Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
It means they think its likely his upward trend will continue and that he will become a first line player.

But, as we have seen, its not easy for skilled wingers to adapt to playing with Kopitar and that the reason the staff is criticized is that they just tried to force a similar poor fit with Kovalchuk and that anybody with any kind of experience could tell you that Fiala wasn't going to work there either.

Except, of course, this management team that just traded a first round pick and it's 3rd best prospect for a 2nd line player, paid him like a first liner, and now play him on the third line.

Get it? Never mind, of course you don't. I forgot, everything is fine here...
Will be interesting to see how the 19th OA pick Liam Öhgren at eliteprospects.com does for Minne... to be fair, Blake tried to get Faber to join the team, and apparently he was going to bail. So that was a sunk cost and you cant overvalue what he was worth at time of trade... I was hoping the Kings would get an LD and/or a goalie in the off season. I believe they had already written Vilardi off and thats why they went for Fiala... Vilardi's emergence makes me regret the trade - but now that Fiala's here - he's a weapon that adds to scoring and team speed.. continuing the transition away from the old style.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Re Fiala - he's a weapon. Dont care where he is deployed - but I do like him on 3rd line since it means TM will even out the minutes. Our 1st line will not be dominant w Kopi there.. so instead of having a real dominant 1st line (which isnt possible).. we have 3 very solid lines giving the other coach a lot to think about with matchups.

I agree, but its one of the things that really upsets me as a fan. In order for the Kings to truly contend now, they would badly need some more veterans for specific roles, which would mean less minutes for the kids. You can't really add new veteran defensemen or role players because they are spent to the cap.

So instead, logic would dictate that since you can't really contend until the Andersons, Byfield's and Clarkes/Spences/Durzis have more experience, that you don't go for it yet and concentrate on development.

Instead, our team's management decides to try both, which is most likelt going to result in neither since both possible routes are weakened by putting effort into two opposing directions at the same time.

Essentially, Blake - pick a goddam lane and stay in it.

Will be interesting to see how the 19th OA pick Liam Öhgren at eliteprospects.com does for Minne... to be fair, Blake tried to get Faber to join the team, and apparently he was going to bail. So that was a sunk cost and you cant overvalue what he was worth at time of trade... I was hoping the Kings would get an LD and/or a goalie in the off season. I believe they had already written Vilardi off and thats why they went for Fiala... Vilardi's emergence makes me regret the trade - but now that Fiala's here - he's a weapon that adds to scoring and team speed.. continuing the transition away from the old style.
There is ZERO evidence that Faber didn't want to sign here. He also neglected to sign in Minnesota yet - assuming he was a lost cause just isn't valid.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Instead, our team's management decides to try both, which is most likelt going to result in neither since both possible routes are weakened by putting effort into two opposing directions at the same time.

Essentially, Blake - pick a goddam lane and stay in it.
Ive made that same point a few times here (you cant do both)... you look at the forwards and its a contender, you look at the D and you're in a rebuild. On top of that the goalie situation is not right for contending.. so Blake as much as he probably wants to please the fans, DD and Kopi - the right move this offseason was to plug the holes on D and in goal. Thats hard to do politically after making the playoffs.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
There is ZERO evidence that Faber didn't want to sign here. He also neglected to sign in Minnesota yet - assuming he was a lost cause just isn't valid.
I went with a conjecture there - assuming its true, then using whatever value he had was a good call - if 1st rounder wasnt getting it done. Either way there was uncertainty around Faber - which on its own reduces his value to the club..

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
If Chicago is going to tank, they need the right goalie. :naughty: Maybe there's a market after all.

Reactions: Fripp

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Think it's time to see if the Ducks want to move Fowler. He's owed 7.5M in real money the next 2 years. Age puts him past their rebuild. Has a 4 team trade list. Ducks have Terry & Zebras to re-sign next year. They are going to be on the hook for some money.

• Haha
Reactions: Surf Nutz

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Re Fiala- 15 pts in 16 games and tied for team lead. in pts and coming off GW OT goal....Seems like a reason to celebrate that we added a pretty good player to the roster without losing anybody. How can anyone complain about this is baffling.

You think an organization coming out of a rebuild is only made up of the players on the NHL roster?

Pretty naive viewpoint there.

Doesn’t matter what Faber does, odds are Fiala’s the better player than both Faber and the pick combined.
I will GLADLY take those odds on Faber.

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
You think an organization coming out of a rebuild is only made up of the players on the NHL roster?

Pretty naive viewpoint there.
be specific as I have no idea what you are trying to argue here. Adding a guy who is a teams leading scorer and giving a team 3 scoring lines is the type of move that deserves accolades. Moving a prospect and a pick to immediately improve the roster is part of rebuilding. But once again- elaborate as to why this is naive.

Last edited:

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
be specific as I have no idea what you are trying to argue here. Adding a guy who is a teams leading scorer and giving a team 3 scoring lines is the type of move that deserves accolades. Moving a prospect and a pick to immediately improve the roster is part of rebuilding. But once again- elaborate as to why this is naive.
Consider the source here. He just looks for people to argue with

1668192414831.png

back to your point
Especially a prospect that reportedly didn't want to play in LA and was signed.

It was a win win trade. Minny moved a player that they couldn't afford and they got a guy who's dream it was to play for them

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Especially a prospect that reportedly didn't want to play in LA and was signed.

It was a win win trade. Minny moved a player that they couldn't afford and they got a guy who's dream it was to play for them
For clarity's sake, Faber hasn't signed with Minnesota and there have been no reports he would never sign in LA. That was all speculation.

To the question @mysterman2 and bland's point:

Nobody is disputing the talent Fiala brings to the team. However, a team needs to think of the reserves (non-NHL roster) players on top of the NHLers.

Faber, being a top prospect in the NCAA, is a bit more unique compared to other prospects; the NCAA players don't have to be signed until after their senior season. This offers a lot of flexibility to have a talented player on a low cap hit for an extended period of time.

On top of this:

The Kings had 5 veteran forwards in the top six, and were talking about how Kaliyev needs to play in the top-6; Vilardi, JAD, and Andersson were waiver eligible, so they had multiple forwards they needed to do a better job integrating. They traded from a position of strength (RD) and took away from the spot they intended for prospects in their system which they've struggled developing. Instead of using one of their best trade chips to address bigger positions of need (LD or goaltending), they loaded up on another forward and, again, planned to just ice a team based on cap hit.

Management tripping over themselves to walk back on statements made mere months ago is a bit concerning. Trading for immediate NHL talent alone isn't always the best answer.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
The talk about Faber here is eerily similar to the talk of Fasching what, 8 years ago now? Freshman who made all big-10, leader on a major NCAA team, top college prospect, etc. And he was a big winger with great hands.

The fallout of trading him for McNabb was worse than this, slamming DL, management being clueless, and so on. Fasching never did squat, Nic ended up being the biggest thing the Kings gave up. They also got their 2nds back in that trade, one of which became Cernak.

I have no idea how Faber will turn out, but it's silly to get riled over it when we got a 26-year-old top-6 guy who can put the puck in the net - which we've bitched about for years, by the way. Rebuilding or not that's a damn good trade. Even people who hate the trade have to admit that the odds percentage of Faber being anywhere near as valuable as Fiala are in the single digits. There are always ways to make up that ELC money elsewhere.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The talk about Faber here is eerily similar to the talk of Fasching what, 8 years ago now? Freshman who made all big-10, leader on a major NCAA team, top college prospect, etc. And he was a big winger with great hands.

The fallout of trading him for McNabb was worse than this, slamming DL, management being clueless, and so on. Fasching never did squat, Nic ended up being the biggest thing the Kings gave up. They also got their 2nds back in that trade, one of which became Cernak.

I have no idea how Faber will turn out, but it's silly to get riled over it when we got a 26-year-old top-6 guy who can put the puck in the net - which we've bitched about for years, by the way. Rebuilding or not that's a damn good trade. Even people who hate the trade have to admit that the odds percentage of Faber being anywhere near as valuable as Fiala are in the single digits. There are always ways to make up that ELC money elsewhere.
Nobody ever called DL clueless for trading Fasching. They (including myself) rightfully bemoaned the trade as Fasching encompassed all the qualities DL loved, especially character. Especially with the net return of the trade being Brayden McNabb (a prospect at the time) + 2 seconds, none of which made the team substantially better as they were going for a cup run.

Faber, again, is a 19 year-old who played for Team USA in the Olympics. He has shown his ability to move up in responsibility and step up at every level, each within about a week or two.

Nobody's getting riled up, either. There are just a few who see issues with the trade and would like to point out flaws and aren't completely on board with it. There used to be a time when evaluating points and having discussions would be seen as that, and not "bitching" or "getting riled up".

On top of Faber, though, there was the first round pick. The Kings are low on quality LHD and goalies. There were quality players the Kings could have taken (including my favorite, Owen Pickering, who is scoring at a point-per-game pace in the WHL as a defenseman). Or be traded later for a more refined LHD. But now, two valuable assets to fill in gaps in the organization are gone.

It's a great trade from a raw value perspective. But with additional context, organization needs and current position, it is more flawed.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Nobody ever called DL clueless for trading Fasching. They (including myself) rightfully bemoaned the trade as Fasching encompassed all the qualities DL loved, especially character. Especially with the net return of the trade being Brayden McNabb (a prospect at the time) + 2 seconds, none of which made the team substantially better as they were going for a cup run.

Faber, again, is a 19 year-old who played for Team USA in the Olympics. He has shown his ability to move up in responsibility and step up at every level, each within about a week or two.

Nobody's getting riled up, either. There are just a few who see issues with the trade and would like to point out flaws and aren't completely on board with it. There used to be a time when evaluating points and having discussions would be seen as that, and not "bitching" or "getting riled up".

On top of Faber, though, there was the first round pick. The Kings are low on quality LHD and goalies. There were quality players the Kings could have taken (including my favorite, Owen Pickering, who is scoring at a point-per-game pace in the WHL as a defenseman). Or be traded later for a more refined LHD. But now, two valuable assets to fill in gaps in the organization are gone.

It's a great trade from a raw value perspective. But with additional context, organization needs and current position, it is more flawed.

Yeah, I didn't mean like major bitching, we all know how it can get around here. There would be a lot more (rightfully) complaining if Fiala was older, but he's in a good age range. There are always issues with trades of course, but the Fiala trade has very few of those. You may be level-headed, but there are some that definitely arent..

I don't think I can find much wrong with the trade because we have plenty of prospect power to fill our D slots without sacrificing many future assets. My main problem with this org. is they haven't done that yet.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Some good news today.

Let's go baby!

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Yeah, I didn't mean like major bitching, we all know how it can get around here. There would be a lot more (rightfully) complaining if Fiala was older, but he's in a good age range. There are always issues with trades of course, but the Fiala trade has very few of those. You may be level-headed, but there are some that definitely arent..

I don't think I can find much wrong with the trade because we have plenty of prospect power to fill our D slots without sacrificing many future assets. My main problem with this org. is they haven't done that yet.
Sorry, didn't mean to sound defensive. I know you've not acted this way, but it's been frustrating when any attempt to discuss anything is met with a "quit whining, you're bitching too much, you spend too much time on here" etc by the gatekeepers.

Yes, I agree the Kings have more pieces to move, so there is still potential to recoup. I guess the better way to word it is it's not being treated like a priority.

I get that players like Fiala only come available once in a while. But the holes have been glaring for a while, which is why there's additional concern of risking diminishing returns by waiting too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad