Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
We all were just as dumb as kids, we just didn’t have the internet to document it. Durzi is the toughest player on the team, and your generations raised his generation and the ones under it. The pearl clutching about “hockey’s values” based on social media marketing is hilarious given the history of cringe-worthy hockey ads going back to the 80s.

Last edited:

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
Honestly, if Kopi is getting too slow for 1C (he already cannot keep up with Fiala and Kempe and it is one of the chemistry issues) and Byfield is not ready to take 1C, it wouldn'be a bad idea to put Kempe back there.
Yes he may be better at wing, but Kempe finally had his breakout year, last year...he was not great at C or W , just 2 years ago. He was fine at center at the age of 21, when he had Toffoli and Pearosn, when Carter had his achilles injury. Kempe is so much better now and could do it. He was 21 and had some top offensive numbers in the league, the first 2 months he was at center. Is he a better winger? Perhaps, but by next year (or even now) he would be a better #1C than a 36 year old Kopitar would. The Kings need speed down the middle. Kopi is the slowest #1 center of all 32 teams and that's a problem.

I also think Vilardi could do it, considering he was #2 center, 2 yrs ago and was slower, not at full strength, not great defensively. He's much better now, in all areas of the game. He had an uninspired Carter and AA on his line. He could excel at C now, with Fiala and Kempe on his wings. Easily. By next season, I would rather have Kempe or Vilardi there.

One thing that is criminal atm: one of your top 2 offensive forwards; Vilardi on line 3 with Lizotte and Arty.
It's just wrong. He needs more minutes and top 6 duty.

Fiala Kempe Vilardi
Iafallo Kopitar Arty
Moore Danault Arvidsson
Grundstrom Lizotte Fagemo
Lemieux

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Honestly, if Kopi is getting too slow for 1C (he already cannot keep up with Fiala and Kempe and it is one of the chemistry issues) and Byfield is not ready to take 1C, it wouldn'be a bad idea to put Kempe back there.
Yes he may be better at wing, but Kempe finally had his breakout year, last year...he was not great at C or W , just 2 years ago. He was fine at center at the age of 21, when he had Toffoli and Pearosn, when Carter had his achilles injury. Kempe is so much better now and could do it. He was 21 and had some top offensive numbers in the league, the first 2 months he was at center. Is he a better winger? Perhaps, but by next year (or even now) he would be a better #1C than a 36 year old Kopitar would. The Kings need speed down the middle. Kopi is the slowest #1 center of all 32 teams and that's a problem.

I also think Vilardi could do it, considering he was #2 center, 2 yrs ago and was slower, not at full strength, not great defensively. He's much better now, in all areas of the game. He had an uninspired Carter and AA on his line. He could excel at C now, with Fiala and Kempe on his wings. Easily. By next season, I would rather have Kempe or Vilardi there.

One thing that is criminal atm: one of your top 2 offensive forwards; Vilardi on line 3 with Lizotte and Arty.

Fiala Kempe Vilardi
Iafallo Kopitar Arty
Moore Danault Arvidsson
Lemieux
Goal scoring aside, Kempe has been pretty bad defensively since last season. You want a guy that’s struggling with his game to fix it as the 1C? I dunno, that’s seems to be asking too much and it’s far above his talent level.
Kaliyev-Byfield-Vilardi should be getting 16min minimum as our 3rd line to prepare them for whatever is ahead(likely top line).

Although I’ve been on the trade AI train, he was damn good on QBs wing, what I would do is probably adjust the second line by adding AI and removing Arvy.
Before anyone gets their panties in a bunch and says, you want to separate our best line.. blah, blah, blah.. my answer is no, I want to make it better by adding more size because Arvy is ineffective against heavier teams. Also, Phil Danault is the f***en 2nd line and anyone that’s played with him owes him a dinner, Rolex, house, car.. lol, because he’s the reason that line is as good as it is. He can play with anyone and again, imo that line needs more size and AI was awesome with him last season.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV

Fiala Kempe Vilardi
Iafallo Kopitar Arty
Moore Danault Arvidsson
Lemieux
I would be fine with the experiment although that would hurt an already defensively piss-poor team and I doubt TMac would be capable of justifying it to himself.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

Fiala Kempe Vilardi
Iafallo Kopitar Arty
Moore Danault Arvidsson
Lemieux

That’s an interesting idea. Hadn’t thought about using Kempe down the middle.

Fiala - Kempe - Arvidsson
Moore - Danault - Vilardi
Iafallo - Kopitar - Kaliyev
JAD - Lizotte - Grundstrom

Roll the top three lines pretty evenly and see if it works. Let’s call up Spence and Moverare while we’re at it:

Anderson - Doughty
Bjornfot - Spence
Moverare - Roy

LeftKinger

Oct 20, 2022
I agree. Yes, Vilardi struggled the first full season he played at center, but I don't think that disqualifies him from being a center in the future.

That said, I'd rather he establish himself as an NHLer first instead of asking him to adjust his game AGAIN while also trying to break out.
Could move him back to center in the off-season and groom him to be the first line center while Kopi moves back to the second line next year. I feel like that’d be best not to impede his progress.

Rumpelstiltskin

Serial Ruminator
Jun 14, 2007
Los Alamitos, CA
I'm confused at a lot of people's reaction as if he made this tiktok himself and put it out there on his own innitiative. It's clearly something the Kings PR/marketing team asked him to do and he's trying to be a good sport about it. Hey, PR/marketing... can you knock it off?

Yeah, I wasn't "offended;" it was more, "So this is how they're trying to get young people interested in the Kings, huh?" FWIW: when I showed this to my kids, the words 'sus' and 'cringe' kept coming up (just wait until they see Durzi ON the ice), so obviously they weren't part of the focus group.

Didn't we used to have a poster that was with the Kings' marketing team?

Reactions: David Lunch

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
How can anybody think Durzi tiktok is any worse that the Triple Crown Line Forgive My Misconduct is beyond me. I agree with @BringTheReign and the pearl clutching. Every generation does embarrassing stuff for attention and laughs. Don’t forget Hrudey’s on Duty.
I'm kind of partial to the whole organization's "Serious Hockey" campaign after the frivolous fun and games of the Gretzky era.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Didn't we used to have a poster that was with the Kings' marketing team?
I've written and then deleted a few responses to that conversation.

Look I don't like mascots I think mascots are dumb and annoying and distract from the game and I don't understand why anybody likes them or is entertained by them but I've had to concede over the years that not everybody agrees with me about mascots and I even wound up doing a weekly online interview show with a mascot as my cohost so.... not everything is for everybody.

And if you ever find yourself getting mad at something that is actually harmless... maybe remember that?

EDIT: and to be clear... that video IS harmless. It wasn't conceived of by anybody that makes hockey decisions and it didn't interrupt Durzi's focus or schedule. It was probably filmed in September with everything else.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
I'm kind of partial to the whole organization's "Serious Hockey" campaign after the frivolous fun and games of the Gretzky era.
"Serious hockey" was a marketing slogan just like the rest of them.

Dean Lombardi and his media embargo for players was what being "serious" looks like.

EDIT: and to be PERFECTLY clear I am NOT endorsing that philosophy

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I've written and then deleted a few responses to that conversation.

Look I don't like mascots I think mascots are dumb and annoying and distract from the game and I don't understand why anybody likes them or is entertained by them but I've had to concede over the years that not everybody agrees with me about mascots and I even wound up doing a weekly online interview show with a mascot as my cohost so.... not everything is for everybody.

And if you ever find yourself getting mad at something that is actually harmless... maybe remember that?

EDIT: and to be clear... that video IS harmless. It wasn't conceived of by anybody that makes hockey decisions and it didn't interrupt Durzi's focus or schedule. It was probably filmed in September with everything else.
Yeah, I completely agree about mascots and have had that view since I was a kid… but they are basically harmless, soI just ignore them and pretend they don’t exist.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I think we’d all like some more objective coverage of the Kings. Whilst it’s not mainstream media the ‘Locked On Kings’ podcast presents a good objective view of things. It’s pretty good and I’m currently listening to the 25/11 pod which discusses to a point the possibility of a coaching change. So they aren’t tied in terms of the topics that they cover.

No reflection on Jesse, I love his coverage, but it’s done from a different context. There’s a thought process behind the views and opinions regardless as to whether you agree.

kempe is your trade bait to upgrade LHD
All he needs is a kick up the rear end. Start with a demotion in the lineup and if that doesn’t work he needs sitting. It is it something he’s needed once or twice in his career. Should he need it? No. However, if that’s what is needed then JFDI.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Compared to

Is malpractice

And speaking of malpractice, it appears based on lines that either Kempe or Vilardi is going to C

ibleedkings

Rob Fake
Jul 19, 2004
Santa Clarita

Interesting lines.

Very interesting. Gabe is a changed player this season and it's not gonna hurt to try him at center again. Love Arty on the top line! We've seen this before when TM would give Arty a shot on the top line, but would demote him after a period or 2. Let the Kid gel with Kopi and Fialla for a 5-10 game period. Hell Lolfallo went 20 something games last year on the top line without scoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad