Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
If Blake is consciously doing this, he’s f***ing stupid.
Regardless the pattern is there and he would of had to pay breakouts more. It took me a while to see it. Up against the cap he would not have been able to pay and keep the assets he did this year. People were saying he could not resign everyone but he did so. Given that, every team has capoligist and utilizes capology its actually very smart. Look what happend to Minnesota they lost a prime asset in Fiala. Blake gets another year to analyze his assets and decide who he will keep and who he will jettison before push comes to shove anf patch any holes in the ship. Some breakout like Kempe and get paid, some are let go like Muzzin.

Last edited:

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
The season needs to shake out to buyers, holders and sellers around the deadline. Blake should not overpay now nor can he afford to with what he needs to resign in the offseason. Kempe is a much better all around player than Kaliyev especially on the defensive side of the puck. Before you are a contender you need to get out of your division which just got a lot tougher with Vegas surging. Then you need to get past Colorado, or anyone who topples them. Haphazard moves will not do it. A patient build with surgical acquisitions is the pathway by which Colorado won last year. Otherwise you are just another Toronto trying to take shortcuts, which has not worked in years.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
When exactly has he been moved up to even be given a chance to have his numbers “suffer”?

View attachment 608231

To further the point, Kaliyev has played all of 12 minutes with Kopitar or Danault at even strength this season. In those 12 minutes, the Kings were 20 CF/5 CA and 11 SCF/3 SCA. Seems like things go just fine when Kaliyev is with Kopitar or Danault.

That game he jumped up when Iafallo was first out was his worst of the season, there is a reason it was so short lived.

I'm fine with Kaliyev with Kopitar, I actually think that's the best fit. He doesn't look so good on the third. I'd like to see those two together more, but I doubt we do. It goes back to last year, it's more of a fit thing with Arty and the 3rd line doesn't work. The problem with putting him with Kopitar is the assignments get far tougher. I think he'll be able to do it eventually.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
I want to see Kempe and Fiala reunited, they had some really good chemistry building early in the season. I also don't even think we need the type of LD that Kempe could bring back, we don't really need a star type LD like Chychrun, Clarke and Spence can be the offensive juggernauts for the D in the future. Getting even a somewhat reliable LD is all we need, literally just someone who isn't as slow as Edler and as defensively inept as Durzi

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Fiala, Byfield, Kaliyev?
Grundström, Kupari, Kaliyev?

Would this be ok? Byfield & Kupari need to improve 1st. Dumping a bunch of extra defensive responsibility & harder quality of competition may not help Kaliyev. The problem seems to be bad linemates. Kaliyev needs other rookies to step up & take those spots. This takes time.
I just don't understand the rationale of continuing to play a skilled forward bad minutes when he could be contributing offense.

Why not put him with Moore and Danault? They are defensively responsible and great puck retrievers. His defensive shortcomings are mitigated playing with them. And they cycle/control the puck well enough that even with additional attention on him, it opens up those two.

Arvidsson, a vet, can play with Kupari and Fiala.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
When exactly has he been moved up to even be given a chance to have his numbers “suffer”?

View attachment 608231

To further the point, Kaliyev has played all of 12 minutes with Kopitar or Danault at even strength this season. In those 12 minutes, the Kings were 20 CF/5 CA and 11 SCF/3 SCA. Seems like things go just fine when Kaliyev is with Kopitar or Danault.

Kaliyev did not look good when they moved him up this year, same with last year. It's why it's short lived. That was the 3rd line however.

I would like to see him tried with Kopitar in any case. I don't think Vilardi is the best fit on that line as he and Kopi often tend to occupy the same space. Kempe stays wider, and Kaliyev tends to like the high slot. I think they would complement each other. Arty is doing great where he's at so no rush, but while I see him as Moore's replacement, I think he would slot in better next to Anze.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Re: Moore vs. Kempe

We want to keep both, obviously, but Kempe produces a little more. He's also one of our better penalty killers. Moore does a lot of things that don't show up on the scoreboard. They are very similar, but Kempe is still a level above. It all comes down to how much extending Moore will cost, really.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Fiala, Byfield, Kaliyev?
Grundström, Kupari, Kaliyev?

Would this be ok? Byfield & Kupari need to improve 1st. Dumping a bunch of extra defensive responsibility & harder quality of competition may not help Kaliyev. The problem seems to be bad linemates. Kaliyev needs other rookies to step up & take those spots. This takes time.
Fiala, Byfield, Kaliyev could be sexy. I think I would really like to see Fiala and Kaliyev. I can picture Fiala dangling, drawing D and goalies attention only to dish to Kaliyev to snipe it.

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
I just don't understand the rationale of continuing to play a skilled forward bad minutes when he could be contributing offense.

Why not put him with Moore and Danault? They are defensively responsible and great puck retrievers. His defensive shortcomings are mitigated playing with them. And they cycle/control the puck well enough that even with additional attention on him, it opens up those two.

Is Kaliyev really that defensively bad though? Wasn't that the entire point of last season? To keep him in a limited role on the 4th line so he can become a better all around player, his board play is pretty great, and I don't really ever notice him making consistent D blunders. Although I do agree he should be playing with Danault and Moore.

• Haha
Reactions: Surf Nutz

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Kaliyev did not look good when they moved him up this year, same with last year. It's why it's short lived. That was the 3rd line however.

I would like to see him tried with Kopitar in any case. I don't think Vilardi is the best fit on that line as he and Kopi often tend to occupy the same space. Kempe stays wider, and Kaliyev tends to like the high slot. I think they would complement each other. Arty is doing great where he's at so no rush, but while I see him as Moore's replacement, I think he would slot in better next to Anze.
So by "moving up" you mean playing on the 23-and-under line with Vilardi and Byfield when they were still getting 4th most minutes of lines?

bland

Jul 1, 2004

Being developed to be a 4th liner and a 1st liner are two totally different things. The argument all along has been that the Kings do not put their skilled prospects in a position to succeed in the roles they were drafted to play.

It won't happen by osmosis, if you project Kaliyev to be a top scorer you allow him to learn that position by playing it - even if the results aren't great immediately. It takes time to learn how to play bigger minutes against the oppositions best, to be counted on to produce consistently. Its a mental and physical adjustment and the Kings need to decide if they want to churn out high quality players or eek out mediocre results with "bonus" offense from kids in non-scoring roles.

The argument I make is that the Kings aren't going to win anything in this configuration because they don't have quality role players, instead they have kids destined for other roles in those spots. They would be better off having older vets who know how to close out games and series in those bottom 6 spots if they are serious about winning now.

Playing both ends at once weakens both objectives.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Fiala, Byfield, Kaliyev could be sexy. I think I would really like to see Fiala and Kaliyev. I can picture Fiala dangling, drawing D and goalies attention only to dish to Kaliyev to snipe it.
Sure why not, just throw them out there with Durzi. What could go wrong?

Re: Moore vs. Kempe

We want to keep both, obviously, but Kempe produces a little more. He's also one of our better penalty killers. Moore does a lot of things that don't show up on the scoreboard. They are very similar, but Kempe is still a level above. It all comes down to how much extending Moore will cost, really.
No one skates the puck into the o zone close to Kempe. He will be here for years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Choralone

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Being developed to be a 4th liner and a 1st liner are two totally different things. The argument all along has been that the Kings do not put their skilled prospects in a position to succeed in the roles they were drafted to play.

It won't happen by osmosis, if you project Kaliyev to be a top scorer you allow him to learn that position by playing it - even if the results aren't great immediately. It takes time to learn how to play bigger minutes against the oppositions best, to be counted on to produce consistently. Its a mental and physical adjustment and the Kings need to decide if they want to churn out high quality players or eek out mediocre results with "bonus" offense from kids in non-scoring roles.

The argument I make is that the Kings aren't going to win anything in this configuration because they don't have quality role players, instead they have kids destined for other roles in those spots. They would be better off having older vets who know how to close out games and series in those bottom 6 spots if they are serious about winning now.

Playing both ends at once weakens both objectives.
I get it now you played baseball your whole life!

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Kempe is as much a 30 goal scorer as much as William Karlsson is a 40 tuck kind of guy.
Well his scoring was trending upward peaking at 35 last year, whilst also driving play more (in other words less likely to regress). This year he is on pace for 32 and we’d all agree he’s not hit top form yet. A guy playing below his best but still on pace for 30+ is not a guy you move. Karlssons production came from nowhere riding a 23% sh% and was always going to quickly regress… you’re comparing apples to oranges as you clearly have it in for Kempe (which is fine, but your reasoning is flawed).

Kempe: His issue is playing with Kopi & Vilardi. They do not play a speed game. What he needs is Iafallo to get back, Iafallo, Kopi, Vilardi. This allows Kempe to move to a line where his skills can be used instead of turning into the Iafallo puck digger.

We are 18 games in and that line has not been together long. I see your point but I’m not against giving it more time as our issues are defensive not with scoring goals.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I agree. You need glue players - seems they are always named Trevor on the Kings. With the emergence of Vilardi it makes at least one of our scoring wingers superfluous..have to rule out Fiala.. that leaves Kempe or Arvidson. I would also look at moving Iafallo if necessary - but secondary to Kempe or Arvidson. Given cap room id hang on to Iafallo until Kopi retires.
I would not rule anything out but we are 18 games into the season and a lot will happen before the end of the year, especially with the development of younger players (good & bad). It’s a big early to over think this stuff IMO.

However I will play… I think any of the wingers listed is movable for the correct LHD but the last one you move is Kempe. Moore is also possible at the TDL due to being a pending UFA, but I’d certainly prefer to sign him. RV is a player I appreciate but he’s the one I’d choose to move but as life is rarely that simple let’s see.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021

I'd be fine with trying Kaliyev with Danault. Good probability Kaliyev isn't ready for the extra work that line gets. He is improving quickly. When will he be ready for the extra responsibility? Weeks, Months? End of year? Next Season? Don't know. The cap is going to force a turnover with the roster in the near future & he was on Kopi's line last night after the line blender. Got edged out by Vilardi's crazy start. He'll get a chance.

Reactions: lumbergh

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I'd be fine with trying Kaliyev with Danault. Good probability Kaliyev isn't ready for the extra work that line gets. He is improving quickly. When will he be ready for the extra responsibility? Weeks, Months? End of year? Next Season? Don't know. The cap is going to force a turnover with the roster in the near future & he was on Kopi's line last night after the line blender. Got edged out by Vilardi's crazy start. He'll get a chance.
Kaliyev with Danault and Moore this season: 3 goals for, 0 against in 3 minutes at even strength together, Kaliyev with a goal and assist.
Crazy good possession numbers. Unusual chemistry. I know, sample size, but it's still there. It was even there last season.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I keep Kempe over Moore every day of the week.
Not for me. Moore has only 11 fewer points the previous three seasons, while playing considerably fewer "favorable" minutes (less powerplay time, helped Danault prop up Athanasiou last season, etc).

Kempe has a better shot and better speed, but he's far less disciplined and more streaky.

Is Kaliyev really that defensively bad though? Wasn't that the entire point of last season? To keep him in a limited role on the 4th line so he can become a better all around player, his board play is pretty great, and I don't really ever notice him making consistent D blunders. Although I do agree he should be playing with Danault and Moore.
I don't even think Kaliyev is "that bad" defensively. I just don't think he's been in situations where he's been challenged defensively,

Just out of curiosity, why isn't Kaliyev ready for the extra work?

These are the top 30 line combinations involving Kaliyev (by ice time) at even strength last season:

1668564450685.png

36% of the time he was with Lizotte and Lemieux. The second highest was with Danault and Moore, which was a grand total of 80 minutes all season (which, with his ice time, is about 9 games if we're assuming 9 minutes TOI at even strength). Net positive of goals and shots for (2 GF, 1 GA; 54 SF, 32 SA). In fact, his worst was a whole 16 minutes with Vilardi and Tkachev, where there were 2 goals against and the line was outshot 7-3.

These stats aren't be-all, end-all, but it helps paint a picture that he can hold his own with more responsibility when he gets it.

42 minutes with Kopitar and Kempe wasn't good either, though, as that was a net negative of 2 goals against, but it's not like Kaliyev was the only one to suffer from that. The line of Kempe - Kopitar - Arvidsson was a net -4 (1 GF, 5 GA) in only 36 minutes together. That's less time than Kaliyev with Kopitar and Kempe. Perhaps we should send Arvidsson down to the 4th line to work on his game instead?

Reactions: Reaper45

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Dillon is too old for my taste.

If he was 2 years younger…

P.S. Ottawa does need to be involved in this trade at all.
Forget his age, you get him for his steady defensive play, size and toughness which we lack in spades..

It would be an interesting move and the quality of the return should be quite high.

The Kings have talent in the organization at Kempe's position. You gotta give to get.
I completely agree

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Damn. Doing my man Kempe dirty.

Yeah. We have too many skilled forwards - let's jettison one. This is the first time in forever that we don't have a problem scoring goals and after 18 games of this luxury we're confident enough to jettison the team's top goal scorer from the prior year (and the second-leading goal scorer this year) because we need a competent LD?

I know our resident experts have him pegged to return to his goal scoring totals of two years ago due to the infallible law of "regression to the mean" but I don't think we need to look for excuses to shove him out the door like he only scores in blow-outs powerplays.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
So by "moving up" you mean playing on the 23-and-under line with Vilardi and Byfield when they were still getting 4th most minutes of lines?
Yes, he was moved up in minutes and responsibility. He had 16 minutes which is way more than he usually does. As I said, I think he fits with Kopitar, but he didn't look great the few times he was on the 2nd either. That line is too mobile and north-south, that's not Arty's game at all.

I simply don't see the reason to move him right now. He's excelling and it's giving our lines balance. Let him continue to build his game and confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad