Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Todd actually balances ice time a lot more than many coaches. Kopitar's line had 25 shifts last night, Kupari's line had 22. The only line that was low last night was the 4th with 12, and honestly it wasn't their best game. Edmonton was using their change to put serious firepower against them which is why they weren't out there that much.

The shifts in the Calgary game were 22-22-17-17. Top lines tend to get shifts at start and ends of periods so that's pretty much rolling 4.

TM has definitely learned from riding his top players too much last year, Kopitar's ES time has been noticably reduced.
It’s the length of the PP1 shifts that is the biggest problem. Also most teams don’t have a no1 C with the miles on the clock that Kopi has. It’s better this year but still needs further tweaks.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I don't like the 'buying time' thing for Clarke, it's a waste of his talents. Blake needs to figure something out soon...I appreciate his patience to some degree but we're up on the shit-or-get-off-the-pot time as guys are just wasting away.

And I really, really hope he doesn't do the tourney, too risky for a bunch of asshats who have blown him off twice, they don't deserve him.

Didn't say really anything interesting though. "Guys are looking at LA."

Who is wasting away?

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Clarke's conditioning assignment to Ontario ends next weekend, so whatever plans Blake has for Clarke, it'll be clearer in about 10 days.

Absolutely, I just think the eternal kicking the can down the road thing is gonna find him running out of racetrack with another GM holding him hostage (and subsequently posters here going 'well what was he SUPPOSED to do' when we give up Walker for a 7th or something).

Who is wasting away?

Durzi on his left side, Clarke if he goes back to juniors, Spence/Bjornfot if he doesn't get some additional NHL time this year, Moverare the eternal non-player even though we have 0 LHDs...and that's before we get into forwards and waiver eligibility concerns upcoming, never mind Byfield and Turcotte in the AHL depending on how recovery goes.

Like I said, it's getting close to shit-or-get-off-the-pot time and no GM is going to rescue Blake from his indecisions if we deadline ourselves on guys before we even know what we have in them.

I've said before I appreciate Blake's patience but there's an event horizon at some point at which these guys become depreciating assets and you're hurting the team rather than helping it. Just dumping a guy for a 7th because you can isn't good asset mgmt and I'm curious to see what he has up his sleeve.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Like I said, it's getting close to shit-or-get-off-the-pot time and no GM is going to rescue Blake from his indecisions if we deadline ourselves on guys before we even know what we have in them.

In addition to that, some good LD targets are probably becoming less likely. Graves is one I would have definitely considered, being a pending UFA, but with NJ tearing shit up I don't think there is any way they move him. There will always be guys that become available, like Gavrikov because the entire city of Columbus is getting injured, or maybe Dumoulin (even if he's older) as Pittsburgh is finally nearing the end of the Crosby/Malkin era.

I just hope when Blake sees the fit he wants he jumps on it.

dman3474

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
I still think Durzi is the obvious trade chip come January. If they can build any kind of value in Walker between now and then, he could get moved instead. To me it's a bit of trying to do the right thing for Walker to get him ice time.
Depends on who we get back. If we are getting a solid stay at home or extremely reliable D, then maybe Roy goes and Durzi Shifts back over.

Either way, two of Roy/Durzi/Walker need to get moved by the start of next season with one of them leaving ASAP

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
I like this kid Gavrikov from the Jackets. If we can get him at a reasonable price, I would pull the trigger. 6'3" and 221 lbs. Looks like a defensively responsible player and a great team guy. When he had the overtime winner in the 4th game of the season against Vancouver, it was more important for him to talk about the team getting points than his OT winner.

Oh yeah - he's also averaging over 22 minutes a game. Crap, he's UFA at the end of the year, though.

Do it, Blake!

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
I like this kid Gavrikov from the Jackets. If we can get him at a reasonable price, I would pull the trigger. 6'3" and 221 lbs. Looks like a defensively responsible player and a great team guy. When he had the overtime winner in the 4th game of the season against Vancouver, it was more important for him to talk about the team getting points than his OT winner.

He's worth the ask and a thread is on the trade board. Opening price looks to be a 1st round pick for him. A few of us have tried to offer Durzi or Kupari for him.

I feel Kupari would be a great transaction. Jackets need centers badly and we have a wee surplus. Kupari has made some great strides as being a good two way center Jackets could use.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Every day when I log on I keep waiting to see "Confirmed with link: Trade".

Every day the sighs and eyerolls get a little bigger.

The Kings are hardly the only team not doing anything. There have been a handful of deals since the start of camp, most of them insignificant, and most of them involving either Chi and/or Van.

Durzi on his left side, Clarke if he goes back to juniors, Spence/Bjornfot if he doesn't get some additional NHL time this year, Moverare the eternal non-player even though we have 0 LHDs...and that's before we get into forwards and waiver eligibility concerns upcoming, never mind Byfield and Turcotte in the AHL depending on how recovery goes.

I've said before I appreciate Blake's patience but there's an event horizon at some point at which these guys become depreciating assets and you're hurting the team rather than helping it. Just dumping a guy for a 7th because you can isn't good asset mgmt and I'm curious to see what he has up his sleeve.

Durzi is playing 20min a night though. Just like Kaliyev might be playing only 39 seconds a night, but he's scoring at a 27g, 59pt pace. He's doing alright.

We can worry more about losing assets when they actually lose one. Or how they're not developing guys right when more than 0 players crap out and end their career in Europe.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Durzi is playing 20min a night though. Just like Kaliyev might be playing only 39 seconds a night, but he's scoring at a 27g, 59pt pace. He's doing alright.

We can worry more about losing assets when they actually lose one. Or how they're not developing guys right when more than 0 players crap out and end their career in Europe.

For a guy so interested in process, these are oddly focused myopically on current results only when the discussion was how to handle the personnel in the near future.

Waiting till we lose an asset to discuss losing the assets when the current environment is the concern? Sure, you don't have to participate in the discussion, I guess. But there's a reason we're having it.

Reactions: King'sPawn

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
He's worth the ask and a thread is on the trade board. Opening price looks to be a 1st round pick for him. A few of us have tried to offer Durzi or Kupari for him.

I feel Kupari would be a great transaction. Jackets need centers badly and we have a wee surplus. Kupari has made some great strides as being a good two way center Jackets could use.
I'd rather not lose Kupari & go back to Lizotte at 3C. Gavrikov would be a good off-season target. If the King's are going to give up a 1st in a deep draft, hopefully they aim higher.

Chychrun is supposed to play his 1st game on Monday. With Chychrun talks heating up again, wonder if Blake has dangled a package for other D around the league. Provorov, Chabot, & EK come to mind. Cap wise, anything over 8 M is going to be difficult next year.

Chabot's real money paid jumps next year. Sanderson is playing well & Ottawa has some expensive guys to re-sign soon. They are looking to sell the team so may not be ready to make big moves.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Has anyone here subscribed to Rosen's site? How is it? I'll be keeping my sub to The Athletic mainly due to the multiple sport and fantasy coverage, but I wouldn't mind supporting Jon if it's a good product.

Forum Report
I have and I think it’s worth it. He just writes better than any of the other local outlets and has a better understanding of the intricacies of what’s actually happening on the ice, IMO. I don’t really bother to read LAKI anymore (nothing against Dooley—just tough shoes to fill). It works out to like $5 a month so it’s not like it’s exorbitant. He doesn’t have some entity paying for him so I don’t mind helping him afford to cover the team, which he clearly enjoys doing.

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
I'd rather not lose Kupari & go back to Lizotte at 3C. Gavrikov would be a good off-season target. If the King's are going to give up a 1st in a deep draft, hopefully they aim higher.

Chychrun is supposed to play his 1st game on Monday. With Chychrun talks heating up again, wonder if Blake has dangled a package for other D around the league. Provorov, Chabot, & EK come to mind. Cap wise, anything over 8 M is going to be difficult next year.

Chabot's real money paid jumps next year. Sanderson is playing well & Ottawa has some expensive guys to re-sign soon. They are looking to sell the team so may not be ready to make big moves.

I get where you're coming from, but this could be a give to get trade. Byfield should return to the NHL soon and have 3rd line responsibilities as center. Shoring up that LHD we desperately need to do. I would agree that if we send our 1st, we should package it with another solid prospect for better quality.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I have and I think it’s worth it. He just writes better than any of the other local outlets and has a better understanding of the intricacies of what’s actually happening on the ice, IMO. I don’t really bother to read LAKI anymore (nothing against Dooley—just tough shoes to fill). It works out to like $5 a month so it’s not like it’s exorbitant. He doesn’t have some entity paying for him so I don’t mind helping him afford to cover the team, which he clearly enjoys doing.

And he's not afraid to call out players. Like how Kopi's numbers in a bunch of key metrics are at his highest / worst of his career. The playmaking chart and companying analysis is awesome.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

The problem with Chychrun is he's the Gaborik of injured defensemen. The guy can't stay healthy. I'm not sure if i want to dump some good assets for a guy who can't play 50 games and expects a big payday. There has to be better options.

Last edited:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
For a guy so interested in process, these are oddly focused myopically on current results only when the discussion was how to handle the personnel in the near future.

Waiting till we lose an asset to discuss losing the assets when the current environment is the concern? Sure, you don't have to participate in the discussion, I guess. But there's a reason we're having it.

But there's in-depth discussion about how Blake is going to lose everyone, when they haven't lost anyone yet. It's all hypothetical, and Blake gets all kids of criticism for not having done anything about losing guys yet. But he hasn't lost anyone yet. Remember how they lost Clague, and nobody cares about that anymore, because he can't even stick with terrible teams? Just because we want to see certain players traded, doesn't mean that other GMs want to trade for them. It's not easy just "getting rid of guys".

The problem with Chychrun is he's the Gaborik of injured defensemen. The guy can't stay healthy. I'm not sure if i want to dump some good assets for a guy who can't play 50 games and expects a big payday. There has to be better options.

And better options likely aren't available. Certainly not this early in a season. We keep throwing names like Provorov out there, but the Flyers are currently in the playoff race. They're not 30pts behind 8th in the East.

Look at all the trades that have been made since the season started. There's a lot of nothing going on. It's not that Blake refuses to trade anyone he's brought in because he's embarrassed he may have or will make a mistake. There are more than enough teams that have struggled this year in one way or another, and nobody anywhere is doing much about it. That's not the league anymore. You don't trade your way out of a slump.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
How do you justify that? And that doesn't matter. All that matters is if he's coming around and learning and excelling at the position in the pros.

Byfield has 1 goal and 3 assists in 12 professional games played this year, split between both the NHL and AHL. He is a combined -3 with a sub 50% faceoff percentage. He also can’t seem to stay healthy.

What about that suggests he’s excelling at the position in the pros?

I understand he’s young and still has time to turn it around, but this is not a player rapidly developing into a #1 center in the NHL. Again, he’s not even a #1 in the AHL. He has 1 goal and 0 assists in 4 games played in a lesser league.

Best thing for Byfield is to probably stay down in the AHL all season, find his offense again, and learn how to be a productive center on a game by game basis. If Byfield can’t be productive in the AHL he’ll never be productive in the NHL.

By the way, since everyone loves to point to Vilardi now as the quintessential late bloomer, Vilardi was essentially a PPG forward in the AHL in both 19/20 and 21/22 before his breakout this year in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad