Proposal: Lafreniere for 1st pick Habs 2022

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I think it is completely reasonable to overvalue the center prospect here and look at something like laf plus nils lundqvist for shane wright and maybe a 2nd rounder if both teams had an appetite to make a deal. NYR could really use the center to compliment their roster of young wingers and d men.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
I think it is completely reasonable to overvalue the center prospect here and look at something like laf plus nils lundqvist for shane wright and maybe a 2nd rounder if both teams had an appetite to make a deal. NYR could really use the center to compliment their roster of young wingers and d men.

The Habs also need the center more than the flashy winger

Reactions: Whalers Fan

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Cocky post? I don’t think that at all to be honest. I am usually a pretty critical poster on prospects.

Laf is a special talent IMO. He is not yet a special player in the NHL, I think he will become one. HFboards — always — overrate production both ways. Laf is a first overall pick. In different circumstances he would have been handed a spot on a No 1 PP. He would without any single doubt put up half decent stats in that environment. In that case people who doesn’t really understand the game would be overeating his progress instead.

You legit told the other poster that because he hasn't played hockey he doesnt understand why Lafreniere is better than Hoglander. Cocky and rude af - not to mention not a legitimate argument as to analyzing hockey.

Also, Lafreniere HAS NOT been better than Hoglander. Which stands to reason why your 'I played hockey' argument has already fallen over.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

The Habs also need the center more than the flashy winger

I dont disagree, I was just saying from a value standpoint for the people suggesting a 1 for 1 it wouldnt work. NYR would have to add IF it were to happen even from a value standpoint

Although squeezing every drop of value approach would suggest hold off and once the one weak link in LaF's game develops, he becomes a terror and his value skyrockets, even still, a deal of LaF + 1 top blue chip for the pick -- if it is Wright --- with a +, makes sense.
SW is a C
resets some cap

could be a winner or loser but worth it if it is Wright.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Hope you are joking here

If you prefer to give a top 5 draft for a winger who does not correspond to a need (Montreal is armed for this position), who has not yet proven anything in NHL and who will have to resign for a big price - it's your choice not the mine.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
You distorted my argument. I said the box-score stats, which is what most people look at, suggest one thing that’s incorrect and would be recognized by these people if they watched him play. I don’t know who these Rangers fans are that you cite, but I don’t care. I watch the team play and have my opinion, if you or others disagree.
You have one post after another saying it's your opinion and it could be this, this, and this. Everyone was waiting for some evidence to back it up like advance stats that would paint a different picture than the box score, but instead we got a bunch of unlucky vs. Linemates, and you think that's enough to shutdown "struggling" talk. Really this is lol stuff here.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You have one post after another saying it's your opinion and it could be this, this, and this. Everyone was waiting for some evidence to back it up like advance stats that would paint a different picture than the box score, but instead we got a bunch of unlucky vs. Linemates, and you think that's enough to shutdown "struggling" talk. Really this is lol stuff here.

Your argument is so bad that you claim I didn’t make an argument, and then explain my argument in the same sentence. It’s not my problem that it doesn’t suit your narrative.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Your argument is so bad that you claim I didn’t make an argument, and then explain my argument in the same sentence. It’s not my problem that it doesn’t suit your narrative.
You haven't answered my questions yet. Why can't Laffy Duck generate shot attempts at a better rate than Jason Dickinson? If that's too tough, could you elaborate on the way he's approaching the game? I'd be interested to know about his willingness to battle in the corners, how solid his shot looks when he does use it, and how he's trying to use his linemates.

You seem like you want to be perceived as knowledgeable, so these should be easy things to expand on.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

Overrateprospects

Dec 23, 2021
You legit told the other poster that because he hasn't played hockey he doesnt understand why Lafreniere is better than Hoglander. Cocky and rude af - not to mention not a legitimate argument as to analyzing hockey.

Also, Lafreniere HAS NOT been better than Hoglander. Which stands to reason why your 'I played hockey' argument has already fallen over.
I remember people hyping Laf up especially after World Juniors. He hasn’t shown much at NHL level to warrant the BS people were claiming about him. Every time he has the puck he passes puck off to someone or dumps it in the corner. I heard Nucks fans talking Hoglander up as a top 6 forward and in his 3rd season professionally since he was drafted has shown he is a bottom 6 forward at best.

Shane Wright doesn’t look great. He’s 24 in OHL scoring when he should be top 5 considering he’s getting drafted 1st next year. Even Laf did that and he’s a bust

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I heard Nucks fans talking Hoglander up as a top 6 forward and in his 3rd season professionally since he was drafted has shown he is a bottom 6 forward at best.
Hoglander has spent a lot of time on our 3rd line and wasn't getting PP time under Green. Even so, a 20-20 guy who has a good motor is more than a bottom-6 player on most teams.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I remember people hyping Laf up especially after World Juniors. He hasn’t shown much at NHL level to warrant the BS people were claiming about him. Every time he has the puck he passes puck off to someone or dumps it in the corner. I heard Nucks fans talking Hoglander up as a top 6 forward and in his 3rd season professionally since he was drafted has shown he is a bottom 6 forward at best.

Shane Wright doesn’t look great. He’s 24 in OHL scoring when he should be top 5 considering he’s getting drafted 1st next year. Even Laf did that and he’s a bust

I think Hoglander will be a very good 3rd liner who can also play top 6 minutes and not look out of place if there are injuries. He looks like a very good role player - has a good motor, a very good forecheck and surprisingly strong especially for his size. He will not get pushed around in this league. And at this point he's been a better NHL'er than Lafreniere

I have no doubts Laf has enormous potential and all this doom and gloom circling his play is way too early.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
You haven't answered my questions yet. Why can't Laffy Duck generate shot attempts at a better rate than Jason Dickinson? If that's too tough, could you elaborate on the way he's approaching the game? I'd be interested to know about his willingness to battle in the corners, how solid his shot looks when he does use it, and how he's trying to use his linemates.

You seem like you want to be perceived as knowledgeable, so these should be easy things to expand on.
You won't get an answer, dude is in serious denial about Lafreniere

Reactions: LeapOnOver

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Every thread on this website you trash Lafreniere. I’m in denial though for suggesting that a first overall pick may be better than people calling him a bust less than 90 games into his career.
No, but you are in denial for making ludicrous claims like Lafreniere is better than Stutzle, or that Lafreniere is a victim of bad luck.

Lafreniere has very obviously disappointed and is very obviously no longer worth anywhere near where he was drafted. That doesn't make him a bust, but you are in denial if you believe otherwise.

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
I dislike the excuse ‘the organization’ screwed up a player. The responsibility is on the player to continue to progress past their junior days.

I am sure that a former player like Chris Drury and a wealthy team like the NY Rangers would ensure he has what he needs in terms of support.

If Alexis worked his ass off, had elite hockey IQ, was mentally focused, and performed then the NY Rangers would happily give him top line minutes and make him the star of the team.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Happily for (most) Habs Fans, Gorton probably doesn't care about acquiring a french player as much as previous regime. As is right now, this would be a terrible trade.

Reactions: draft day

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
No, but you are in denial for making ludicrous claims like Lafreniere is better than Stutzle, or that Lafreniere is a victim of bad luck.

Lafreniere has very obviously disappointed and is very obviously no longer worth anywhere near where he was drafted. That doesn't make him a bust, but you are in denial if you believe otherwise.

You are all about underlying metrics on so many things, but this is the topic you want to skip it. The underlying metrics suggest that Stuetzle and Lafreniere have been pretty even, if you account for the TOI and PP differences. And the underlying metrics also suggest that he's a victim of bad luck. Is the truth denial? Seems to me like not acknowledging it would be denial.

You are simply being way too reactionary. Lafreniere is less than 90 games into his career, and you think the whole draft has recalculated. You are setting yourself up to look really bad about this. You've put yourself into a corner as completely anti-Lafreniere, so much so that you now actively try to taunt people for pushing back against calling him a bust.

Reactions: dragnalus

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

This is like the only 1% chance I could see it being done.
I have no doubt LaF is going to be a special player. Even though he’s taking a little longer to get there then most would like.
99% rangers just do t deal him at all. If they do, and he hits his ceiling, they’ve traded their only 1OA pick in the last century and look like absolute schmucks.

why the 1% for Wright??
For NYR, Wright is a center, which we need desperately. He also has a high end ceiling.
He would also likely be the 1OA pick. So at least maybe, even if LaF becomes the better player in the long run, you can sell trading a 1OA for another 1OA to the fan base and not have them come after you with pitchforks like Frankenstein in the tower.....
Wright would also give NYR 3 extra years of an ELC deal while they are dealing with navigating tight to the cap.
Finally, he’s seems to be best buds with Othmann who is also ripping it up right now. It seems those 2 have nice chemistry, and you’d hope that would continue to the NHL.

However, I don’t see Gorts dealing a 1OA if he gets it. He wouldn’t offer 1OA to Buff for a pre-injury Jack Eichel.
I doubt he’d do it for Laf, who hasn’t lit the world on fire to date.

for NYR, they just have too much invested in LaF currently. It would be an absolute disaster if we watched and put up with/ got him thru the growing pains of being a responsible 2-way 200FT winger just to trade him and see him possibly explode offensively after we make the deal.
Right when they are trying to make a go of it while Panarin/Kreider/Zibby/Shesty are all in their primes and signed.
Not too mention adding playoff tested vets in Goodrow/Blais/Reaves.
I’m not too worried about Fox/lindgren/kakko etc. Fox will still be amazing when laf/Kakko are in their mid 20’s. But if they have any plans on making a go of it in the playoffs with this core, Adding Wright just to develop his game for 2 years would suck.
Is there a chance Wright comes out of the gate on fire?? Sure, but I’m not counting on it. It’s a lot to ask from an 18 yr old. He’d likely get top 6 min and a lot of PP time with that habs while they are still rebuilding, but like we’ve seen with LaF/kakko on a competitive playoff team those minutes are hard to come by when a lot of other pieces are in place on the PP and in the top 6.
At this point I’m time, neither Kakko or LaF are a defensive liability on the ice.
That’s about the only part of their game for sure that hasn’t without a doubt gotten better since the days they were drafted. Kakko is finally getting some puck luck and his offense is starting to come with a bigger role this year. I expect the same for LaF in the near future.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
That doesn't explain why you won't answer me.

The reason I won't answer you is that you have been completely smug for someone that doesn't understand the team. Lafreniere isn't competing with Kreider for a power play spot. How anyone could suggest this and pretend to understand what they are assessing is beyond me. It is so fundamentally wrong to suggest this that I've given up trying to reason with your logic. You are looking at box scores and trying to act knowledgeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad