Post-Game Talk: Ladies and Gents- The Core of the Maple Leafs does it again. Leafs lose

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This whole era seems like a Groundhog Day lacking any kind of maturation or self-reflection the way the core guys operate. They're just deeply in their rut and have such established patterns of playing that you can basically schedule a trap game, losing streak, hot streak, personal ups and downs. It's just funny how this group is so set in their ways, and how those ways always take you to that Game 7 showdown. Maybe we just have to accept this as our Thornton-Marleau era. We did bring those goofs in to mentor this group.

You know what causes that? Giving kids the keys to the kingdom for years and years via a coach that will let them mostly do what they want. They are broken as a core. Keep the best of what you have and let the rest go..

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Rielly makes Tanev trash, having to bail him out all the time. Tanev needs to play with someone that plays the same style he does.
Rielly played with OEL this game and Tanev played with McCabe. Guess which pair looked better? I'm assuming you could guess the correct one seeing that they did score our only goal.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
You know what we should do at the end of this season? Run it back. 🫢

Honestly though, 8 games us a small sample size. You're looking at roughly 10% and we haven't been brutal in every game.

It's just unfortunate a Leaf quality seems to be consistently having a VERY bad game every 5-8 games. We've never been known as a team that shows 100% compete every night. Which is unfortunate.

We shall still see what the season brings, but I am already one of the guys that's been done with the core 4 for a while. I don't think it will work, and I'm honestly a bit excited about all that Tavares Marner cap space coming up.

But again, no cart before the horse, let's see how this season plays out. Seems every other Canadian franchise has lucked their way into the finals lately (Habs/Oilers). Maybe this is our year baby!!!@ lol

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Why did we hire Marc Savard? He left a terrible power play in Calgary. He was a junior coach, had an unspectacular two years in Calgary and that makes him qualified to run the PP for this franchise who should be able to outspend anyone?

Reactions: 1specter

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
download.png

I just made this...Just gonna leave it here for fun..
Hopefully I don't use it often...Hopefully.

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
The Leafs are trash.

I really think they're in danger of missing the playoffs this year. Sucks that our first rounder this year is going to Chicago because we needed the services of the great Jake McCabe. What a f'ing joke

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
Why did we hire Marc Savard? He left a terrible power play in Calgary. He was a junior coach, had an unspectacular two years in Calgary and that makes him qualified to run the PP for this franchise who should be able to outspend anyone?

He's Berube's boy. Maybe he carries the Nintendo Switch like Kerfoot did for Matthews.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Whenever I tuned in, the Leafs were just doing the Keefe perimeter movement and St louis seemed to always getting high % chances.

The one goal we scored, both wingers were planted in front of Binnington. Was a play we'd rarely if ever saw with Keefe.

Manny Maholtra ran it a few years ago.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Keep panic and stay frustrated!

Or wait 20 games.. no cow on the ice yet(swedish saying,but right now u might only see cows on the ice...)

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
The Leafs are trash.

I really think they're in danger of missing the playoffs this year. Sucks that our first rounder this year is going to Chicago because we needed the services of the great Jake McCabe. What a f'ing joke

We’re not missing the playoffs.

These games are ugly, but it’s early.

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
It was going to take time for Berube to get the nonsense out of the game for some of these guys. It's looked effective on some and not on others at this point. Marner is not getting it, or not buying in. He does not play direct north south hockey. He never has, asking him to break those habits and that style now, in his prime, is going to be difficult.

I'm not judging anything until game 20. If they are a .500 team by game 20, management doesn't have a choice at that point, something significant will have to be done.

Mr_Fun

FFS!
Oct 7, 2006
BC
Whenever I tuned in, the Leafs were just doing the Keefe perimeter movement and St louis seemed to always getting high % chances.

The one goal we scored, both wingers were planted in front of Binnington. Was a play we'd rarely if ever saw with Keefe.

Manny Maholtra ran it a few years ago.

Lots of shots, but not enough from high danger areas (or so it seemed). Bennington made some good saves, but our execution - as in ability to create quality chances - was just terrible.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Couldn't the exact same thing be said about New Jersey after they lost to the Leafs at the start of this season?
Did New Jersey keep losing in 1st rounds, and lay an egg for their captain in the first game back. How about losing to a zamboni driver?
The fact you think it's comparable is embarrassing.

Better Pt% and win % and they're also missing Barkov and Tkachuk. They've also had a harder schedule than us, Leafs have no excuse losing to Montreal, Columbus and St.Louis.
Florida is just a much better team. Not even close between the two teams as much as the user will say it is.

Reactions: 1specter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad