Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
If the Kings are going to keep Byfield at 3C until Kopitar is off the team (retirement or contract wise) and try to upgrade the LHD or goalies. Then only 1 of Iafallo, Moore, Arvidsson can stick around now that Fiala is here and signed. Vilardi is showing what he's got, Kupari looks ready for the NHL and Kaliyev needs more top 6 minutes. Blake needs to figure out who fits the team better out of those three. I think Moore is the best option being a year or two younger than the others and most likely the cheapest because the money will have to go to Vilardi.

Kempe--Kopitar--Vilardi
XXX--Danault--Kaliyev
Kupari--Byfield--Fiala
XXX--Lizotte--Grundstrum

Anderson--Doughty
XXX--Clarke
Bjornfot--Roy
Durzi/Spence

So Blake has Moore/Iafallo/Arvidsson and
Walker/Durzi/Roy cap to move around to complete the roster.

I think they need to move Iafallo + Durzi (sell high) this offseason to sign Vilardi and Moore or upgrade a LHD. Next offseason let Arvidsson and Walker leave or move them at the TDL (maybe even Roy too if Spence of Grans is ready).

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Hoping Byfield gets in soon and is put in better situations. Outside of goaltending, he is the most important key to the team's future. Things could get dicey quickly if he fails and we have to look externally for a 1C unless Matthews falls into our lap for free.

Also, just subscribed for a year of Rosen at the Forum Report. Hopefully that takes off and I can just axe my Athletic subscription. Rosen provides much better Kings content since Dillman got canned. Eric Stephens is doing an admirable and grueling job, so definitely no offense to him, but I definitely missed Rosen's writing style and detail.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Vilardi is at 100 NHL games, and 75 AHL games. That's a little over 2 seasons worth of GP in total. Byfield is at 54 NHL and 43 AHL games, slightly above 1 full season's worth.

A lot depends on what a D season is. Is it simply time on a calendar, or do GP factor in? Does a player not play due to injury, or does a coach scratch them in some weird head coach way of gamesmanship against a young player who isn't perfect in every way on the ice every time they touch the puck? If a guy spends 80 games on a 4th line, are those GP worth the same as 80 on a 2nd line? Does it matter if in either case, the player in question is doing what a coach wants him to do in the role given? Should that be the, or even a, standard? All questions we've spent, who knows, 1,000,000 posts and threads discussing.

We know Vilardi goes much higher in the draft without the injuries. We know Byfield was a longer term project from before he was drafted.

If he's up near 50pts again, he will absolutely get at least $5m, from the Kings or someone else. $5.5m likely wouldn't be out of the question, just due to the UFA game.

Again, I’ve said elsewhere that Covid has recontextualized D+ somewhat. Not entirely, but somewhat. I don’t contend otherwise.

Jungle Boy

Feb 12, 2003
Recife, Brazil
We dont need one dman but 3.
A #3 to play with Roy, a number 5 to play with Clarke and a McDermid type #7 to that special games. So much talent on the lineup, so many assets to move and Blake sitting there doing nothing, just sic.

BTW, signing Edler was almost as dumb as Petersen contract

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Hoping Byfield gets in soon and is put in better situations. Outside of goaltending, he is the most important key to the team's future. Things could get dicey quickly if he fails and we have to look externally for a 1C unless Matthews falls into our lap for free.

Also, just subscribed for a year of Rosen at the Forum Report. Hopefully that takes off and I can just axe my Athletic subscription. Rosen provides much better Kings content since Dillman got canned. Eric Stephens is doing an admirable and grueling job, so definitely no offense to him, but I definitely missed Rosen's writing style and detail.
I was disappointed in Dillman's coverage on The Athletic, it felt like she was phoning it in. She's a fine writer but it was just the same quotes that I could read on lakingsinsider or Mayor's Manor with some reader questions sprinkled in every once in a while. Very low effort and rarely anything exclusive or insightful.

Rosen's the best.

Reactions: Telos

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Sabres fan here. Sabres are looking for a RHD. How has Durzi been? Can someone give me a quick run down on his game?

Thanks in advance!

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Sabres fan here. Sabres are looking for a RHD. How has Durzi been? Can someone give me a quick run down on his game?

Thanks in advance!
Wizard with the puck in the offensive end. Wish I could leave it at that but full disclosure he is horrid on the defensive side.

They for some reason have him out on the PK at times so maybe our coaches see something I don’t.

Good on the PP.

With Doughty, Roy and Clarke I hope we trade him for Left side help or just trade him and bring Bjornfot back up to balance the back end.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Walker and Edler should of never been on this team to begin with. Almost 3.5 million in wasted cap space. I hope we move them soon before we fall out of the race. We need a real shutdown LD man and maybe one more Vet to shield Clarke\Durzi. Tobi and Spence don't fit in those roles.

Andersson Doughty
xxx Roy
xxx Durzi\Clarke

Reactions: Jungle Boy

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Might want to take a look at Luke Schenn, again. Yes he’s a righty but can help shelter some of the kids. Would not be upset having him and Edler mentoring the kids.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
This team, both now and in the near future needs a prime Rob Scuderi type who doesn't care about anything other than settling down the play and keeping everything in front of him. A LHD that will support and allow our more adventurous RHDs the time and space to join in on the attack. A boring, calm player.

Durzi on the left is a disaster, was always going to be a disaster, and always will be a disaster. Not only is he a sieve, but the move has actually neutered his 5v5 offensive impact.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Walker and Edler should of never been on this team to begin with. Almost 3.5 million in wasted cap space. I hope we move them soon before we fall out of the race. We need a real shutdown LD man and maybe one more Vet to shield Clarke\Durzi. Tobi and Spence don't fit in those roles.

Andersson Doughty
xxx Roy
xxx Durzi\Clarke
Agree but Id go even further. Anderson DD is not a good top pairing. DD is trending toward the settle the play make wise decision - not stay at home, but def not a big offensive threat. Id like to see an offensive LHD on the top pair.. so xxx Doughty, Anderson Roy etc...

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Jon Rosen thinks there's a decent chance Turcotte will be traded. I think we all kinda saw it coming, but to hear it from someone in-the-know is interesting.
That was the most surprising answer so far. Sad to hear, he is one of the ones I have the highest hopes for. It would sting a little extra that they passed over Zegras for him. It is a shame that he has had the injury history that he's had but I've been hoping of a Vilardi-like arc for him, except I think he wouldn't take as long to get going at the NHL level after seeing him play. It is interesting to hear that the Kings are having active trade talks with him involved.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Jon Rosen thinks there's a decent chance Turcotte will be traded. I think we all kinda saw it coming, but to hear it from someone in-the-know is interesting.
Vilardi taking the step he has, Byfield’s massive upside, and Kupari steadily progressing definitely increase the chances.

Reactions: lumbergh

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
At this point I am willing to pay extra for quality pieces. No matter what some fans think, our brain trust appears to be out of the rebuild on the fly/ re-tool / re - whatever you want to call what we just went through, and are looking at the near future.

We have guys playing in the minors, that could be on the NHL team, but are held back because they can clear waivers and others can't. We are center heavy and Left Defence light and have guys like JAD on the NHL team that could be moved along for better pieces. With our center depth in the NHL and our prospect pool we have better options now and should continue to have better options in the future. This is not saying JAD is a bad player, it is saying he could be a useful trade piece.

The same exact thing could be said about Durzi. Why keep the guy when we are loaded on the right side. Doughty will be our number 1 for the foreseeable future, Roy is our only physical right side element and can plus 2nd pairing minutes, and Clarke is getting better each time out in the defensive end, and should provide just as much offence as Durzi in the near future. Hopefully with a lot better defence as Durzi is an absolute shit show back there. If Clarke starts to stumble we still have Walker and Spence to throw in.

At this point even if Blake cannot get a left shot dman back, trade Durzi while tons of teams are screaming for right shot dman and recoup a high pick to ensure our prospect cupboards stay stocked. I personally don't think the team would be worse at this current time if we benched Durzi and brought Bjornfot up to even out the defensive pairs and bring a more defensive look to the team. We defiantly have a lot more fire power overall this year with the additions or Vilardi, Fiala, Clarke and a healthy Doughty and Arvi.

As for Arvidsson I loved the trade at the time but he is starting to piss me off with his stupid shot selection at times. His line mates have a sustained cycle going, defenders are getting tired and Arvi takes a bad angle shot that hits nothing and ricochets out of the zone allowing the opposition the opportunity to get fresh legs out there. I would be good trading him to fill a need on D and letting Kupari, Vilard, or Kaliyev take those minutes.
Trading from a strength.

I love the people mentioning Soucy. I start that package with Durzi and JAD and do it sooner then later to see how he fits. If he fits contract talks can happen. If he doesn't re-sign we lost two players that are repetitive. I know the dude on a good team is a third pairing guy that offers size and little offence but he dishes hits, blocks shots and kills penalties. We could use him. Edler on the third pairing is looking rather ragged and is skating in cement. The last few games he has killed offensive drives by taking weak ass wrist shots from the blueline right at the goalie.

Just think its time to balance out the lineup a bit and instill a bit more defence into the game.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I think it would be unwise to trade now unless the return is a mid 1st or player that can slot in to a need like LD. His value is currently at an all time low. Would be better to see if he can get healthy and show something this year in the A... then make a move.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Why would Rosen be "in the know" more than the mayor at this point? Never thought his speculations we're worth much at all.

Faust is actually employed by the organization, let's see what he thinks.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Interesting points from Rosen's AMA:

- He thinks there is a good chance Turcotte's future may not be in LA as he is being included in trade discussions and they are open to parting with him.

- They are going to keep Clarke, but need to play Walker because of his contract and he hasn't played much and they need to play him in order to show his game is back to where it needs to be for a trade.

- Iafallo is still week-to-week, but it is not a serious injury and he should be back within 6 weeks.

- The Kings still think Byfield is on track and feel the injury delayed him and think that Iafallo's injury and losing that chemistry is unfortunate.

- Rosen believes the Kings have a bigger goaltending problem than defense. On defense, they are running into getting rid of Mattaa who was well regarded internally and have replaced him with an undersized defensive corps where only Edler has size and reach, but the issues with goaltending are apparent. Quick's age and injury history won't hold up and Cal is a good guy, works hard with Ranford, but he lacks much depth to his game and the situation is becoming inflexible concerning his contract and the slump he is in.

- He believes a trade will happen for an upgrade on D which will open up opportunities for Spence (who he believes is already a top 4 D) and Bjornfot.

- He believes they are looking for a LHD that is younger with term that has size and reach. If they acquire a forward it will be a rental at the deadline whose contract is expiring.

Last edited:

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
I think it would be unwise to trade now unless the return is a mid 1st or player that can slot in to a need like LD. His value is currently at an all time low. Would be better to see if he can get healthy and show something this year in the A... then make a move.
The problem is that the longer you wait on him, the less the return becomes. The only way his return skyrockets is if he suddenly puts together a full year or two of great hockey with no injuries and, at that point, why do you trade him? The flip side of that scenario is that he continues to struggle to get healthy, gets in a couple of games, gets injured again, then his value is absolutely non-existent. He's a part of a trade, he's not the centerpiece. Not at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad