Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Very interesting. Gabe is a changed player this season and it's not gonna hurt to try him at center again. Love Arty on the top line! We've seen this before when TM would give Arty a shot on the top line, but would demote him after a period or 2. Let the Kid gel with Kopi and Fialla for a 5-10 game period. Hell Lolfallo went 20 something games last year on the top line without scoring.
Noooo! Weren't you reading this blog earlier in the week???!!!!
Gabe Villardi must not be put back at center.
It will cause the world to end!
Ice caps will melt!
Volcanoes will erupt!
Jesus will be acquired as a backup goaltender!

Sunday practice blasphemy, Gabe at 3c.

Here’s today’s alignment, for reference –

Fiala – Kopitar – Kaliyev
Moore – Danault – Arvidsson
Iafallo – Vilardi – Kempe
Anderson-Dolan – Lizotte – Grundstrom – Fagemo

Anderson – Doughty
Durzi – Roy
Edler – Walker
Bjornfot – Clarke

Quick
Copley

(Kiss my blarney stone!)

Last edited:

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Noooo! Weren't you reading this blog earlier in the week???!!!!
Gabe Villardi must not be put back at center.
It will cause the world to end!
Ice caps will melt!
Volcanoes will erupt!
Jesus will be acquired as a backup goaltender!

Sunday practice blasphemy, Gabe at 3c.

Here’s today’s alignment, for reference –

Fiala – Kopitar – Kaliyev
Moore – Danault – Arvidsson
Iafallo – Vilardi – Kempe
Anderson-Dolan – Lizotte – Grundstrom – Fagemo

Anderson – Doughty
Durzi – Roy
Edler – Walker
Bjornfot – Clarke

Quick
Copley

(Kiss my blarney stone!)
None of it matters until the Durzi-Roy pairing is discontinued permanently.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
B6F4D28F-9F42-4467-8562-5CB870AA58E0.png

Brilliant.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Don't worry about Kaliyev on the 1st line.

No one is because the moment Kopitar gets scored on Kaliyev gets demoted and Iafallo promoted.

If it stays in that alignment beyond the first period you can give me a swirlie.

But it won't and then we can add some token meaningless TOI to the column of "see Kaliyev DOES get top minutes"

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Kaliyev needs to continue to learn how to be stronger on the defensive side of the puck more consistently. For sure showing his stuff on O.
Kings need another LHD, but Bjorn is learning.
Blake is being smart being patient waiting for the buyers and sellers to shake out and not getting taken to the cleaners.
Danaults line should not be broken up regardless of a poor week.
Iafallo is like the lubricant that keeps friction down in the lineup.
None of those player should be traded.
Want more blasphemy?

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
This is freaking great....

TM is the head coach since 2019 and we still can't figure out who is playing where.

I wish the other teams wouldn't suck so much.
This mess is kinda expected but much sweeter with pretty draft picks.
This playoff nonsense has to stop.
Demoting Peterson was a big mistake

• Haha
Reactions: Surf Nutz

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
No one is because the moment Kopitar gets scored on Kaliyev gets demoted and Iafallo promoted.

If it stays in that alignment beyond the first period you can give me a swirlie.

But it won't and then we can add some token meaningless TOI to the column of "see Kaliyev DOES get top minutes"
You're stepping out on a limb betting on after the first period, but it's definitely not crazy to predict Iafallo ending up there soon.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Heck, the moment Kaliyev doesn't score some of the geniuses will say "Kaliyev hasn't shown jack" just because he hasn't scored.

Then turn around and will accuse us of being impatient

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
Watch as I magically fix the defense:

Bjornfot - Doughty
Anderson - Clarke
Edler - Roy

Clarke on PP1, Doughty on PP2.

tenor.gif

Durzi would be better than Elder. Durzi as a 3rd pairing d man + PP QB is exactly how he should be used. I don't think Elder is a NHL player at this point in his career.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
wingers and defenseman are switching sides so much dont even remember their natural side.

an organization with so many centers they've converted them to wingers is rolling out a converted winger as C and Blake Lizotte.

These guys cannot get out of their own way.

Reactions: psych3man

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
an organization with so many centers they've converted them to wingers is rolling out a converted winger as C and Blake Lizotte.

These guys cannot get out of their own way.
I'm like 80 percent certain that byfield will be converted to wing

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
"hockey values" lol ok don cherry
Yeah. I miss the “good old days” when the abuse was kept under wraps and the racism was out in the open!
Yeah, I completely agree about mascots and have had that view since I was a kid… but they are basically harmless, soI just ignore them and pretend they don’t exist.
Hard to do when Bailey plants his ass in front of your view of the game and starts banging on that god damn drum…
Don't worry about Kaliyev on the 1st line.
We don’t have to worry about it. It’ll last about as long as Tom’s of Maine Deodorant.
I'm like 80 percent certain that byfield will be converted to wing
God I hope not. If we miss at center with Vilardi, Turcotte and Byfield… Who plays 1C? Gustl?

Woof.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Line mixing is what coaches do, Sutter an example.
Players have moods and moments.
I like that they try young players at C and have wing as a safety net.
Then when they break out try em at C again.
Its a good way to set em up for success but catch them when they fall.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Line mixing is what coaches do, Sutter an example.
Players have moods and moments.
I like that they try young players at C and have wing as a safety net.
Then when they break out try em at C again.
Its a good way to set em up for success but catch them when they fall.

We try for 4 years now.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Reeks to me as a bit of desperation and chaos with the Kempe/GV 3C utilization. All to maybe get through until the time that QB is back up and ready to take over 3C again.

In a vacuum, it's ok. Having one situation or even two like this. But it seems like it's the norm with this coaching staff / FO. Way too much. Goalie situation a mess, LHD situation a mess and playing out of position. STs a mess. No physical presence. Lines a mess and can't figure out. Center issues. There's a common theme here. If they want LT success, eventually they need to figure some crap out, resolve it and get some semblence of continuity. Sutter's team could mix things up because that was a vet heavy team that was very good, amazing leaders on the team and won. Apples & Oranges.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
I took some time off after the Carolina game to gather my thoughts before weighing in on the current state of affairs for this team.

First, I have to give a ton of props to the Hurricanes. Out of all the teams in the league, they may be the most disciplined, well-oiled machine in terms of what you are going to see night in and night out. We had some good spurts, but it felt like we were fighting an uphill battle the entire night. Kudos to them.

Second - I think there are 3 main areas the Kings will need to address before they are going to be a serious contender in the playoffs.

1. Team identity - We all talk about this a lot. Does this team have a well established identity? IMHO, we have nothing close to what we saw during those 2012/2014 Stanley Cup runs. When you look at the teams that are really succeeding in this league (Boston, Carolina, Vegas, even Seattle) there is a clear purpose to what they are doing. You will rarely see these huge dysfunctional gaps from game to game. When it is looking like we are overmatched/outplayed in a game, I would like to see the team be flexible enough to fall back to a tight-checking/physical game. I'm not sure that we can accomplish that with our current personnel. It really makes me miss that Darryl Sutter brand of hockey that we were accustomed to during those Stanley Cup runs. Bottom line, this all starts with the coaching staff. I've never been a big McClellan guy. I don't think he's a bad coach, but is he what this team needs? I don't have faith that this guy will be able to take us to the next level.

2. Team toughness - The biggest standout to me in the Carolina game was their unwavering mental toughness. They stuck to a gameplan throughout and did not give the Kings an inch. The Kings just haven't shown me that kind of detailed focus in any kind of sustained fashion. There are just so many mental mistakes/lapses that end up costing us a goal at a critical juncture. I'm not sure I can count on one hand the amount of games this year where I think to myself....wow, we really dominated that team tonight.

3. Defense/Goaltending - Another area we really need to improve. Blake may wait until the end of the season to address this, but I think it needs to happen sooner rather than later. Edler has taken a clear step back, Durzi (while having a high offensive ceiling) is prone to so many boneheaded plays and Walker is definitely odd man out. For all that crap we were putting on Maatta, he would be a difference maker on the team this year. If it was me, I would definitely work Spence/Bjornfot onto the roster full-time and look to trade Durzi/pick/prospect for a D that we really covet.

Goaltending is another area that concerns me. I think 70% of it is more about cleaning up the D and clearing out space for the goalies, but this team definitely needs to have a plan in place moving forward. It's pretty disgusting to see how much salary we have tied up in goaltending and no results to show for it.

The single word that entered my head after the Carolina game: discouraged. This was a litmus test for us and we failed. Hopefully some of the roster changes will start clicking and we will see a different team moving forward. We still have a great prospect pool and the future is bright. Byfield is really looking good in Ontario and Turcotte has really started to get his footing. As always...Go Kings!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad