Confirmed with Link: Laine, 2nd 2026 to Montreal for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
8 mill off the books, and got a player in return.
This is the return I pretty much expected, 100% fine with it.
$8 million off the books ? We are talking an elite 26 years old forward we just lost for nothing and we even had to add a pick like we were in a cap crunch

It’s almost like there’s an incredible amount of variables you’re not including
There was still almost two months before the season begins, I can’t believe this is the best we could get

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I wouldn't characterize Harris as a "no name defenseman". If we still had, say, Bean on the roster I would be more annoyed. He's young depth of the type we kind of freely gave away earlier.
Only he appears to be one that's healthier and a little more steady on a lower contract. Bean and Boqvist (Who I really liked actually) were overpaid for their value. It isn't ideal to end up with a 4-6 guy in this situation but he's a NHL defenseman and sounds like he's a little more well rounded than what was removed. We'll see I guess.

Reactions: CBJx614

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Let that sink in

We just traded a 26 year old forward who was a PPG player for us 2 seasons out of 4 for a no name defensemen AND we added a 2nd round pick
So I hear what you're saying and yeah, feel like this is the kind of stuff we do (or have to do) that keeps us being the laughing stock of the league. But here's my counter, I'll bullet point them so everyone can have at them:

• it's easier to be a PPG when you miss a third of every season (except last year, when he only played 18 games)
  • he can't play with Jonny Gaudreau
  • something about the locker room that Wads alluded to (which seemed unfair to Laine, but whatever)
  • have we mentioned turnovers yet?
  • and the big one: he doesn't want to be here.
I appreciate this new approach. Time to cut our losses from a bad decision rather than keep trying to bail ourselves out with new bad decisions that look good at first.

Next up: the Elvis problem.

After that: spending some of that new cap space.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
He hasn’t been an elite player since before the pandemic. Hes an incredibly flawed player with Zeus’ lightning bolt for a shot.
That could be said about literally all of our forwards last year, two years prior to that he was PPG. That should certainly be worth more than a third pair d man with us sending a 2nd pick back as well

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Laine contract is only for 2 more years and we already had a lot of cap. Harris will likely be another Bean / Boqvist kinda guy. This is horrible for Columbus, let’s be real here
I don't know... having a malcontent on a team that already had an identity and function behavioral issue removed? He didn't want to be here. He's not been Elite for 5 years. He played 52% of games in Columbus for the past 3 years (129 of a possible 246). Sure, he could be a boon for this team, but he hasn't been and you're treating him like he was a great player. The old phrase "The best ability is availability" comes into play here.

Look, I was (am) a big Laine supporter but if he didn't want to be here it wasn't going to get any better. Banging your fist on the table that he's some incredible player, when he has not been, doesn't change the fact he was far from available and far from the expected 40 goal scorer we hoped to get. It didn't work, moving money not worth spending and realizing it actually doesn't create any holes on this team because of it is something you might think about.

He may tear it up for Montreal. Good for him. I don't think this move makes Columbus any different heading into the year but maybe more cohesive and recognize it's a player they don't need to forcefeed the puck and one less player that thinks he needs to do it all. I wish him luck but this is not a bad move at this point.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I wasn't expecting much, which I've said many times. PAP is taking away from the value of the players. I have a feeling that Waddell said the reasons for Patrick's request for the sake of getting his hands untied.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
As a fan of Laine I don't really like the destination, but at least it's done.

As a fan of CBJ I feel this is pretty ok? 2nd round pick for a young defenseman with a 1.4M caphit for this season and next season. Harris has been thrown in every MTL trade suggestion so I suppose he's not super good, but hopefully he can be serviceable this season in the NHL level.
I personally really liked Harris in his 2 years here with the habs, he wasn't in trade suggestions because he was bad just that the habs have a bunch of young defenders on the left side that are coming mostly at the same time.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I don't know... having a malcontent on a team that already had an identity and function behavioral issue removed? He didn't want to be here. He's not been Elite for 5 years. He played 52% of games in Columbus for the past 3 years (129 of a possible 246). Sure, he could be a boon for this team, but he hasn't been and you're treating him like he was a great player. The old phrase "The best ability is availability" comes into play here.
Surely I didn’t expect us to get an elite level player in return but I was hoping we can get a slightly overpaid but true top 4 d man in return even if he was 30-32 year old like Matheson, in this case Laine is nothing but a cap dump as we could probably get Harris for a 2nd pick

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I don't care about the 2nd round in 2026 at all. We have a lot of talented players. Now we just need to develop them.

I wish Patrick good luck! :nod:I already watched about 15 Montreal games last season because of Slafkovsky, now I'll watch more...that is if Montreal doesn't play at the same time as Columbus, of course. :D

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Laine contract is only for 2 more years and we already had a lot of cap. Harris will likely be another Bean / Boqvist kinda guy. This is horrible for Columbus, let’s be real here
if the trade is meant to adds cap flexibility, it's not a bad deal, provided they actually use the cap flexibility. if it's just about saving ownership $18m, that's a different story.

Reactions: behemolari

Cheddarcheese

Oct 24, 2023
what killed us is Pat saying he would never play for the blue jackets again, if he came back and played two months and showed he still has all the talent in the world we would have got a nice package. we have a good prospect pool. im okay with this deal. Patty was never Patty in Columbus he was always Pat here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad