Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I still think Byfield will be more of a facilitator if/when he hits.

Seems more like a Joe Thornton type.

Hoping he can be a Tage Thompson.

Funny you mention Tage Thompson.

Look how long it took Tage Thompson to become Tage Thompson.

Or Mason Marchment.

or Blake Wheeler.

Not sure he's that Thornton esque but if he is, he's at least surrounded by shooters. He's got a good shot himself, I'm sure he'll use it more when he gets more confident too.

Rick Knickleback

May 18, 2022
Long Beach
I really think a Fiala/Byfield/Kupari line could work well. You need a good mix of players for a successful line. Kupari doesn’t even need to be a scoring machine for that line to work. Skate hard, dig for pucks and the opportunities will come.
Fiala and Byfield make a lot of sense, for a couple different reasons. Their styles certainly jibe and they're both relative newcomers looking to make their bones as Kings (and both struggling a wee bit out of the gate, though maybe in different ways for different reasons). Byfield and Arvidsson would be another combo worth a look at if the opportunity arises.

I love Kupari more than the average Kings fan, I've come to realize, so I'd love to see him on that line, though Moore or Grundstrom would also fit well, IMO.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Funny you mention Tage Thompson.

Look how long it took Tage Thompson to become Tage Thompson.

Or Mason Marchment.

or Blake Wheeler.

Not sure he's that Thornton esque but if he is, he's at least surrounded by shooters. He's got a good shot himself, I'm sure he'll use it more when he gets more confident too.
Yeah I think he's going to score some goals. He's had a couple runs in Ontario where he scored like in five straight games or something. It's about building that confidence and aggression.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
What's the expectation for Moore on a contract extension? Something similar to Kempe?

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Of course he is but Moore after January 1st last year was on a 70 point pace. This season so far 60 point pace. He's certainly someone worth keeping. 5m x 4 years maybe?
Even if he were to score 70 points I wouldn't offer more than say 4.5

He's shown to be a good player; but I don't trust him to be a legit top six forward. In my eyes he's an ideal middle sixer.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I think you definitely try to keep Moore if the price is right and explore the market for Arvidsson. Could be an underwhelming Bjorkstrand esque return, and we’ll have to be fine with that in the name of progress.

Cianide

Under New Management
Jun 11, 2022
Vilardi is obviously having one hell of a coming out party. We needed one of Vilardi/Turcotte/Byfield to hit big, and it’s looking like Vilardi was the one to do it.

Most of the issues on this team fall on management. Blake has hoarded picks and prospects for years now, which has resulted in a lot of logjams and not a lot of roster stability. Players like Iafallo and Walker remind me of Quincey and Frolov. Good players. Important bridge players. But ultimately didn’t fit into the long term trajectory of the team.

Blake is good at a lot of things, but he’s not decisive with his NHL roster, and that concerns me. He doesn’t seem to have any identity or culture in mind for this team. He sits on prospects and continues to roll in new veterans. Meanwhile, we have six or seven of the exact same mid-size puck moving defensemen, and can’t seem to leverage that into areas of actual need.

A few of us have been pretty vocal about this for years now, and it bears repeating. Most GMs can sit on high picks and draft good players. Some GMs can make shrewd trades and bring their team out of a rebuild. Few GMs can transition from playoff contention to Cup contention by fine tuning their roster and making tough decisions.

Blake has demonstrated he’s a part of the first two groups. Is he a part of the third? I guess time will tell.

TMac is TMac and won’t be head coach when this team starts to actually contend. Not much there worth analyzing.
That's just like your opinion dude.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Man, I'm conflicted. On the one hand, I hate the cesspool of the main boards. On the other, this Montreal proposal of Josh Anderson for Vilardi+ is hilarious.

Not to mention some Habs beat writer suggested to keep an eye out for Vilardi, as he may be waived (this was before the season started).

• Haha
Reactions: Schrute farms

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Man, I'm conflicted. On the one hand, I hate the cesspool of the main boards. On the other, this Montreal proposal of Josh Anderson for Vilardi+ is hilarious.

Not to mention some Habs beat writer suggested to keep an eye out for Vilardi, as he may be waived (this was before the season started).

In fairness, that proposal was before the season started. Not like they’re asking that today.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I kept that in consideration as I read the thread. It doesn't get much better.

Plus the notion the Kings would waive Vilardi was absurd to begin with.
On this very board it was not a foregone conclusion that Vilardi would make the team this October. I'm just glad Vilardi has put any doubt to bed.

Reactions: Fat Elvis

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
We can’t wait around for 5+ years on every prospect. What’s happening with Vilardi is extraordinary, but people need to understand how rare it is for a D+5 to breakout this suddenly and explosively. Vilardi is the exception, not the rule.

Vilardi is at 100 NHL games, and 75 AHL games. That's a little over 2 seasons worth of GP in total. Byfield is at 54 NHL and 43 AHL games, slightly above 1 full season's worth.

A lot depends on what a D season is. Is it simply time on a calendar, or do GP factor in? Does a player not play due to injury, or does a coach scratch them in some weird head coach way of gamesmanship against a young player who isn't perfect in every way on the ice every time they touch the puck? If a guy spends 80 games on a 4th line, are those GP worth the same as 80 on a 2nd line? Does it matter if in either case, the player in question is doing what a coach wants him to do in the role given? Should that be the, or even a, standard? All questions we've spent, who knows, 1,000,000 posts and threads discussing.

We know Vilardi goes much higher in the draft without the injuries. We know Byfield was a longer term project from before he was drafted.

What's the expectation for Moore on a contract extension? Something similar to Kempe?

If he's up near 50pts again, he will absolutely get at least $5m, from the Kings or someone else. $5.5m likely wouldn't be out of the question, just due to the UFA game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Moore is severely underrated on these boards. Big fan of his work ethic and has shown offensive production. Saying that, he will not get Kempe's $$$. I see something around ~4.5 for 5 years or so. I think he stays and he will be the first player to sign this off season because of his UFA status.

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009

It wasn't just the beat writers. We had a thread on the main forum that talked about which players to keep an eye out for with possible waivers, Vilardi was mentioned multiple times (with a lot of interest from other teams).

Vilardi stepped up more than everyone's best expectations. For a player that went through an entire year of laying on the couch (not by his own choice) to become the team leader in points, you can't help but root for this kid.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
It wasn't just the beat writers. We had a thread on the main forum that talked about which players to keep an eye out for with possible waivers, Vilardi was mentioned multiple times (with a lot of interest from other teams).

Vilardi stepped up more than everyone's best expectations. For a player that went through an entire year of laying on the couch (not by his own choice) to become the team leader in points, you can't help but root for this kid.
I just love how it almost instantly debunks the theory that the Kings org is unable to develop a top-6 forward from the 1st round. Patience is key, period.

Looking forward to the emergence of Kupari, Turcotte and Byfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad