want out than Laine.

Laine extended here knowing what he was doing.

Carter had just signed long term in Philly to a contending team and then was blindsided by his trade.

Obviously we don't know everything about what's happening with Laine, but this is a trade that reeks of "whatever, just get him outta the organization so we can move on"

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
By making it clear he didn't want to be here. It's exactly what Carter did. If anything Carter had more of a reason to want out than Laine.

Laine extended here knowing what he was doing.

Carter had just signed long term in Philly to a contending team and then was blindsided by his trade.

Obviously we don't know everything about what's happening with Laine, but this is a trade that reeks of "whatever, just get him outta the organization so we can move on"
Until we know what happened last season, we can't comment on anything. Besides, Carter should have played better.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
$8 million off the books ? We are talking an elite 26 years old forward we just lost for nothing and we even had to add a pick like we were in a cap crunch
You sure about that? [insert meme here]
Surely I didn’t expect us to get an elite level player in return but I was hoping we can get a slightly overpaid but true top 4 d man in return even if he was 30-32 year old like Matheson, in this case Laine is nothing but a cap dump as we could probably get Harris for a 2nd pick
You’re getting it now! :sarcasm:

Reactions: Ciao

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
What stings the most now is we completely lost our 3rd overall pick track. The pick that was our best 1st round pick in years, likely only behind Werenski pick
Draft wizard Jarmo’s 2nd best pick is a locker room cancer, that doesn’t fit the narrative lmao :sarcasm:

Sorry this is how I cope.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
I cannot imagine any scenario in which that cap space gets used anytime within the next year.
I agree that there will be no use of cap space "next year" to the extent that term means acquiring roster players during the 2024-25 season.

However, we have no idea what UFA, offer sheet or trade (for players or other assets) will become an opportunity at TDL or next summer.
JG landed in CBJ's lap out of the blue two summers ago; CBJ had to give up Bjorky to get under the cap.
The jury is out on the JG signing and the trade of Bjorky; hindsight is always 20/20. At the time, CBJ probably had to sign JG. I'd like to be in a position to do that again with this young and presumably talented roster, without having to lose a stud prospect.

My takeaway is that Waddell now has all the cap room he needs to land a big fish, sign the RFAs as their contracts term out, make deals at the TDL to acquire assets, all without having to make any unwanted moves of prospects/players to make those things happen. I'd like to stop thinking that elite players don't want to play in Columbus. For the last 12 years, that was one player, Panarin, who (along with his girlfriend) had NYC in the crosshairs from the moment Panarin landed in Columbus and may have been the case even while Panarin was still a Blackhawk. Laine is not an elite player, he has an elite shot but his overall value was next to zero in the trade market. Laine wanted out, and made that known unconditionally. So he's gone. I hope Laine recovers mental health, physical health, etc...but I really have no feelings about how he performs in the NHL moving forward.

I'd rather have the space, immediately, to start the wheels turning on how to make nice things happen next summer (and the year after that) with picks acquired at the TDL, AND maybe more importantly give the locker room an immediate fresh start NOW without forcing an attempt to resurrect Laine's trade value. Many got so focused on Laine "needing a fresh start" that we forgot that the locker room needed a fresh start just as much.
Even if Laine plays well for MTL, I am good with this trade for the long-term health of the CBJ.

Last edited:

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Harris is a solid player. Definitely will be a player you like as long as he stays cheap. Could maybe develop into a Top-4 but his size will work against him against stronger scoring forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad