Value of: Laine + 1st

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
First, Laine is 23 and a top line sniper, something every team needs.
Second, the 1st is this years and can be Chicago's or CBJs since they are so close in the standings.
Third, the other 1st could be included as well.

CBJ needs listed in order of importance's:
Centers. (prospects)
Stay at home Dmen. (under 30)
Prospects. (center/dmen)
Picks. (1st/2nd)

Other assests likely available:
Domi
Korpi
Nyquist
Kukan
Cap Space

Bond

May 10, 2012
If they are trading Laine, why include a 1st? What players are available that would make sense

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Laine has an unfavorable contractual situation to go along with his warts as a player. He can go straight to UFA on a $7.5 mil x 1 year via the qualifying offer. All of that makes him an odd fit across the league, at least for premium value.
I can see that, but pair him with a #1 Center and you get a serious scoring threat.

I don't follow all the teams and know who is coming up in their systems. Maybe a team in the top 8 of their division needs more scoring for a cup run and has a young center that could be traded. Or a center that needs a change of scenery and still has the potential for top line.

IDK, just checking.

PS, still need a good young stay at home dman, someone that can help with the rebuild.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Given Columbus's needs you only give that up for a young franchise center, and which team is trading a 25 or younger established 1st line center?

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Given Columbus's needs you only give that up for a young franchise center, and which team is trading a 25 or younger established 1st line center?
One that somehow managed to get three? IDK, the Devils would be the closest to that off the top of my head.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
One that somehow managed to get three? IDK, the Devils would be the closest to that off the top of my head.
NJ isn't giving up their 1st any time soon unless it's part of a deal for a top goalie.

Hughes and Hischier are non-starters and Mercer (who tbh I think is better suited as a winger) isn't going to be on the table for a guy that only has 2 years left.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
NJ isn't giving up their 1st any time soon unless it's part of a deal for a top goalie.

Hughes and Hischier are non-starters and Mercer (who tbh I think is better suited as a winger) isn't going to be on the table for a guy that only has 2 years left.
I'm not getting the first part. I didn't say anything about NJ giving up their 1st round pick.

And yeah, I didn't think NJ would want to trade any of their centers (if Mercer is one, I'll take your word about the winger thing).

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I'm not getting the first part. I didn't say anything about NJ giving up their 1st round pick.

And yeah, I didn't think NJ would want to trade any of their centers (if Mercer is one, I'll take your word about the winger thing).
I misunderstood the OP, I though they were giving up Laine and looking for a 1st+ in return.

Mercer is playing #3 center out of necessity. Great young player, but he sucks at faceoffs and his "good defensively" tag is only relative to other 19 year olds. He's tenacious but chases way too much and often finds himself in really bad position. I think letting him skate on the wing would really streamline his game. He reminds me a lot of a young Zach Parise, who was similarly drafted as a center but converted to LW early in his career.

Laine kind of makes sense in theory for NJ but we have many bigger problems to worry about - goaltending, coaching, defensive depth, secondary scoring. He doesn't really move the needle at the moment. We are a few years away from making a big splash for a top line scorer.

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Given Columbus's needs you only give that up for a young franchise center
I believe that is the point of this entire thread.

and which team is trading a 25 or younger established 1st line center?
I would be very surprised if anyone did. (I wouldn't have started the thread for that reason, myself.) But you can't win if you don't try, so. :dunno:

Reactions: Dumais

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad