Speculation: LA Kings Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Happy Lemieux is no longer part of the team? Wow. I would say he was one of my fav Kings in the past few years. He had balls and stood up for everyone and basically was a middle weight agitator who, once MacDermid left, was stuck with all the tough guy duties.

Jim Fox complimented him many times for fighting for his teammates and Quick came to his aid during the Tkachuk biting incident.

Same with Avery and Lappy over the years - these players got stuck with carrying all the weight and were popular with the fans.

I met Lemieux at the season ticket event and dude couldn’t be warmer or friendlier, big fan for life.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Happy Lemieux is no longer part of the team? Wow. I would say he was one of my fav Kings in the past few years. He had balls and stood up for everyone and basically was a middle weight agitator who, once MacDermid left, was stuck with all the tough guy duties.

Jim Fox complimented him many times for fighting for his teammates and Quick came to his aid during the Tkachuk biting incident.

Same with Avery and Lappy over the years - these players got stuck with carrying all the weight and were popular with the fans.

I met Lemieux at the season ticket event and dude couldn’t be warmer or friendlier, big fan for life.

The team doesn't need a helmet puncher, it needs a collective spirit to aggressively push through trouble instead of passively caving into it.

That's all on the leadership group, and I suspect its also the reason that kids and outsiders with more firey temperments like Lemieux (and kids like Vilardi) aren't integrated into bigger roles.

Not that they are "bad guys" just that its bound to happen when you give loooooooong timers that much money and say-so. The teams resemble the leaders, and the Kings leader unfortunately leans into stoic and dispassionate instead of aggressive.

This is very much Anze Kopitar's team. Outstanding in some technical areas, but lacking in passion and aggression. Its no surprise that they are not successful, those aren't traits you ideally want in a leader. The Kings have had multiple opportunities to move on from that now, and they will not advance any further than this until they do so. Its just a holding pattern.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Our 4th line of Lemieux - Lizotte - Brown against the Oilers in the Playoffs would be considered heavy compared to our current team.

may-06-playoffs-round-1-game-3-oilers-at-kings.jpg

edmonton-oilers-defeated-the-los-angeles-kings-8-2-during-game-3-of-an-nhl-hockey-stanley-cup.jpg

Sybil227

Jun 16, 2004
Santa Clarita
They signed a contract with Bally's for the broadcasts. 63 games on Bally's and nine on KCAL - 9. Rest are national games.

Pretty disappointed. I'm a psycho that just bought a new place last month and the HOA includes Spectrum. Looks like they don't carry Bally's so I'm still in the same boat of doing the ESPN + VPN trick.

At least they ditched "DAGGER!" because the contract with Sinclair ended just so they could sign back up with them. That's kind of amusing.
Spectrum carries Ballys. It's Fox Sports West 1 & 2. Ballys bought the naming rights for the FS network, but it still shows as Fox Sports in Spectrum's lineup.

FrozenKing18

Where is my super suit?
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
Found this on LAK Reddit... If you want a picture of who PLD is, and will be for the Kings, this is a good interview, really current, long and talks a lot about the Kings. I've never seen these guys before, but they are local, and seem to have a lot of NHL/Kings connections:

This is a good listen. I recommend it. 57:20 to get to LA Kings talk.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Found this on LAK Reddit... If you want a picture of who PLD is, and will be for the Kings, this is a good interview, really current, long and talks a lot about the Kings. I've never seen these guys before, but they are local, and seem to have a lot of NHL/Kings connections:

He’s seems like a very well spoken humble guy. Didn’t know he changed his number to 80 to pay respects to his teammate.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

glad you liked him and he was nice to you at an event. I didn't enjoy watching him play as a king, he picked odd spots to assert himself, but I was actually warming up to him till the biting incident.

I am a hypocrite though as I loved Avery and still wear his kings jersey.

Reactions: Johnny Utah

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Hey Johnny... this morning Todd McLellan was asked why Doty is going to Australia with the team when he doesn't have an NHL contract.

He said

"Jacob kind of stands for the fabric of what we are. He's an individual that's been here and he's been shepherding the organization down there, taking care of individuals for a long time, he gets injured and he spends an unreal amount of time for the past season trying to completely rehab. Had he NOT been injured he might very well be on an NHL contract. So we want to recognize that as an organization, we want to reward him for doing his work, and we'd like to see if we eventually DO sign Jacob to an NHL contract and perhaps use him during the year. So there's a lot of reasons for bringing him... "

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
then give him the Avery treatment and just send him away. Why pay a pick to bring in someone shit to rid of Lemieux?
Very happy Lemieux is no longer on the team.

Same. Those who complain we no longer have toughness because he's gone fail to realize he was a liability and penalty magnet. No leeway with the refs. And for a team that struggle with the pk, he's not worth the goal against when he take another stupid rep penalty.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Hey Johnny... this morning Todd McLellan was asked why Doty is going to Australia with the team when he doesn't have an NHL contract.

He said

"Jacob kind of stands for the fabric of what we are. He's an individual that's been here and he's been shepherding the organization down there, taking care of individuals for a long time, he gets injured and he spends an unreal amount of time for the past season trying to completely rehab. Had he NOT been injured he might very well be on an NHL contract. So we want to recognize that as an organization, we want to reward him for doing his work, and we'd like to see if we eventually DO sign Jacob to an NHL contract and perhaps use him during the year. So there's a lot of reasons for bringing him... "

Hell ya!!

Thanks for the share Jesse.

Agree on all points. Hope he sees some time in la.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
I’m convinced that Dean sold this organizations soul to the devil for the 2012-2014 years.

I’m not mad about it, but it’s the only possible explanation for the yearly injury parade for our best prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad