Speculation: LA Kings Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I dont think he'll look at Hella1$ too expensive aav and the assets - he's bleeding 1sts like a stuck pig as u mentioned (I think mentally he cant see spending until Cal is bought out next year). But if they offered to take all those redundant assets off our hands, for sure you would consider it.

If he's available, you HAVE to kick the tires, you just have to......I agree, it might not be realistic, but then, look at Chycrun and what happened there....

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
The Kings have been trying that for 9 years now, it was time to cut bait 7 years ago. This is just running out the string.

The correct move would be to offer Kopitar a chance at another Cup and retain 50% in a deal and stop this ridiculous chase. Arvidsson and Roy should be dealt at the deadline, if not sooner.

This should have been their big chance at stepping up, but they approache the series as though they were just lucky to be on the ice with Edmonton. They capitulated instead of trying to dictate. There really is no reason to give them a 10th shot at success when they have flooded their cap with medium-sized deals for medium-level players.
you obviously have much more knowledge of your own team but looking in from the outside. LA is very good they just ran into the two best players in the world. If you had some goaltending theres a shot for a long run/cup. Byfield taking a step and Clarke coming in....

LA is in a wayyy better position than most of the league.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
you obviously have much more knowledge of your own team but looking in from the outside. LA is very good they just ran into the two best players in the world. If you had some goaltending theres a shot for a long run/cup. Byfield taking a step and Clarke coming in....

Giving way too much credit........people think this team is dogshit on this board bud

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
My off-season plan:

1-Upgrade coaching. Bribe Quenneville
2- Resign Gabrikov and upgrade D in general
3- Upgrade Goaltending
4- Rub one out
5- Trade some of our excess parts for picks and get younger and hungrier
6- Bring in some physical players on D and F. Preferably someone with at least 4 confirmed kills
Unfortunately, if you are looking for four confirmed kills, Maverick is the only ace out there at this time.

merlin_207080559_d302b636-070e-4293-8150-3426e34db3fa-superJumbo.jpg

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
If he's available, you HAVE to kick the tires, you just have to......I agree, it might not be realistic, but then, look at Chycrun and what happened there....
Well you mentioned Lowry, that would fill a big need to get some size and fill the 3C role that is flapping in the wind... maybe WPG is a good dancing partner. Someone mentioned they need RD...

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
My off-season plan:

1-Upgrade coaching. Bribe Quenneville
2- Resign Gabrikov and upgrade D in general
3- Upgrade Goaltending
4- Rub one out
5- Trade some of our excess parts for picks and get younger and hungrier
6- Bring in some physical players on D and F. Preferably someone with at least 4 confirmed kills
Quenneville might be a PR nightmare.

If we don't retain either or Korpisalo or Gavrikov, Blake better have a really good f/ing plan. Because we would be taking a step back.

Reactions: YP44

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007

hmm i guess it was a correct assessment to think it didn't make sense to sign Danault, while having Kopitar getting older

we have $17m tied in Kopi Dano Liz, and no #1C

ah well, not gonna stress about something that Blake Luc and McLellan don't care about

let's aim for 10 yrs of early playoff exits! that sounds more fun

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ

You can keep this idea on your board.

You already started it there.

LA fans have no interest to trade our 1st round pick for 3 years in the row.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Curious to watch this off-season play out. Just not good enough all the way thru the organization. Definitely some positives, but some areas where they need to get much better. Hopefully, those areas are addressed. If not, then it'll be tough to get too excited about next season.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The Sharks may have an opening in net with Reimer likely walking so if the Kings are willing to pony up a 2nd round pick with Petersen and take either a cheap roster player like MacDonald back or take one of our minor league goalies like Mann. I would consider a swap for Simek or Labanc but you guys don't have a lot expiring so I didn't think you'd have any interest there.

Reactions: YP44

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
There is no reason to give up any asset valuable enough to encourage that deal for one year of cap problems. A year from today and this is a minor issue at worst.
That doesn't mean they won't do it.

Kopitar 1 year left on his contract. TMac 1 year left on his contract.

If they want to make the team as good as possible for this upcoming season, moving Petersen + 1st makes sense from that perspective.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Quenneville might be a PR nightmare.

If we don't retain either or Korpisalo or Gavrikov, Blake better have a really good f/ing plan. Because we would be taking a step back.
Might? It would be a public-relations nightmare. He should be nowhere near any hockey team at any level. What happened was not that long ago and should never be forgotten. This isn’t a case of looking at it differently through todays standards and views. It’s was not ok then, it wasn’t ok in 2000, it wasn’t ok in 1980. What he and the staff in Chicago did (or didn’t do) should shame them all forever.

I can say without any hyperbole, that I would stop following the team if he was coach I don’t care if he’s the best coach on the planet. Some things are far more important than Hockey. The message it would give to every Kings fan that has been a victim of some sort of abuse (of which there will be many) is appalling. A complete FU.

Not having a go at you @bmr, more of a general point on the idea.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
There's a lot of talk about people being disappointed with QB.

But man, I sure was disappointed with Kupari in the playoffs. A 1st round pick. 23 years old. D5 year. And you can't even handle 4th line duty? His line was damn near unplayable in the playoffs at times.

I don't think he's a center at the NHL level. He should probably be moved to wing next year.

I wish I could transplant Lizotte's head on to Kupari's body.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
There's a lot of talk about people being disappointed with QB.

But man, I sure was disappointed with Kupari in the playoffs. A 1st round pick. 23 years old. D5 year. And you can't even handle 4th line duty? His line was damn near unplayable in the playoffs at times.

I don't think he's a center at the NHL level. He should probably be moved to wing next year.

Agreed. People forget that Kupari once had top six ambitions. Hitting the post in that tied game two basically sums up his career.

This organization really needs to figure out how to properly develop its first round centers. We can’t keep converting every center to a wing.

We can’t go into 24/25 with a re-signed 38 year old Kopitar and a 32 year old Danault as our top two centers.

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
Going to be a little more optimistic than most other posts I'm seeing - Tough end to the season but I actually think things look pretty good going into next year. Or at least, it should be pretty easy to accomplish what is needed in the offseason to ensure the team is still REALLY good next year (probably even better than this year).

Off-season priorities:
  • Clear cap space
    • Trade Walker
    • Trade Durzi
    • Trade Petersen contract (if possible)
    • Trade Iafallo (only if absolutely necessary)
  • Re-sign Vilardi to a 3 year bridge deal
  • Sign a goaltender (Korpisalo or other)
  • Sign a LHD (Gavrikov or other)
  • Re-sign Bjornfot to a 1-2 year deal (think he could be underrated for next year - Will be a significant improvement over Edler IMO)
  • Fire Todd (On the fence on this one, but a different/better coach would certainly help)
Off-season LHD wishlist:
  • Gavrikov
  • Ryan Graves
  • Carson Soucy
  • Niko Mikkola
  • Erik Gustafsson (?)
Off-season G wishlist:
  • Korpisalo (?) (not sold he's 'the guy' for us)
  • Jarry (?)
  • Swayman (RFA but maybe could finesse it?)
  • Varlamov
  • Alex Lyon (?)
  • Laurent Brossoit
Potential/hopeful 2023/24 opening night lineup:
Kempe - Kopitar - Arvidsson
Fiala - Byfield - Vilardi
Moore - Danault - Kaliyev
Grundstrom - Lizotte - Iafallo/prospect

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov/Other LHD - Clarke
Bjornfot/Moverare - Roy

Korpisalo/Other goaltender
Copley

Assuming Byfield takes a step forward, Kaliyev improves even slightly, and Clarke is legit..... The lineup above is legitimately very good. I realize that's quite a lot to assume, but I have a lot of faith in all 3 of those players. Clarke looks like he'll be a superstar sooner rather than later. Despite some of the disappointment, Byfield did show improvement this year and is still just 20 yeas old with a lotttttt that he can and will improve on - His game is still very raw/unpolished but he'll get there. And Kaliyev is still only 21 years old and has already played 137 NHL games - He's also still rounding out his game and (especially with more ice time and better linemates) will improve.

I realize the 1 thing I'm not really addressing is the 'need' to add size/toughness - That definitely could be a problem but I would likely try to address that next trade deadline depending on how things are looking.

Shellz

May 6, 2009
California
He’s a way better Coach than Koala. Not even close. Don’t care about all the other bullshit people get their panties in a wad over.

Of course you wouldn’t care. But, any human with with a decent bone in their body will say that Quenville completely f***ed up. He doesn’t deserve to do what he loves anymore.

• Haha
Reactions: ibleedkings

bland

Jul 1, 2004
That doesn't mean they won't do it.

Kopitar 1 year left on his contract. TMac 1 year left on his contract.

If they want to make the team as good as possible for this upcoming season, moving Petersen + 1st makes sense from that perspective.
Have you gone mad?

This F*** Around Gang couldn't get out of the first round if their jobs depended on it.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Kings need
Going to be a little more optimistic than most other posts I'm seeing - Tough end to the season but I actually think things look pretty good going into next year. Or at least, it should be pretty easy to accomplish what is needed in the offseason to ensure the team is still REALLY good next year (probably even better than this year).

Off-season priorities:
  • Clear cap space
    • Trade Walker
    • Trade Durzi
    • Trade Petersen contract (if possible)
    • Trade Iafallo (only if absolutely necessary)
  • Re-sign Vilardi to a 3 year bridge deal
  • Sign a goaltender (Korpisalo or other)
  • Sign a LHD (Gavrikov or other)
  • Re-sign Bjornfot to a 1-2 year deal (think he could be underrated for next year - Will be a significant improvement over Edler IMO)
  • Fire Todd (On the fence on this one, but a different/better coach would certainly help)
Off-season LHD wishlist:
  • Gavrikov
  • Ryan Graves
  • Carson Soucy
  • Niko Mikkola
  • Erik Gustafsson (?)
Off-season G wishlist:
  • Korpisalo (?) (not sold he's 'the guy' for us)
  • Jarry (?)
  • Swayman (RFA but maybe could finesse it?)
  • Varlamov
  • Alex Lyon (?)
  • Laurent Brossoit
Potential/hopeful 2023/24 opening night lineup:
Kempe - Kopitar - Arvidsson
Fiala - Byfield - Vilardi
Moore - Danault - Kaliyev
Grundstrom - Lizotte - Iafallo/prospect

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov/Other LHD - Clarke
Bjornfot/Moverare - Roy

Korpisalo/Other goaltender
Copley

Assuming Byfield takes a step forward, Kaliyev improves even slightly, and Clarke is legit..... The lineup above is legitimately very good. I realize that's quite a lot to assume, but I have a lot of faith in all 3 of those players. Clarke looks like he'll be a superstar sooner rather than later. Despite some of the disappointment, Byfield did show improvement this year and is still just 20 yeas old with a lotttttt that he can and will improve on - His game is still very raw/unpolished but he'll get there. And Kaliyev is still only 21 years old and has already played 137 NHL games - He's also still rounding out his game and (especially with more ice time and better linemates) will improve.

I realize the 1 thing I'm not really addressing is the 'need' to add size/toughness - That definitely could be a problem but I would likely try to address that next trade deadline depending on how things are looking.
Good post, but AI is not a 4th line player and need some grit.

Reactions: KopitarGOAT420

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Have you gone mad?

This F*** Around Gang couldn't get out of the first round if their jobs depended on it.
You're shooting the messenger.

I'm not saying I support the move. I'm just saying I can see them doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad