Speculation: LA Kings Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Nice jobs Seattle.. they lost one of their best guys due to shitty hit from Makar and finished off the Avs.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Look at the size of Seattle's D core.

Then compare to the Kings...
Oh yeah I noticed last year in the first game ever - was like a bunch of redwood trees out there... Lets sign Soucy kills two birds w one stone (get bigger make them smaller)

To be fair, Avs missed Landeskog and Nachuskin .. dont have Kadri this year and the other russian is gone... so they are not as good though I thought they would get by Seattle.. I agree that Seattle is built for playoff hockey and the Kings are built for the regular season.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Honestly it's kind of stupid and I don't have much to say this summer because I guarantee it's the exact same things I said in 2022 and 2021. f*** I'll go back and copy them verbatim tomorrow :laugh:

Except I'm sure I was all in on petersen, fair warning there
Same. Big supporter of Petersen, and obviously hope he can regain his form.

But I'm pretty sure my criticisms will remain the same from the past few seasons.

Reactions: Telos

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
The biggest story this offseason may be off the ice. During last night’s post game, Faust referenced the uncertainty when it comes to who is broadcasting the games locally next season. The owner of the Kings RSN is threatening to take the Phoenix Suns to court for breach of contract over the team’s decision to air local games on the equivalent to KCOP in SoCal.

You could see AEG have to step up and pay for broadcast costs out of pocket plus a streaming app. Unfortunately, they don’t have a company like Gray TV in this market to split production costs with. Frankly, the local Spanish language channels are better positioned to broadcast live sports than other OTA channels.

Uncle Phil is a real estate tycoon first and foremost. His forays into entertainment products back that investment. I don’t see him getting into the media game for real. Beckerman’s experience running a concert hall doesn’t count if you’re trying to get consumers to pay to watch a Kings game. Luc has no answers here either.

The flop of the BSN D2C app is further reason the Kings will look to massively cut costs on the media front if they lose BSW coverage. I think this causes good and bad things for long time fans.

Good, Faust is too expensive and bounces to a national broadcaster. Nick and Daryl take over broadcast play by play, with Foxy between the benches in the Pierre McGuire spot.

Bad, Kings games going into OT are pre-emptied by Seinfeld re-runs because they draw better ratings. The iHeart stream drops to Spanish language only.

Nick should’ve always been the guy to take over for Bob. When that day comes, I will consider our cosmic debt for winning the Cup on Friday the 13th finally paid.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Arvidsson-Kopi-Kempe
Moore-Danault-Iafallo
Fiala-Byfield-Vilardi
Grundstrum-Lizzotte-Kupari

Anderson-Doughty
Gavrikov-Clarke
Bjnortfot-Roy
Spence
Kapisoro
Copley

Is this even possible with cap being what it is at? Durzi and Walker getting moved gives them some more cap space.

I think we need to move one of Moore/Iafallo as well as Walker and Durzi to have a chance in hell at retaining Gavrikov.

Frankly, unless Gavrikov just overplays his hand on the open market by asking for too much, I don’t think there’s a chance in hell he re-signs. And by all accounts, the Blake brain trust has already decided to run Copley/Peterson next season.

It’s just such a mess. Who knows what the f*** will happen. Blake surprised everyone with the Quick trade so who knows what else he tries. Maybe something materializes over the summer that let’s him get out from under Peterson. Maybe Todd eats too much eucalyptus and falls out of his tree. Who knows

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Listening to Blake, Todd's coming back for his final year of his contact but not ready to extend him. Seems unsure he can resign Gavrikov due to cap and Clarke will probably be on the roster.Imo Byfield needs to go back to Ontario for the year and bring someone else up. Will the first rounder be a waste of a pick after all? Probably.

Last edited:

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
If Todd did a great job by losing to the same team as last year in fewer games, then by definition, it falls on Blake.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Uh, if Byfield belongs in the AHL next season, he most certainly is a bust. No 2OA comes back from that.
Kempe took a few years to put it together. Look if the Kings had someone else not name Kempe or Kopitar on line 1 being more productive, series would've been different. Byfield for whatever reason can't put it together consistently night in and night out.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
If Todd did a great job by losing to the same team as last year in fewer games, then by definition, it falls on Blake.
If Blake is being serious and expects Cal Petersen to be on the Kings roster next year he'll be fired if Kings miss the playoffs and Todd will follow no doubt.

Reactions: GameNight

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Another note. I just remembered the Blake’s comment about the team not having holes in the roster. Honestly, how f***ing stupid do you have to be? His entire hope rests on Kopitars shoulder because there’s NO ONE to replace him and it’s not even close. Byfield would be lucky top out as a 3rd line center. What is the plan here Blake ?

Reactions: ibleedkings

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
My off-season plan:

1-Upgrade coaching. Bribe Quenneville
2- Resign Gabrikov and upgrade D in general
3- Upgrade Goaltending
4- Rub one out
5- Trade some of our excess parts for picks and get younger and hungrier
6- Bring in some physical players on D and F. Preferably someone with at least 4 confirmed kills

Last edited:

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
My off-season plan:

1-Upgrade coaching. Bribe Quenneville
2- Resign Gabrikov and upgrade D in general
3- Upgrade Goaltending
4- Rub one out
5- Trade some of our excess parts for picks and get younger and hungrier
6- Bring in some physical players on D and F. Preferably someone with at least 4 confirmed kills
Quenneville can go f himself.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Look if the Kings had someone else not name Kempe or Kopitar on line 1 being more productive, series would've been different.
Thats what you thought about the series? Not about the penalty kill or holding a lead?
Byfields 4 points in 6 games along with Hughes was the most out of all those rookies/young players a couple people have listed above.

Reactions: Schrute farms

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Petersen to the Hawks makes too much sense. Chicago wont be on his no trade list. From Iowa played at ND will be able to stay in the NHL. They have the room to take his full caphit. The question would be the return for taking him. 2 years at 5 million. Is there any comparable returns?

Last edited:
Reactions: Lt Dan

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Petersen to the Hawks makes too much sense. Chicago wont be on his no trade list. From Iowa played at ND will be able to stay in the NHL. They have the room to take his full caphit. The question would be the return for taking him. 2 years at 5 million. Is there any comparable returns?
There is no reason to give up any asset valuable enough to encourage that deal for one year of cap problems. A year from today and this is a minor issue at worst.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
There is no reason to give up any asset valuable enough to encourage that deal for one year of cap problems. A year from today and this is a minor issue at worst.
I some what agree but figured you would not want to "waste" a year or two while Kopitar and Doughty are still playing at a high level just to save an asset that isnt a sure thing.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Maybe look at the trade market for a G, if rumours are true and Hellybuck wants out, you open up the cupboard and say how much....gonna be a 1st involved there, which 3 1sts in a row, is a really really tough sell, but if it's a 1st, an A prospect (not Clarke/Byfield/Spence) and Durzi/Roy/Walker for Hellybuck and Lowry (if he's not a UFA etc) then I think you really have to think hard on that....
I dont think he'll look at Hella1$ too expensive aav and the assets - he's bleeding 1sts like a stuck pig as u mentioned (I think mentally he cant see spending until Cal is bought out next year). But if they offered to take all those redundant assets off our hands, for sure you would consider it.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I some what agree but figured you would not want to "waste" a year or two while Kopitar and Doughty are still playing at a high level just to save an asset that isnt a sure thing.
The Kings have been trying that for 9 years now, it was time to cut bait 7 years ago. This is just running out the string.

The correct move would be to offer Kopitar a chance at another Cup and retain 50% in a deal and stop this ridiculous chase. Arvidsson and Roy should be dealt at the deadline, if not sooner.

This should have been their big chance at stepping up, but they approache the series as though they were just lucky to be on the ice with Edmonton. They capitulated instead of trying to dictate. There really is no reason to give them a 10th shot at success when they have flooded their cap with medium-sized deals for medium-level players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad