Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I'm "okay" with a "let's see how it plays out" approach contingent on some semblance of a plan when it yields poor results.

The Kings are more afraid of waiving Walker or Edler this year and losing them for nothing over possibly losing Bjornfot for nothing next year. The plan basically looks like "play the vets until someone is injured, then expect the youth to be ready to play."

Meanwhile, young players who make errors get punished with less ice time. Older players get more leeway to "figure it out".

I know there are many moving parts and I can appreciate that, but there's a lot of justifiable concerns and questions about their plan.

Problem is that it's the exact same plan with the exact same questions as last year.

Bringing in Danault, Arvidsson, Edler and Fiala didn't answer any questions, it just postponed them a little bit down the road. Now that would be cool if you are still trying to figure things out, but the answers are already there and are the exact same answers as last year.

I keep getting this feeling that they don't want to answer the questions because they already know them - and that is that the Cup core is no longer good enough and making the appopriate changes hurts their marketing plan and what they think the fan base wants. They keep banking on the old identity and just flat out refuse to move forward.

Reactions: KINGS17 and YAYSAY

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Koalacracy
I forget to put the accents in: Koa - lac' - ra -cy
I'm "okay" with a "let's see how it plays out" approach contingent on some semblance of a plan when it yields poor results.

The Kings are more afraid of waiving Walker or Edler this year and losing them for nothing over possibly losing Bjornfot for nothing next year. The plan basically looks like "play the vets until someone is injured, then expect the youth to be ready to play."

Meanwhile, young players who make errors get punished with less ice time. Older players get more leeway to "figure it out".

I know there are many moving parts and I can appreciate that, but there's a lot of justifiable concerns and questions about their plan.
Agreed. To me one thing stands out the most: Walker adds zero value and has no long term spot w the Kings. Even if you dont want to develop Clarke this year - you have Spence doing really well and probably has not much left to learn in the A. He certainly is better than Walker with more upside.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
We have a full roster with Walker as the seventh defenseman.

Bjornfot - Doughty
Anderson - Durzi
Edler - Roy
Walker

If Durzi is hurt, swap in Spence or Clarke. Walker isn’t great, but coming off two major injuries in consecutive years isn’t easy. I’m fine with him as our #7. Just need to call up Toby.

Reactions: Soapdodger

bland

Jul 1, 2004

Bjornfot - Doughty
Anderson - Durzi
Edler - Roy
Walker

If Durzi is hurt, swap in Spence or Clarke. Walker isn’t great, but coming off two major injuries in consecutive years isn’t easy. I’m fine with him as our #7. Just need to call up Toby.
Couldn't agree with you more

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021

Bjornfot - Doughty
Anderson - Durzi
Edler - Roy
Walker

Walker hurts as a 2.7m dollar 7th d, but not nearly as bad as he hurts the roster playing above his head.

I’d waive him to Ontario, even.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
I think Blake doesn't want his had forced with Walker, and is playing him only to get him marketable for a trade. I also believe it is the cultural thing of "don't make a guy lose his spot when he comes back from injury" which I can respect. If the Kings were further down the standings, I think you'd see things come to a head, but he and TMac seem content to let him work through his struggles. I'm assuming Blake is kicking the tires on trade options all the while. I expect this to play out by the end of December (either the defense gets it together or the personnel is changed up via trade or call-up).

Things are annoying to watch sometimes as a fan, but I don't assume they are clueless. Blake always keeps things close to the vest, so it invites more speculation from us.

For me what's been happening on the ice isn't really about the GM and what tools he has given the coach to work with. The huge jump in intensity shown in the Vancouver game screams "coach" to me.

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
Problem is that it's the exact same plan with the exact same questions as last year.

Bringing in Danault, Arvidsson, Edler and Fiala didn't answer any questions, it just postponed them a little bit down the road. Now that would be cool if you are still trying to figure things out, but the answers are already there and are the exact same answers as last year.

I keep getting this feeling that they don't want to answer the questions because they already know them - and that is that the Cup core is no longer good enough and making the appopriate changes hurts their marketing plan and what they think the fan base wants. They keep banking on the old identity and just flat out refuse to move forward.

They moved forward last year. Signing Danault was a bold move. Acquiring Arvidsson and Edler were solid moves. You can only improve your team so much, with cap restrictions and trying to keep your top assets as well. You only move 1st rounders and top assets for top players, preferably under age 28. So, that was accomplished getting Fiala and signing him 5 years. Kempe and Iafallo were signed over the last year, for 4 years at decent cap numbers. It's like Blake got one of the best forwards last Summer in Danault and this Summer in Fiala...and only cost a 19th overall and Faber (who was not going to sign here) Those are both A+ moves. Fiala is not even getting warmed up yet...and once he gels with a line, he will produce even more. He finished the last 2 months last yr, with top 10 scoring stats, I beleive. (with Frederick Gaudreau and Boldy's first 40 NHL games)

I do not think they are 'banking on the core' of Kopi, Doughty, Quick any longer. ...but #1 centers are hard to acquire and they have drafted Vilardi, Kuapri, Turcote and Byfield, with a longterm goal of one of them becoming #1 center. It's not unreasonable to think that Byfield / Turcotte would be healthy and further ahead...making some impact. It's a bonus that Vilardi is emerging and taking huge steps this year. I like the way the forward core is taking shape....lots of depth and the ability to ice 12 good NHL forwards each night. It would help if 1 or 2 were of the more physical type.

There are breakdown issues this year and some erratic play, for sure. That;s not on Blake, The PP looks great some nights and then looks meh on others. They need to get that fixed. I think the issues are the defense and
D playing on their off side and not the best of pairings.

Walker needs to go and they really need a top 4 LHD with some jam and that can play all situations.
If Chychrun is that guy, I'd part with a 1st and 2 prospects, but I don't think he's that guy.

Remember the AVS were total crap, 3 years ago. Sakic went out and quietly got some young vets like underrated Burakvosky, Donskoi (not a bad player there, that rebuilding yr) and took a wild shot at getting Nichushkin....Makar bursts on the scene...and then he adds Toews...and some character / depth guys Cogliano, Aube Kubel and they are suddenly contending....and without a top tier goalie, no less. You can't say a rebuild will take 3-5 years. It takes some luck and somehow having one of your draftees becoming a top tier talent....not in 3-4 years, but instantly, like Makar.

There are always setbacks and some players never reach their potential. Injuries happen as well.
The woulda coulda shoulda exists for every team. I'm pretty happy that there are more positives than negatives. The next core must emerge and take over. In a big way. It's not far fetched to see that
it's possible Vilardi, Fiala, Kempe and even Moore / Iafallo to a degree become that...with Danault being a leader.
Maybe Danault takes on the leadershp that Brown was. There needs to be a defenseman that emerges
to be a top tier guy. I think Clarke can, but that may be 2 years before he will be at the level he will be.
Durzi has some special traits, (has a take charge approach and has some jam) but he's got to be more reliable defensively. He seemed to be a little better the last few games and then gets some injury?

Honestly, losing Iafallo was costly. And Byfield going ill for 2 weeks wasn't good.

The #1 PP needs Durzi and Fiala. The 2 best PP offensive weapons together - at least in their
abillities to MOVE and be FLUID and make plays. They both have deception and creativity.
If they won't remove Drew from it? Fine, but let Durzi play the left point. The PP is best when
they are moving and needs to have the ones that excel at that.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
the Cup core
Can we amend this argument?

I'm not even weighing in on if I agree with your premise or not because I find that phrase so distractingly inadequate.

We're talking about two guys. It's not a core anymore. It's two guys.

Fix your narrative.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Can we amend this argument?

I'm not even weighing in on if I agree with your premise or not because I find that phrase so distractingly inadequate.

We're talking about two guys. It's not a core anymore. It's two guys.

Fix your narrative.
Its three.

Kopitar, playing way too many minutes and no longer able to provide a consistent enough offensive threat as a #1c and top power play unit.

Doughty, playing way, way too many minutes and dragging down the top power play unit.

Quick, frankly one of the least effective "#1 goalie"'s in the league.

So no, I don't think the narrative needs any amendment. Three former top flight players who still provide a little production but still get the lions share of minutes, starts and prime situations AND whose decline in play is steadfastly ignored publicly by anyone associated with the franchise.

Their presence and managements inability to move on from them has cost years of progress.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Its three.

Kopitar, playing way too many minutes and no longer able to provide a consistent enough offensive threat as a #1c and top power play unit.

Doughty, playing way, way too many minutes and dragging down the top power play unit.

So no, I don't think the narrative needs any amendment. Three former top flight players who still provide a little production but still get the lions share of minutes, starts and prime situations AND whose decline in play is steadfastly ignored publicly by anyone associated with the franchise.

Their presence and managements inability to move on from them has cost years of progress.
I thinks this is true... and I think it dictated the half-rebuild (vs full DL style) to try to get into the playoff mix before they retire. I think the rebuild around the old core was started at least 2 years too late.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
That’s not supposed to be his role any longer. He’s playing the lions share of starts due to Petersens struggles, it’s not like Cal is putting up better numbers in fewer games played. I do think he is gradually putting it together but the situation isn’t because they want Quick as #1.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
I think a team like Dallas is potentially instructive as a guide for this team's potential. Our system has more depth, but their cornerstone young talent is a few years older and showing its potential now. They have Benn and Seguin revitalized, and we have Kopitar and Doughty still playing well enough. At the core positions of the future, we line up as such:

Hintz (26) --> Byfield (20) or Kupari (22) or Turcotte (21)
Robertson (23) --> Vilardi (23) or Kaliyev (21)
Heiskanen (23) --> Clarke (19)
Oettinger (23) --> Petersen (27)

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that the roster Blake put together is buying time for a handful of our many lottery tickets to hit pay dirt. Everyone thought Dallas's bubble Cup Final run was a fluke, and that they were done for afterwards. They now look like they could challenge for the Cup because of surprise upward trajectories from young players combined with still-effective veterans.

I do echo and agree with the frustration here around forward prospect development, but given Kempe and Vilardi showing well, I am hopeful we'll continue to see progress. Petersen is also still our biggest risk as given his age, contract, and our lack of goalie pipeline depth we'll need to make a trade or shrewd FA signing if he doesn't improve.

Last edited:

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
The construction of this team is the poster child of “half measures”.

It’ll put butts in seats with an assured 95-100pt season, and lure in some buzz with a first round playoff possibility.

It won’t build an actual contender.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
The construction of this team is the poster child of “half measures”.

It’ll put butts in seats with an assured 95-100pt season, and lure in some buzz with a first round playoff possibility.

It won’t build an actual contender.

Define an ACTUAL contender......for all the bullshit people sling......

Was Montreal an ACTUAL contender the year....it...you know, CONTENDED for the cup?

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Define an ACTUAL contender......for all the bullshit people sling......

Was Montreal an ACTUAL contender the year....it...you know, CONTENDED for the cup?

They were not, as evidenced by their complete fallapart the following year.

I get the feeling this is going to be a stupid argument over semantics when it's pretty clear from the 2nd sentence what the quoted post meant, a year-after-year contender rather than a black hole "make it and anything can happen" prayer.

Reactions: LAK74 and KINGS17

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
They were not, as evidenced by their complete fallapart the following year.

I get the feeling this is going to be a stupid argument over semantics when it's pretty clear from the 2nd sentence what the quoted post meant, a year-after-year contender rather than a black hole "make it and anything can happen" prayer.

Nope, but ok, define year after year contender.....I would say you have two...right now in the league, Colorado....and Tampa.......anyone else?

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
Really enjoying this thread and was thinking about this but the issue was Blake didnt start the season with the best possible lineup he could have. His past contract decisions are solely to blame. Im a Blake supporter- hes done well in the drafts and brought in the next wave of players- but some of his contract decisions have proven horrible and we can only speculate- how many more Ws would the team have with Spence and Bjornfot?

Ive beaten the horse to the ground but we have 3 dmen who are at or below the minimum required level to be a full time NHL level player and can play the median level of Defense to succeed while we have 2 in Ontario that helped last years team win tight checking low scoring games and proven themselves more than capable. I Like Blake but he is at fault here. How he remedies the situation will go a long way to prove his worth as GM. Tough Decisions ahead but has tools and asset to make something happen.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Really enjoying this thread and was thinking about this but the issue was Blake didnt start the season with the best possible lineup he could have. His past contract decisions are solely to blame. Im a Blake supporter- hes done well in the drafts and brought in the next wave of players- but some of his contract decisions have proven horrible and we can only speculate- how many more Ws would the team have with Spence and Bjornfot?

Ive beaten the horse to the ground but we have 3 dmen who are at or below the minimum required level to be a full time NHL level player and can play the median level of Defense to succeed while we have 2 in Ontario that helped last years team win tight checking low scoring games and proven themselves more than capable. I Like Blake but he is at fault here. How he remedies the situation will go a long way to prove his worth as GM. Tough Decisions ahead but has tools and asset to make something happen.

You can ask the same question, how many more Ls would the team have with Spence and Bjornfoot.....

Which 3 Dmen do you think are not NHL Dmen.....

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Its three.

Never go against the company line.

Reactions: DoktorJeep
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad