Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I’d like to point out that Kopi started struggling defensively when Kempe moved to the top line. Kempe has become mercurial, especially on the defensive end since last season. Scoring aside, Kempe’s overall game has declined..
I don’t mind pairing Kopi and Arthur together as they play a cerebral game, maybe adding a kid like Kupari with them would help offset their speed deficiency.
I do agree that the minutes definitely need to be spread out more but that will require a new coach with a more modern mindset, no more recycling coaches

Todd actually balances ice time a lot more than many coaches. Kopitar's line had 25 shifts last night, Kupari's line had 22. The only line that was low last night was the 4th with 12, and honestly it wasn't their best game. Edmonton was using their change to put serious firepower against them which is why they weren't out there that much.

The shifts in the Calgary game were 22-22-17-17. Top lines tend to get shifts at start and ends of periods so that's pretty much rolling 4.

TM has definitely learned from riding his top players too much last year, Kopitar's ES time has been noticably reduced.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Todd actually balances ice time a lot more than many coaches. Kopitar's line had 25 shifts last night, Kupari's line had 22. The only line that was low last night was the 4th with 12, and honestly it wasn't their best game. Edmonton was using their change to put serious firepower against them which is why they weren't out there that much.

The shifts in the Calgary game were 22-22-17-17. Top lines tend to get shifts at start and ends of periods so that's pretty much rolling 4.

TM has definitely learned from riding his top players too much last year, Kopitar's ES time has been noticably reduced.
Kopitar is still over 20min TOI, that hasn’t changed and until we get somewhere near last games distribution of ice time, TM hasn’t learned

Cianide

Under New Management
Jun 11, 2022
Kopitar is still over 20min TOI, that hasn’t changed and until we get somewhere near last games distribution of ice time, TM hasn’t learned
I suspect that with Byfield coming up soon, he will take minutes from Kopitar. Right now, you just gotta ride him.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I don't mind that on a night-to-night basis. It makes sense to ride Danault and Kopitar on the road in Edmonton.

It just doesn't make sense to give him 24 mintues vs. an eastern conference opponent at home repeatedly and regardless of the # of shifts it's the raw icetime that's a weardown over the season when we have one of the deepest forward lineups in the league.

Luckily he has a guy with generational longevity in Doughty on D because managing the D in such manner right now makes much sense while they find a solution. The solutions are there at forward.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

He's barely over 20 minutes, this year so far is the 2nd lowest ATOI of his entire career. It's dropped a lot from a couple years ago.

20-21: 21:10; 15:53 ES, 2:05 PK, 3:10 PP
21-22: 20:46; 15:41 ES, 1:42 PK, 3:20 PP
22-23: 20:13; 14:54 ES, 1:35 PK, 3:43 PP

Not only has his ice time been reduced a full minute, he's also seen a 24% decrease in PK time and a 18% increase in PP time. His minutes are much easier this year, it's probably why he seems to have more jump than last year. Maybe TM isn't learning fast enough for us, but he's learning. This is the most balanced ice time I've seen for a Kings team in a long time. Like RJ said, TM makes some stupid ice time decisions here and there (Chicago a few games ago comes to mind, but we did win), but overall it's a huge improvement. When we are getting beat by 3 or more he really cuts Anze's time which is good to see.

That Chicago game was the first that Anze was over 22 minutes this year, which was unheard of.

Last edited:

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Who would you rather be…Arthur Kaliyev playing 4th line minutes on the Kings or Trevor Zegras playing 1st line mins on the ducks?

Attachments

• 319D3E46-10C1-4486-8016-FAB7E005CA79.jpeg
    319D3E46-10C1-4486-8016-FAB7E005CA79.jpeg
    150.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Haha
Reactions: kilowatt

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021

LeBrun mentions that teams are interested in some of the Kings’ blueliners (without naming anyone specific), and also talks about their plans with Clarke, with the possibility of letting him play at the World Juniors.

Durzi & Roy would be my guess. Few teams looking for RD. Ott, Van, WPG, TO,

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA

LeBrun mentions that teams are interested in some of the Kings’ blueliners (without naming anyone specific), and also talks about their plans with Clarke, with the possibility of letting him play at the World Juniors.

Makes me think that the Kings are going to keep Clarke in the AHL for the length of the conditioning stint, then have him back for December, then send him to the tournament. Once he comes back, Blake might look to clear the logjam.

I still think Durzi is the obvious trade chip come January. If they can build any kind of value in Walker between now and then, he could get moved instead. To me it's a bit of trying to do the right thing for Walker to get him ice time.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Makes me think that the Kings are going to keep Clarke in the AHL for the length of the conditioning stint, then have him back for December, then send him to the tournament. Once he comes back, Blake might look to clear the logjam.

I still think Durzi is the obvious trade chip come January. If they can build any kind of value in Walker between now and then, he could get moved instead. To me it's a bit of trying to do the right thing for Walker to get him ice time.

I don't like the 'buying time' thing for Clarke, it's a waste of his talents. Blake needs to figure something out soon...I appreciate his patience to some degree but we're up on the shit-or-get-off-the-pot time as guys are just wasting away.

And I really, really hope he doesn't do the tourney, too risky for a bunch of asshats who have blown him off twice, they don't deserve him.

LeBrun on LA’s excess of RHD too.

Didn't say really anything interesting though. "Guys are looking at LA."

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I don't like the 'buying time' thing for Clarke, it's a waste of his talents. Blake needs to figure something out soon...I appreciate his patience to some degree but we're up on the shit-or-get-off-the-pot time as guys are just wasting away.

And I really, really hope he doesn't do the tourney, too risky for a bunch of asshats who have blown him off twice, they don't deserve him.

Didn't say really anything interesting though. "Guys are looking at LA."
Clarke's conditioning assignment to Ontario ends next weekend, so whatever plans Blake has for Clarke, it'll be clearer in about 10 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad